The Journey begins!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smoky,

Be sure to take in the evening presentation at Mt. Rushmore!!! If they are still doing it the same way it will bring tears to your eyes. It was quite impressive.

Glad to hear they got everything fixed for you.  Sounds like you are going to have an enjoyable trip.  Do you plan on taking in Devils Tower near Sundance Wyo? Remember Close Encounters of the third Kind :D

Have a safe trip.

Smoky said:
? Passing through Chicago was scary as I thought the GPS was wrong when it directed me off I90 and on to I80.? As a result, I not only missed the cheap fuel in Gary IN, but had to drive right through downtown Chicago on the Skyway.? That was quite an experience.? I wanted the Admiral to take pictures of the tall skyscrapers through the coach front window, but she hid in the back until we cleared Chicago lol!? I am learning to trust this Garmin 2620.

I can not tell you how many times I thought "Hilda" (aka Garmin 2610) was wrong but  she has not let us down.  At times she takes quirky little jogs but she gets you right back on track.  I always tell Terry, "learn to trust your navigator."  Sometimes that navigator is me but mostly it is Hilda.

Glad you are more comfortable with driving.  Tell Admiral the interstates in Montana will be a perfect starting spot to drive.  You can  measure rest stop to rest stop, stay in the right lane and  little if any traffic will whiz by.  I know of no other deserted 2 lane highways that are any better for a beginning driver to gain confidence.

Betty Brewer

Betty Brewer said:
I can not tell you how many times I thought "Hilda" (aka Garmin 2610) was wrong but? she has not let us down.? At times she takes quirky little jogs but she gets you right back on track.? ?I always tell Terry, "learn to trust your navigator."? Sometimes that navigator is me but mostly it is Hilda.

Glad you are more comfortable with driving.? Tell Admiral the interstates in Montana will be a perfect starting spot to drive.? You can? measure rest stop to rest stop, stay in the right lane and? little if any traffic will whiz by.? I know of no other deserted 2 lane highways that are any better for a beginning driver to gain confidence.

Betty Brewer

Yep, our 2620 is named Rosie and I also doubted her going through Indianapolis recently.  She had me "going out of the way" to get on our next road.  I saw a "shorter" way and took it.  After several miles we discovered that there was no entrance for the interstate from that direction and we had to backtrack and then follow her instructions.  "Off route - recalculating!"  "Yes dear".

We turned off the off route voice, it was too annoying and too frequent :)

Lorna drives where she wants.  It doesn't matter what Garmin or I say :)

Ned said:
We turned off the off route voice, it was too annoying and too frequent :)

Marlene refused to let me upgrade from the SPIII to the 2610 unless I promised to keep the voice off. Just the announcements of the upcoming turns were too much for her.

Jim Dick said:
Bernie,
That kinda defeats a major reason for having the Garmin! ;D

Jim

Not quite, I just have to look at the map display more often. Sometimes Marlene will let me turn Hilda on when we are in unfamiliar territory just to keep my attention on the road and warn me of basck to back turns.

Anyone tried the new 2720?? It looks awesome.? Also looks like they omitted the 2710 version, and offer only the preloaded maps now.? Works for me!? But I will stick with the 2620 for now.? Especially as I had to buy a new laptop today.

Which leads to why I have been "off the air" the past week.

We are now in Rapid City SD and having a grand time.? We decided to stay here at Happy Holidays RV Resort for 8 days.? We will depart for Sam's camp this coming Sunday.? Have oodles of photos of Rushmore, Needles Highway, Deadwood, etc but will have to wait to upload them until we get the new laptop going.? Goodness how I hate the conversion process to a new pc.

We lost Internet capability when we ran out of Verizon digital coverage in SD.? We can still talk on the Verizon phone network, but they will not allow any form of Internet connection in the non digital areas or areas where they use third party carriers.

Our campground does have a kickass WIFI, but this week our old laptop decided it would NOT allow wireless internet access even though it shook hands fine with the WIFI server.? I could have spent this week wrestling with that problem, but decided I had had it with the "aging" (only 2 years old) laptop.? I cannot believe how fast pc related stuff becomes "obsolete" and begins giving problems.? I am also angry at how the software companies have managed to make it very difficult to move software from one pc to another.? I tried for several hours to reinstall my MSFT Office to the new computer and finally gave up and used the 60 day pre-installed trial version, which means I have to buy another package.? I am sure I will run into similar problems with Norton and Quicken and other stuff.? I may end up keeping the old laptop just so I won't have to buy so much new software.? Got a great deal on an HP ZV6000, with the 64bit Athlon chip, 100 gig hard drive, 2 MHz processing, and lots of other goodies.? But the good deal will get eaten up by the forced repurchase of software.? Ugh.

We love this area and never realized how beautiful the Dakotas are.? I had always pictured them as dreary and drab.? Wrong!? 8 days will not be enough, but we have to move on.

We cracked the big passenger side MH windshield on the way here.? A call to the dealer was discouraging, as they said they would have to inspect it and our warranty would not cover stone damage.? However a call to Newmar gave us a different story.? They said when we reached an area that had a dealer where we would stay long enough to get on their work schedule and also allow 4 to 5 days for shipping the large window, they would cover it under warranty.? I asked about inspection.? They said, "What?? On a coach you just bought 2 months ago?? Don't worry about it."

This is a big reason we bought Newmar.

We also are getting a lot of dings and scratches on the Taurus toad.? So today I bought a used Blue OX shield that mounts on the hitch.? I would also like to find a place that sells those vinyl windshield covers.

It is still early in our young fulltiming life, but so far we can't imagine why we did not do this sooner.

Smoky

Smoky said:
We are now in Rapid City SD and having a grand time.  We decided to stay here at Happy Holidays RV Resort for 8 days.  We will depart for Sam's camp this coming Sunday.  Have oodles of photos of Rushmore, Needles Highway, Deadwood, etc but will have to wait to upload them until we get the new laptop going.

Smoky,

Are you driving the toad more or less than you originally planned?

Phil

LOL Phil!!  ;D

Hard to say at this point.  We hardly used the toad at all on the legs to SD.  We would travel hundreds of miles each day in the coach, then anywhere from 1 mile to 20 miles in the toad.

But now here at Rushmoire I have filled the toad tank twice while the coach sits and sits.  Time will tell!

I bought Delorme SA to hear the voice. After 200 miles Sue said "shut it off or I'm getting out".  :-[

Now I use S&T only which I like to use better anyway.

Smoky,
Sent you an email regarding the drive and Msft software.
When I was out there, I also had some trouble connecting wifi. Found out that I had to right click the wifi icon (bottom right of the screen) or go to Network Connections and hit the Repair button to activate or reinstate the wifi. Also, you will find that the farther north of I94 and away from major towns you get the less Verizon coverage you will have for National Access and you may have to resort to hardline phone connections. What I did was just send/receive email by phone and waited until I had wifi or Verizon to access forums/internet.

Jeff /Washington said:
I bought Delorme SA to hear the voice. After 200 miles Sue said "shut it off or I'm getting out".  :-[

Now I use S&T only which I like to use better anyway.

Jeff

Sue and Marlene must be related ;D  She would only let me upgrade to the Garmin 2610 if I promised to keep the voice off. I also much prefer S&T to SA, but only have Garmin on when driving.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom