Water Heater pop-off valve leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LK23

I have a small drip coming from the outlet of the water heater pop-off valve.  I assume I need to replace the valve.  Is this a standard valve that can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes?  Or, do I need to go to a RV supply store?

Very likely you have lost the air that is required for expansion and thus when the water expands the pop off valve does its job.  Try reestablishing the air head.  This can be accomplished by letting the water cool and with the water supply turned of open the popoff valve manually and let the water drain out till it stops.  Another way is to drain the tank part way with the water supply turned off then reinstall the plug and turn the water supply on.  Open a hot water tap and let it run till no more air is present.  This should fix your problem.

Ron is exactly right.  However, in the off chance that replacement is required, it is a standard pressure relief valve available at any hardware store.

Sarge

Thanks for the replies.  Winnebago customer support suggested the same thing.  Following their advice I turned off the water pump, opened the the pop-off valve and ran a inside faucet to create a air pocket.  The leak stopped for awhile and is now back.

Help me understand the concept.  The water will leak out but not air.  That doesn't make sense to me.

LK23 said:
Thanks for the replies.  Winnebago customer support suggested the same thing.  Following their advice I turned off the water pump, opened the the pop-off valve and ran a inside faucet to create a air pocket.  The leak stopped for awhile and is now back.

Help me understand the concept.  The water will leak out but not air.  That doesn't make sense to me.

Air is compressible while water is not.  With just water in the tank the pressure on the valve is much more when the water heats up due to expansion so the valve operated as dedigned and releases the excess pressure.  With some air in the tank it can compress when the water expands therefore the valve is not exposed to the extreme pressure it was with just water in the tank.  Try drains more water out of the tank via the drain plug as I described in the second option.

Ron,

Thanks, that finally makes some sense.  I will try again to get some air in the top of the water heater.  I don't want to remove the drain plug since I seem to have "a thing" going with that plug and the right amount of teflon tape to keep it from leaking.

The household sized valve sells for <$10, the RV sized valve is >$20.  Don't ask me either :)

Back
Top Bottom