Replaced bottom rubber seal on bedroom slide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
This falls under the heading of "I hate to let someone else work on my rig".  And a lot of the time that someone is a RV dealer who assigns the repair to someone who know less than you, and hurries to get through the job just to get it done.  Not always, but it seems that happens a lot.  When my rig was still new and under warranty, I noted that I could see daylight under the bedroom slide when it was extended. When I was getting close to the end of the warranty period, I decided to have the dealer fix a few items that were minor, but necessary :p.  I had noticed that on occasion I would have varying degrees of wet spots at the corners of my bedroom closet slide.  Sometimes it was minor, and others it was significant.  I had the dealer replace the rubber seal, hoping that would fix it.  I picked it up and didn't get to use the rig for a while due to work, and when I did we were most likely in a dry climate so I didn't notice any issue for a while. I could still see daylight under the slide when extended though.  When we started full timing the issue came back from time to time. And in some of the really colder climates we were in we noted that the bedroom would get colder than the rest of the RV during the night. 

Then a few days ago during a stop over on the Gulf Coast in Florida, we had some really heavy condensation and dew one night. The next morning I had two really wet spots on each corner of the carpet of the closet slide. That was it, this had to be fixed.  I went on Winnie's site and viewed the diagram of the slide parts. Then I called Winnie Customer Service and spoke to a service tech.  I discussed it with him and he was really helpful.  He also told me that the seal used on the bottom of the slides is not a special material, and is in fact used in many other types of sealing uses. 

So, being on the road I went to the most available location for misc parts.  Lowe's or Home Depot.  In this case Lowe's was the closest, so I went there. I found a good replacement seal in the form of a soft rubber seal used at the bottom of a garage door. The seal even had an angled edge on it that allow it to sit flat against the slideout floor when attached to the slideout opening.

Lowe's garage door seal

This is a pix of the remaining seal on the living room slide. It is a flat piece of rubber with the thinner edge at the top. It is still holding up.

Winnie installed slide seal

Here is a pix of the new seal installed under the bedroom slide. 

New seal installed

The new slide out seal was about 1/4 shorter than the Winnie seal, but the new seals flat edge did a good job sealing tight against the slideout floor. The seal came in two lengths from Lowe's, 9' and 16' rolls. The 9' roll was about $6 and the 16' roll about $13.  Somehow I think that it was a bit cheaper than getting it from Winnie or a RV dealer for that matter.

The most important thing here was probably prep.  I pulled off the old seal and the dozens of staples that were over used by the dealer tech to do the replacement seal. Pulling the staples was a pain, but using a pair of vice grips and rolling the staples out to the side worked well. Here is the really important part.  The new seal was tucked in behind the rubber seal that runs up the side of the slideout. Once you get all the staples pulled out you can pull the side rubber back about an inch to tuck the new seal in behind it. That was a point made by the Winnie service rep, and what the dealer tech failed to do. He just stapled it right over the side seal. That is what allowed the water intrusion into the bedroom all this time.  And you couldn't tell by looking because the corners appeared to be securely stapled down. 

The other really smart thing I did was listen to the DW and buy an electric Arrow stapler for about $40.  I was going to try to cheap out with the manual stapler, but one I got under the slide I found that this would have been impossible to use as you have to press the stapler into the space between the slideout floor and RV wall opening. I used 9/16 inch staples, the longest the gun would handle.  The whole process took a little over an hour, and cost less than $50.

And after a rain last night, we are in Lafayette La. that was a torrential down pour for about 2 hours, the floor this morning was dry as a bone ;D.  I know it was done right, and saved some $$ in the process. 

Sarge

Great that a repair is successful especially when you do it yourself and you know it is better than a deal may do.  Thanks for the report.

Sarge, that is the EXACT seal that is under our curbside Kitchen slide.  Thanks for the pics and the "do it yourself" instructions!  :)

One question...is the "angled" portion of the new seal angled OUT or IN against the bottom of the slideout bottom?

Sarge - nice job!  I always prefer to try to fix things myself if possible.  Aside from the factory, you really can't trust any dealer's tech to do a proper job unless you know then and have confidence in their work.  If you are on the road, it is usually a complete crap-shoot.

Here is the improved Winnie seal kit the factory installed on my bedroom slide.

Good question Mark. I realized that I left that out after I posted it. The seal is actuall angled in.  In the first pic, my thumb is on the side of the seal that goes towards the motorhome floor.  In fact the crease on on the seal will just about line up perfectly with the top lip of the plywood edge.  Use that as a guide when you attach the seal to the floor and the seal lines up perfectly with the floor of the slide.

John, those side seals look identical to the side seals on my rig.  Maybe I was the recepient of the new improved seals.  My bottom seals though are not close enough to the slide to use something like that.  The slide hardware raises the floor of the slide up about an inch from the cutout in the wall of the motorhome.

Thats what it looked like Sarge...the seal angled in....My Kitchen slide seal looks exactly like your old one, and my other two slides look like Johns.  Thanks for the update.

Since the improved seal kit was installed on our bedroom slide, we have never had a leak (finger's crossed.)  I learned that Winnebago was installing that kit on other slides as well that had a leak problem.

Great post and pics Sarge.  While we've never had a leak, I can see a bit of daylight under our wardrobe slide.  I need to replace that seal and this will be very helpful.

It's good to know this is such a generic fix (and a nice job too). You spoze your new staples will rust like the old ones (a personal gripe to me)?

Sarge, I checked one of the local Lowe's stores and all they had was vinyl garage door seal...white.  Certainly not what you have in your pics.

Was it a MD product:

MD Door Seal

Jeff, you know they might.  I did note that pulling out the old ones that the heads were rusted.  I don't think that the Arrow staples were stainless, not at $2.98 a box. 

2dalake, I'm not positive of the make, but I think that it may have been MD.  It was a yellow bag and came in a roll.  I thought about that after I threw it away that I shoud have taken a pic of the bag.  I did find the Lowe's receipt though, the item number was 39234, and was listed as "9' rubber garage"  They should be able to locate the right item by the item number.

Sarge, It looks like the seal that winnie installed(floor seal) is tucked behind the side seals. In other words the side seals went on after the floor seal. I thought you said the tech didn't install it right.  Is that not the right way or am I not seeing it right.  Do you have a pic of how the floor and side seals look with the new seal?

The pic of the Winnie installed seal is installed correctly.  That was a pic of the seal under the living room slide that is still in good condition.  The one that I removed and replaced was the one that was installed by the dealer.  It was tacked on top of the side seal.  Good observation though!  When I installed the new one I pulled the side seal out and tucked the bottom seal in back of the side seal.  It wasn't hard to do either, that's what irritates me.  A few more minutes and the seal probably would have held up fine. 

ok thanks Sarge. Thought I was having a moment where I was seeing something i wasn't seeing and not understanding what I was reading. I went out and checked mine and they look ok. Good info to know

I just replaced the lower seal on my bedroom slide today using the garage door seal described by Sarge.  It was easy to do and the MD seal I got from Lowes fit like a glove.  I used Monel staples in a Stanley electric stapler.  As Sarge noted, I just don't think you could get it done with a manual stapler (and it was the perfect excuse to get a new tool  ;).  I thought removing the factory (rusted) staples would be a real pain but it was fairly easy.  I just pried out 3 or 4 on one end, then grabbed the old seal and yanked.  The seal pulled out all but a few of the remaining staples..those were easily removed with pliers.  No more daylight showing under the slide now.

Thanks for the tip Sarge.

Voyage1 said:
Are Monel staples stainless steel? 

According to Arrow, Monel is an alloy of 66% nickel and 33% copper.  These staples are recommended for the marine environment or any location where there is moisture and/or the possibility of galvanic reactions....even that can occur with stainless steel.  $19.95 for a box of 1000 staples. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom