Mozilla Firefox becoming fat and slow??? Or is it just my PC??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When a client once asked about color terminals, I told him I'd get him a box of crayons.  What did I know :D

Tom said:
I recall when we used gas for lighting at home and for street lights, and heated our home with coal. I see no reason to go back.

While I never had the experience of using gas lights fo lighting in our home somewhere around here I have several of the gas lights that mounted on the wall from an old farm house that was given to me.

I was a DOS diehard and took forever to switch to Windows, and see no reason to go back.
[/quote]

Your luck just look at how many versions of windows one had to buy before they came out with a version that worked.  I think 3.4 finally was usable.

I had Windows 2.1 in 1987 and it worked fine. I was getting too lazy to use DOS anymore.

seilerbird said:
Does it take forever to close Windows when you are not using the inverter? It shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to close Windows.

Now that you mention it, Windows DOES close much faster on shore power.  My inverter is a 1750 watt Xantrex.  I have been wondering about adding a filter of some kind because of the lines in the TV.  The inverter is about 6 years old.

How do you shutdown the computer?  If it's a laptop and you use the power button or just close the lid, the type of shutdown can be different when on battery than on 110VAC.  These settings are in the Control Panel | Power Options.

There should be no difference in shutdown times running on inverter or shore power.

Ned said:
There should be no difference in shutdown times running on inverter or shore power.

I agree completely. Do you know to close all the applications before you shut down? Why don't you try and time the shutdowns for us?

I see variations in shutdown time on my Windows XP.  It can vary from <30 seconds to up to 2 minutes.  Fortunately, I rarely have to do a shutdown.  To speed things up a bit, you could use hibernate rather than shutdown.  It's faster than shutdown and restarting is faster than a full boot.  And you can leave your applications open and they'll be right where you left off.  Do save any open files (like in a word processor) before hibernating, just in case there's a problem on the restart.

One thing that can cause variations in shutdown time is if you have automatic updates activated for a bunch of applications and/or Windows. They usually do their updating when you shutdown. I have all of mine shut off and I close everything before I shutdown. Therefore my shutdown time is always the same, about 15 seconds.

Greetings, gang!

Thanks for all your input on this.  One thing that seems to be working is to run CacheCleaner at startup every time on the PC.  It really seems to help the speed a LOT.  Since I have started doing that, shutdown has sped up a lot.  I do shut off all my apps before shutdown.  Things have improved so much that I don't feel the need to time stuff at this point.

The other thing I will try eventually is to take apart the case on the PC to see if dust and dirt are actually slowing things down.

I tried Google Chrome. Yes it's faster - but it's just a personal thing that I don't want Google tracking my every keystroke (not that I have anything to hide.) <g>

I am just glad to have wireless connectivity to the Internet after all those years of acoustic couplers. <g>

I sincerely doubt that cleaning the inside of your computer will speed things up. However, it is a good idea to clean out the dust from the inside of your computer from time to time so that the fans don't become clogged.

It is possible that dirt in the heat sinks and fans is causing overheating and that can cause some computers to slow down the processor to prevent an overheat shutdown.  In any event, computers accumulate a lot of dirt in an RV and regular cleaning can avoid problems.  I use canned or low pressure air to blow out the dust bunnies.

Liz,

Thanks for the tip!  I downloaded and ran the free version, and my system speeded up even more.  It also apparently found things in the registry that my paid version of Registry First Aid didn't find.

If anyone knows what the downside of the iObit programs are, please let me know.  Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom