What is that sealer Winne uses on the roof?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCVJeff

The stuff that seals the antennas, vents, GPS antennas, etc.? Sure doesn't act like Dicor, it cuts like rubber...

Jeff,

It is silicone believe it or not. I ordered some and when I recieived it it turned out to be NuFlex 311 self leveling joint sealant Silicone. I don't think I'll be using when it is time to redo any of that caulking. I have no use for silicone. Hard to get off and nothing sticks to it.

I'm pretty sure that Winnebago doesn't use Silicone anywhere on the coach.  Call customer service to make sure, or check the Winnebago site for clarification.

Jeff, I'm pretty sure I read on other boards that it's Dicor.

It's like Dicor, but I think it's another brand.  I use the Dicor CW sells and it works fine.  Harry - no silicon!!  Silicon is very bad news and it won't last more than a year or so - I learned the hard way on the boat.

Is Dicor also used when running a bead front to back where the roof meets the gutter.  I'm not convinced that this is the right stuff for this application but thought I would check here.  There has been a kind of ongoing preventive maintenance discussion on another forum of this particular area and the correct sealant to use.

jc2 said:
Is Dicor also used when running a bead front to back where the roof meets the gutter.  

NOPE!  Dicor is a self leveling caulk.  It's a different caulk that goes on the side. 

You visited Craig CO. lately?    :)

jc2 said:
Is Dicor also used when running a bead front to back where the roof meets the gutter.   I'm not convinced that this is the right stuff for this application but thought I would check here.  There has been a kind of ongoing preventive maintenance discussion on another forum of this particular area and the correct sealant to use.

This  Winnebago SITE lists the sealants used for various model years.

I ordered the part number as stated for my coach and what I mentioned above (Nuflex 311 Silicone) is what I received It also had the correct Winnie part number 131264-03-01A written on it. If you look at your spec sheet, it is mentioned for use only on the roof. No where is else is it mentioned for use on the coach. I ordered it from Lightsinn Motors parts dept. and they generally know what they are doing .

I agree with you about the silicone John. If silicone is on my roof and I am pretty sure that is what it is, it will not be be replaced with silicone when needed. I have learned to dislike that stuff.  I have used Dicor for any roof work I have done so far.

Voyage1 said:
NOPE!  Dicor is a self leveling caulk.  It's a different caulk that goes on the side. 

You visited Craig CO. lately?    :)

Negative on the Craig.  The son will be here tomorrow for about a week visit.  I told him not to bring the cold/snow with him. ::)

Harry B said:
I ordered the part number as stated for my coach and what I mentioned above (Nuflex 311 Silicone) is what I received It also had the correct Winnie part number 131264-03-01A written on it. If you look at your spec sheet, it is mentioned for use only on the roof. No where is else is it mentioned for use on the coach. I ordered it from Lightsinn Motors parts dept. and they generally know what they are doing .

I agree with you about the silicone John. If silicone is on my roof and I am pretty sure that is what it is, it will not be be replaced with silicone when needed. I have learned to dislike that stuff.  I have used Dicor for any roof work I have done so far.

Harry - yeah - Lichtsinn is very good but if the Winnie spec'd sealant is silicon based, I have a huge problem with it.  Winnie factory service redid some seams on my roof to sidewall joint and rear cap to roof/sidewall joint last summer and I think the sealant has already separated.

John,

The Nuflex 311 is used just on top of the roof. It is used for all the openings through the roof and the front and rear cap overlap on the top not where it curves over the side. None the less that is silicone but it seems to be holding up so far.

On the sidewall to roof joint Winnie specs require p/n 094401-04-000, which is Stone Mason - Gutter and Siding Sealant. Ordered this from Lightsinn as well and double checked with Winnie when I received it, to make sure it was the correct sealant as I was a bit surprised by what I received. Winnie stated that is what they use at the factory. I was not impressed by its performance as I have had to redo that roof seam multiple times now (usually every 6 months it lets go somewhere). I am still looking for a better solution.

I have used 3M 5200 on the joints where the caps overlap above the roof/sidewall seam  with side. The 5200 has held for 2 years almost, which is much better than from the factory. The only drawback is that I have to paint the 5200 sealant about once a year as it is not UV resistant, which takes me maybe 5 minutes. It is however not letting go, so no leaks.

3M did not advice using the 5200 for the roof/side seam because of the UV issue, movement of the joint and 5200 not adhering as well to metals

I wonder if the non-self leveling Dicor acts more like this stuff? It seems to be able to be poured on pretty thick (1/4") without running or trying to level itself out.

Harry B said:
3M did not advice using the 5200 for the roof/side seam because of the UV issue, movement of the joint and 5200 not adhering as well to metals

Harry - that's really interesting 3M doesn't recommend 5200 for that application.  On the boat, I typically used 5200 to bed deck fittings (which were usually stainless steel) to fiberglass.  The sealant typically wasn't exposed to sun, so there usually wasn't a UV issue.  Sounds like you have had good performance with it even though you have to do the paint routine every year.

I think I'm going to investigate some other boat caulks/adhesives as candidates for the roof-sidewall joint.

SCVJeff said:
I wonder if the non-self leveling Dicor acts more like this stuff? It seems to be able to be poured on pretty thick (1/4") without running or trying to level itself out.

Jeff - I think Dicor comes in different formulations for how think it winds up after it levels out.  Might be a little tricky trying to use that on anything but a flat surface.

What started this is that I changed out the AS-2003 DSS antenna with the new Winegard (boy is it nice) and was looking for a nice seal that coagulates like the OEM stuff does. Self-leveling Dicor does what it states; seeks the low points, and on a flat roof......

on my '06 Outlook Winnebago list the sealant used on the roof around vents, rear cap, skylight  as part # 131264-03-01A.....................Silicone-Brt/Wht w/o nozzle...........CSL 515 Self-leveling  Winnebago Sealant callout and this Winnebago exterior sealants by Manufacture

If it is Silicone, It is no silicone I have ever seen . Not a RTV silicone. I would like to find a local source for this part number and take a good look at it. WHat ever Winnebago uses is a really good product.  Still having a hard time believing it's silicone.

The MSDS sheet from CSL for CSL 515 http://www.cslsilicones.com/pdf_files/CSL510MSDS.pdf

And here is the Data sheet http://www.cslsilicones.com/pdf_files/510tech.pdf

And CSL is calling it a RTV....now I'm confused with this product.

the guy's at winnie told me that it was routine to re-seal the roof to both the front/rear cap of the motorhome every year. our's looks like plain ole silly cone :D I used something called PAC from a local rv guy seems to work good, and flex's fine too? kevin

kevin said:
the guy's at winnie told me that it was routine to re-seal the roof to both the front/rear cap of the motorhome every year.

Yeah - that's probably a realistic timeline.  Check twice a year and re-goop about once a year.  I stand by my aversion to silicon  8)

Hummmm.... There is a spy amongst us. I got an email yesterday from one of the well known RV supply stores with this mysterious original Winne silicone sealant on sale.

Hi All:  Have been reading these posts so called winnie.  They told me that they use a MANUS BOND 75AM on the roof seals.  So now I am completely confused.  It seems you have to order this stuff through a dealer.  Checked on-line but unable to find a seller.  Also why wouldn't the 3m 5200 be good for the roof into the side gutter be a good fix.  I'm just really mixed up on this important maintenance.

Thanks russ

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom