battery cut-off switch itasca meridian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

felse

As a new full timer,I suspect this question has been asked many times..However,I would like to know
what is the normal position for the battery cut-off switch located at the entrance to the m/h.

thanks.

Without knowing how your switch is labeled I can only give you a generic answer

ON/USE/connected means the battery is connected and can provide power to the lights, water pump furnace and other things that either run off 12 VDC or need it to operate (For control reasons)  It also means the battery is connected to the rig's converter so it can be recharged.  (Some rigs will charge even if disconnected)

That would be the NORMAL position of the switch.

I turn mine OFF when refilling the propane, or gas, that way I'm 100% sure nothing is going to kick in and generate a spark on me.

I would also turn it off if I have a battery issue and need to run just on the converter..  NOTE: Some older rigs the converter will not work properly without the batteries connected

And you might wish to not only turn it off, but actually lift the negative lead off the battery for long term storage

This sounds like a switch that activates a cutoff relay in the battery bay. With the switch in one position, the relay connects the battery to the coach systems, and in the other position the relay disconnects the batteries. So, the "desired" position of the switch depends on whether you want to run the 12V systems.

Some RVs have two switches and two relays; One is for the house batteries and the other is for the chassis batteries.

This is not a unique question to an Itasca.  I'm not aware of a cut off switch having a "normal" position.  My understanding is that it's either "on or off". 

I have an Allegro Bus and have had a hard time figuring out if my battery cut-off switch is in the on or off position.  It's not labeled for "on or off".  If we are using the coach, we have the switch on "on".  If we are storing it and want to prevent the batteries from draining, the switch is "off".  The easiest way for us to figure out if the cut off switch is on or off, is to leave a 12 volt light fixture turned on.  We push the cut off switch button, if the light goes off, then the switch is in the "off" position and vice versa.  That is about as simple as we can make it for ourselves.

Marsha~

felse,

As a full timer myself, I have never turned off the battery disconnect switch inside the MH. When I do so, all the power is cut to the 12 volt electronics in the rig.  I lose all my radio presets and clock memories as well.  I have used the chassis battery disconnect on occasion if I am boondocking for a while. That switch is in my rear engine compartment and just keeps any electronics from draining my starting batteries.  I usually won't use it unless I am going to be dry camping for a week or better.  By the way, on my 06' the battery disconnect is on the dash.

Sarge

Sometimes a remote switch, such as I have, has 3 positions which in my case are labeled  use/no lable/store

The "Normal" position of the switch is "no lable" (which if OFF on that particular type of switch by the way)

However Use = ON and Store = Off.  for the battery disconnect.  I did not cover this type of switch above cause. Well... confusion.

However normally I press "USE" (ON) and that's it, save when fueling up

felse said:
As a new full timer,I suspect this question has been asked many times..However,I would like to know
what is the normal position for the battery cut-off switch located at the entrance to the m/h.

thanks.

Hey there and welcome!  As a full-timer you leave the switch alone (i.e., in whatever position that gives you 12V power to the house) - Winnebago has a continuous-duty solenoid always operated when you have house power.  When the switch is in the off position, power is cut to the coil and the contactor opens up the circuit.

Starting about 2005 in at least some models, there is also a chassis battery disconnect switch - mine is located at the front of the engine (or the rear of the coach.)

Oh - congratulations on being a full-timer - it's a great life!

It's amazing how much confusion a couple of little switches can cause.  However, most of the confusion is caused by the terminology used.
The switches are called disconnect switches, but if you think of them as battery ON/OFF switches, the logic becomes clear.  more clear?  ???

Most disconnect switches do have a center, or home, position that the switch returns to when either the up/on or down/off has been pressed and released.  This is because the solenoid (actual  battery disconnect mechanism) is mechanically latched in the selected position and does not need constant voltage applied to keep it activated.  The switch rocks back to neutral and the solenoid remains (on or off) until the opposite state is selected. 

A small indicator light for the ON condition would have been nice.

That's the WHY and HOW...  You decide WHEN... ;D

And as a full-timer you might want to consider a cover over that switch or Sarge will be advising you on what to reset next... :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom