Water lines replacement questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbostic

Had to use coach in emergency camping in my motor-home garage during freezing weather! Great ice storm of 2009 in western Ky beginning Jan 26th. Long story short-was lucky I parked motorhome full of gas. Was four days before roads were clear enough to drive to get more gas etc. Had winterized water part of coach only to have to add water for use during the emergency. Some nights were close to single digits. Ended up with leak in compartment which houses water pump next to HW tank. I am waiting to better weather to fill again and trace out leaks. My question is are the water lines standard size in most motorhomes and fittings would be the same from manufacturer to manufacturer?? 2001 Winnebago-would it be time for water pump replacement? Is it best to have several water cutoffs so as to isolate a leak and still be functional just as you would in a house. Had minor leak at flush valve at commode and thought I was going to have to drain my fresh water when I realized after shutting off water pump and pull up on foot pedal to empty water in lines into bowl thus relieving pressure it would stop. Will look into replacing this valve before next trip

jbostic said:
My question is are the water lines standard size in most motorhomes and fittings would be the same from manufacturer to manufacturer??

Highly unlikely

2001 Winnebago-would it be time for water pump replacement?

No, not necessarily.  If you dry camp a lot and the pump has lots of hours on it, you might be a candidate for a replacement.  Even at that, I think I would just carry a spare and wait until it dies to replace.

Is it best to have several water cutoffs so as to isolate a leak and still be functional just as you would in a house.

I don't think so because it is fairly easy to shut off the water if you need to work on the system.

A water pump should last many, many years. Life is more like 20-25 years than 7-8. But a freeze can crack a housing or burst the diaphragm and require a rebuild or replacement.

The water lines don't differ much is general type but sizes, colors and fittings vary all over the map. On the other hand, most hardware stores and home centers will have the required components.

A few high end rigs may have shut-offs for individual lines (Beaver was noted for doing this) but since it is so easy to shut off the pump and disconnect from city supply, most manufacturers don't both with any (or very many, if they do). If you can locate the main feeds to the galley and the bath, it may be worthwhile to add a shutoff so you could keep one supplied while working on the other.

I suspect the lines will be a fairly "Standard" size.. Just not one you are used to seeing.  But an RV dealer will have the proper line and fittings

And the good news is that the lines themselves likely survived.. The leak is most likely a fitting.

NOTE: threaded fittings ARE standard size, 1/2 inch IPT normally, and thus when I frooze a line I replaced it with a short length of ready made flex pipe from Home Depot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom