yes another...........can I safely tow it question ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeFore2

I currently drive a 2008 chevy silverado c/c w/ 5.3 , 3.73 w/ factory towing equipment and trailering suspension. I have researched until I am blue in the face trying to make the right decision on a new tt. This truck according to GM and the vin has the suspension and equipment to tow 7600 lbs safely with a combined weight rating of 13k. That being said, I am considering a jayco fthr. exp 213, dry 4260, maxed 5500, on paper I should be more than ok. I pulled an equation from this site and factored the truck, fuel load, family and other gear and come in at just a shade over 11000 lbs total for everything and it put me into that 10% range, actually closer to 15%. I am not new to towing and pulling but I am looking for other opinions concerning this set up, I realize that the factory numbers are averages but just how far off are they is the question ? Has anyone got anything similar that can vouch for this truck with this size load and it's overall performance ? Am I going to be forced into third gear the entire trip or will the tow/haul mode be sufficient ?

it is 5500 lbs. . Not exactly a 30 ft. cow trailer loaded with restless steers but the truck isn't a stake bodied dually either, thus my concern.

Your 7600 lb tow rating appears to be adequate based on your description of the load (trailer, passengers, etc).  A 2000 lb margin on the GCWR when fully loaded is excellent. You should also estimate where you stand of the truck's GVWR when fully loaded, but I would not expect a problem there assuming it is a travel trailer rather than a  fifth wheel. You won't be rushing up the hills with that 5.3L engine - it simply doesn't have enough low end torque to do that -  but you will get where you want to go. No need to rush - it's a vacation, right?

Yes, Tow/haul mode should be sufficient for most terrain.

Hopefully somebody here has a similar truck and trailer and can reassure you.

You will need a good weight distributing hitch - Equalizer or Reese Dual Cam are excellent choices.

a rather frightening experience as a child with my parents and a camper has me a little over cautious. If I can maintain good highway speed and have enough to pass if needed that's all I am concerned with. I live in Ga. and steep grades are hard to find unless you venture into Tenn. and the Carolinas. Which I have done with this truck a 3000 lb p/u and gear in the bed and had no trouble. In fact I had to use cruise to keep my speed down going through Atlanta. I appreciate your response and value your opinion. Jeff

Know what you mean about a bad experience - we flipped a nearly new travel trailer over many, many years ago. My wife still won't have a TT on the back - when we got back into RVing 13 years ago, she insisted on a fifth wheel rather than a TT.  And now we have a motorhome, which she greatly prefers over any kind of trailer.

Mine was not that extreme but we did stall out on a steep grade with no way of getting down. So my dad in his infinite wisdom at the moment decided to try to back down and the the right side wheels got off the road. Well my brother and I had a nice view of the 1000 ft drop that just so happened to be on that side. We made it with the help of a tow truck that I honestly would not have thought could pull itself much less us up that hill. Amicolola falls in northest Ga. was the location, it's still stuck in my head.

I'll beat my standard drum:  Make sure you have a GOOD brake controller with enough power to operate the trailer brakes - and make sure they are in perfect condition.  There's nothing scarier than coming upon stationary traffic and having to take to the median (if there IS one).

yes I have towed the one I currently have through stop and go traffic in Atlanta I am confident it works. My wife says I am too anal about stuff and that I would buy a mack truck to pull a 4 wheeler trailer if I could, just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom