Dometic Refrigerator Fire In Our Motorhome --- Pretty Scary!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsalhus

The Dometic refrigerator in our motorhome caught on fire today.  We heard some kind of weird noise in the refrigerator area, and then we saw smoke.  Shirley was getting some ice out of the freezer when it happened.  I was sitting outside in a lawn chair at the time when I heard the noise.  Right away I pulled the refrigerator cover off of the outside and saw some smoke there.  It seemed like the electrical wires were smoking from the insulation burning.  I ran inside and manually shut the refrigerator off (it was on) and then went back outside and pulled the wiring plug where the fridge was plugged into the AC outlet.  More smoke started coming out the side where the cover was removed and out of the top of the motorhome where the fridge vent lid is located. 

Next, I saw flames coming out of the top of the vent on top of the motorhome.  That really got me excited!  I grabbed the fire extinguisher and climbed up on top and put the fire out.  Flames were shooting out about 4-6 inches above the top of the vent and melted the cover completely.  The fire extinguisher put the fire out pretty quickly, but when it continued to smoke I sprayed it again with the fire extinguisher.  This time the fire went out for good.  We thought about calling the fire department, but I managed to douse the flames without too much trouble.

Inside the motorhome, the AC was out everywhere.  I reset the main breaker (30 amp) and everything came back on, except the fridge.  I was going to post a picture here of the melted vent but my camera batteries went dead just as I snapped a picture.  Maybe I'll post a picture tomorrow as it just got dark here and my batteries are now recharging.

Now I have to find somewhere to get the fridge fixed/replaced.  I don't suppose our Progressive insurance will cover this, or will it?  We're parked at The Resort in Mesa, AZ.  Anyone know of a good place around Mesa/Phoenix to get a new fridge?  I know there's quite a few RV places to choose from but how to choose the best place?

In case anyone was wondering, it's a Dometic New Dimensions side-by-side (10 cubic foot) refrigerator.  And it's not one of those recalled by Dometic.  I have no idea what caused it to catch on fire, maybe someone else has an idea.  I'm pretty sure it was running off of AC before it caught on fire, but it's set on automatic so it could have switched to propane when the circuit breaker tripped, I guess.  I didn't notice whether it was running off of propane or AC when I shut it off.  A few neighbors saw the smoke and came running over but the fire was pretty much out by then.  Anyway, a pretty exciting day in the park I would have to say!  It's a good thing we were home when it happened!

Pretty Scary!!!  YES, Good save!  Progressive should wave your deductible and buy you a new frig. If you are a DIY guy you may try PPL in Texas, hard to beat their price and service, delivery was so fast to NY that I could not believe it came from Texas, but it did. Good luck

www.pplmotorhomes.com

Progressive should wave your deductible and buy you a new frig.

Is that the voice of experience talking or just a hope and a prayer?  You sound like something similar happened to you.  Care to share it here?

Rolf,

Wow!! That was a close one. If I were you I definitely would contact Dometic and ask what they suggest. They may want to have someone look at your frig to determine whether they have a new recall in the making.

Depending on how quickly you must get a new frig installed, you might consider Camping World. They won't be the cheapest, even with the Presidents Club discount, but they could most likely get a new unit installed very quickly.

In my opinion your insurance should definitely cover the damage to your motor home. Whether they cover any part of the frig, I have no idea.

Good Luck and please keep us posted on your situation. We are headed for Apache Junction for a few days tomorrow afternoon and may look you up.

Richard

Contact your insurance and ask them how THEY want to proceed. Also contact Dometic.  Glad you guys are all right.  BTW your insurance should cover lodging expenses to while repairs are made.

I have been working for Holiday Motorhomes out in Quartzsite, we have a store in Mesa.  Some of the techs came out to work on rigs here and they were real good.  Store is a good operation.  I have not been to the Mesa store, but they seem to have a good reputation.  If you go there, tell them Bill from Quartzsite sent you.  If you talk to Bob, the owner, or Wally, one of thetechs, they should know me.

Meantime, Progrressive should likely cover.  Call them.

Richard,

There really isn't that much damage to the motorhome (I don't think).  I see some smoke stains inside around the frame of the refrigerator and of course the vent lid on top is completely melted, but I didn't see any other damage than that.  Of course, the full extent of the damage probably can't be determined until the refrigerator is completely removed.

I called Dometic and got the phone numbers of a couple of places around Mesa that deal with Dometic fridges.  I didn't talk to anyone at Dometic about the problem, maybe I will do that during  business hours tomorrow.  A Progressive claims adjuster will be calling me in the morning before noon.  I have a claim number already so we'll see what the adjuster has to say.  Progressive has been real good to me in the past, and they sure have been fast.

Yeah, stop in if you're passing through, it's on Ellsworth Rd just north of Southern Ave.  We're in site 698 which is a left turn on D Street.  The security guard can tell you where that is and if he's not there just drive on in.  The streets start with A and go in order, so it's a snap to find. 

Ron and PancakeBill,

I've already contacted Progressive.  Thanks for the advice.  I'll try to keep this updated as things progress.

And I would contact Dometic regardless of the model.  And maybe the NHTSA as well.

Hi Rolf

PLEASE chase this up with Dometic and try to insist they get someone to look at it.

It could be a problem for other RVers too and they may not be as quick to put the fire out as you were.

Paul

RV Roamer said:
And I would contact Dometic regardless of the model.  And maybe the NHTSA as well.

Call Dometic first thing in the morning with the refer model number and serial number.  Then call your insurance company with Dometic's determination in hand.  After that get the paper work for a NHTSA report and send that in as well.  I would also contact the fire department before any work is done and see if they will inspect it for cause determination.

If and when the Fire Department inspects it, take pictures of everything as they tear it apart.  IF they do not inspect, take it apart yourself and take lots of pictures.

I believe in covering all bases.  I did this type of thing for an accident that was originally determined to be my fault.  It took me 3+ years but I got it turned around and all my costs including the deductible returned to me and the insurance company went after the other guy for what they had paid.

Hope and a prayer, But you did save Progressive allot of money, I think they will take care of you and as Ron pointed out will most likely pay for a motel if needed. Keep us posted, and good luck.

Didn't they have a recall for this very problem?  I am pretty sure they did at one time a few years ago.

Not sure if this applies to your model but there was a recall issued in 2007 for certain Dometic 2-door refigerators.

Vehicle Make / Model:    Model Year(s): 
        FLEETWOOD / AMERICAN EAGLE    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / AMERICAN HERITAGE    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / AMERICAN TRADITION    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / BOUNDER    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / DISCOVERY    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / EXCURSION    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / EXPEDITION    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / FIESTA    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / FLAIR    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / JAMBOREE    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / MALLARD    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / PACE ARROW    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / PIONEER    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / PRIDE    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / PROVIDENCE    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / PROWLER    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / REVOLUTION    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / SOUTHWIND    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / STORM    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / TERRA    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / TERRY    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / TIOGA    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / TRIUMPH    1997-2004

FLEETWOOD / WILDERNESS    1997-2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number:  07V120000 
Summary: 
CERTAIN MOTOR HOMES AND TRAVEL TRAILERS EQUIPPED WITH A TWO-DOOR REFRIGERATOR, MANUFACTURED BY THE DOMETIC CORPORATION, MAY HAVE A DEFECT IN THE BOILER TUBE. PRESSURIZED COOLANT SOLUTION COULD BE RELEASED INTO AN AREA WHERE AN IGNITION SOURCE (GAS FLAME) IS PRESENT. 
Consequence: 
RELEASE OF COOLANT UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS COULD IGNITE AND RESULT IN A FIRE. 
Remedy: 
FLEETWOOD WILL BE WORKING WITH DOMETIC IN ORDER TO REPAIR THESE REFRIGERATORS (PLEASE SEE 06E076). DOMETIC WILL REPAIR THESE REFRIGERATORS BY INSTALLING A SECONDARY BURN HOUSING, A THERMAL FUSE, AND A MELT FUSE FREE OF CHARGE. DOMETIC HAS RETAINED STERICYCLE INC. TO MANAGE THIS CAMPAIGN. STERICYCLE WILL ASSIST YOU IN LOCATING DEALERSHIPS OR SERVICE CENTERS AND WILL PROVIDE ASSISTANCE WITH SCHEDULING OF APPOINTMENTS. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DOMETIC/STERICYCLE AT 1-888-446-5157 OR FLEETWOOD AT 1-800-322-8216. 
Notes: 
CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV. 

I know the OP said his fridge was not under the recall, but for other owners the recall may apply as well, hence the posting.

Vehicle Make / Model:    Model Year(s): 
        REXHALL / AERBUS    1998-2005

REXHALL / AMERICAN CLIPPER    1998-2005

REXHALL / ANTHEM    1998-2005

REXHALL / BASE CAMP    1998-2005

REXHALL / REXAIR    1998-2005

REXHALL / ROSEAIR    1998-2005

REXHALL / SAN SCAPE    1998-2005

REXHALL / VISION    1998-2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number:  07V417000 
Summary: 
ON CERTAIN MOTOR HOMES EQUIPPED WITH A TWO-DOOR REFRIGERATOR MANUFACTURED BY THE DOMETIC CORPORATION, THE REFRIGERATOR MAY HAVE A DEFECT IN THE REFRIGERATOR BOILER TUBE. PRESSURIZED COOLANT SOLUTION COULD BE RELEASED INTO AN AREA WHERE AN IGNITION SOURCE (GAS FLAME) IS PRESENT. 
Consequence: 
RELEASE OF COOLANT UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS COULD IGNITE AND RESULT IN A FIRE. 
Remedy: 
REXHALL WILL BE WORKING WITH DOMETIC IN ORDER TO REPAIR THESE REFRIGERATORS (PLEASE SEE 06E076). DOMETIC WILL REPAIR THESE REFRIGERATORS BY INSTALLING A SECONDARY BURN HOUSING, A THERMAL FUSE, AND A MELT FUSE FREE OF CHARGE. DOMETIC HAS RETAINED STERICYCLE INC. TO MANAGE THIS CAMPAIGN. STERICYCLE WILL ASSIST THE OWNER IN LOCATING DEALERSHIPS OR SERVICE CENTERS AND WILL PROVIDE ASSISTANCE WITH SCHEDULING OF APPOINTMENTS. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE JULY 4, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DOMETIC/STERICYCLE AT 1-888-446-5157 OR REXHALL AT 1-661-726-0565. 
Notes: 
CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV. 

Thanks for the help everyone.  The model number of our Dometic refrigerator is NDR 1292, and is not one of those being recalled.  Ours is a 2-door, but not top and bottom.  It is a side-by-side type.

I tried posting some pictures but the total size was too big so I'll try fewer pictures.

The first picture shows the view from on top of the motorhome.  You can see how the lid was melted from the flames.  The second picture shows this in a little more detail.  If these pictures come through OK I might try attaching some more later.

Attachments

• P2230006 Compressed.jpg
    P2230006 Compressed.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 292
  • P2230009 Cropped.jpg
    P2230009 Cropped.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 289
Rolf,

Those two pictures came out OK. Scary!

I tried posting some pictures but the total size was too big so I'll try fewer pictures.

Let me know if you're still having problems. The current attachment limits are:

250K per attachment.
12 attachments per message.
2Mb per message.

That translates to eight 250K attachments per message, more if they're smaller file sizes. To add more, just reply to your own message and attach them to your reply.

And the other moral of this story is to have one or more good fire extinguishers readily available and know how to use them....but one other thing. Monday morning quarterbacking, I think you or someone should have called 911 for the Fire Dept anyway. If your attempt to extinguish the fire had been unsuccessful, the whole situation could have gone south in a big hurry.

Rolf,

First, let me say how glad I am that you were there when this happened and that you were able to prevent a real disaster.  I'm glad you're both safe.  Wow, scary is an understatement!

Second, I do agree about calling the fire department.  If you hadn't been able to put it out, you could have lost your whole motorhome and the fire also could have spread to your neighbors.  This would not be a good thing!  We once had a house fire and it was on the same wall as all the incoming telephone lines so I couldn't call for help.  Luckily a neighbor heard me yelling and called 911.  I was alone at the time and was really glad to see those firemen.  They praised me for getting it out but also chastised me for trying to go it alone.  The good thing post-fire was that they checked out the attic and made sure nothing was smoldering up there.  They also determined that it started at a small plug-in coffee pot timer which they took to have evaluated.  Rolf, you really need to find out what started that fire in your refrigerator.

Third, we have a Dometic four-door refrigerator that also is not on the recall list, but when one model is adversely affected, others frequently are too.  Please do follow up with Dometic.  At the very least they probably should replace your refrigerator.  They should determine what caused the fire and, if it's a manufacturing defect, perhaps there are enough others that there should be another recall.  Our GE dishwasher in the house was in a recall (potential fire hazard) and when I started checking on the internet I discovered there were a whole bunch of items they manufactured in the same time period that also had recalls or a large number of complaints, hence my above comment about other models.

Finally, I hope this thread will prompt everyone, but especially new RVers who may not be very savvy about these things, to get decent fire extinguishers and put them where they can be grabbed in a hurry.  The ones that come with RVs generally are not all that good and having several is important because fires can spread quickly in RVs.  We have four total - one in back, one in the kitchen, and two in front.  Money well spent in my opinion.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom