2002 Ram 1500 towing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilcane88

Hello all,
  I'm in the market for a TT (was looking at class A then decided we needed to start small) and have found a 1996 Jayco Eagle 33' withslide out in good condition for $5850. The weight of the trailer is around 7300#. My max towing capacity on the class 4 hitch i have is 7100#. However, this model is a fifth wheel and roughly 20% of the weight is applied to the rear axle of the truck. Thats 1460#. so that leaves 5840# of trailer weight. add 1000# of supplies and that puts me at 6840#. My axles are capable of 1850#. that puts me at 400# under max for my axles. with 6840# of pull weight that puts me at ~300# under max. I've read that its best to stick around 90% of my max towing capacity so thats 6390#. I dont plan to travel more than 90 miles on trips and would tow it probably 10 times a year. My questions are: Is it possible? Is my thinking on the right track? Also, below is the information on my TV.

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD quad cab with Hemi 5.9 L V8 and Sport package. Thanks

you can't subtract the weight the truck is carrying it still has to pull it. Its best that you use the gvwr of the trailer and compare that to the 5th wheel tow rating of your truck I think that you will find that the  trailer is too big.

You are over complicating the problem.   Use tow rating of your truck which is 7100lbs with the 3.55 axle or 8100 lbs with the 3.92 axle or 7000 lbs with the 3.92 and the optional twenty-inch wheels and tire Sport Group.  All assume the 4 speed auto.

I suspect your trailer does not weigh 7300 lbs.   That sounds more like a base or dry weight.  What you want to use is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) which can be found on the DOT plate on the left side front of the unit.  

Discount the tow rating by 10% and compare that to the trailer GVWR.  (Make that 20% for the mountain or Pacific west.)

With a 1500 you are likely to run into rear axle gross axles weight rating (GAWR) issues.   Take 20% of the GVWR of the trailer for a pin weight.  Check that against the trucks rear axle GAWR.   You may find that it overloads the axle.  

By the way true, conventionally hitched, travel trailers load only 10-15% of their weight on the coupler and weight distributing hitches distribute that equally among the truck axles.   You may find that a TT is a better match for your 1500.

Carl L said:
You are over complicating the problem.   Use tow rating of your truck which is 7100lbs with the 3.55 axle or 8100 lbs with the 3.92 axle or 7000 lbs with the 3.92 and the optional twenty-inch wheels and tire Sport Group.  All assume the 4 speed auto.

I suspect your trailer does not weigh 7300 lbs.   That sounds more like a base or dry weight.  What you want to use is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) which can be found on the DOT plate on the left side front of the unit.  

Discount the tow rating by 10% and compare that to the trailer GVWR.  (Make that 20% for the mountain or Pacific west.)

With a 1500 you are likely to run into rear axle gross axles weight rating (GAWR) issues.   Take 20% of the GVWR of the trailer for a pin weight.  Check that against the trucks rear axle GAWR.   You may find that it overloads the axle.  

By the way true, conventionally hitched, travel trailers load only 10-15% of their weight on the coupler and weight distributing hitches distribute that equally among the truck axles.   You may find that a TT is a better match for your 1500.

thanks for that information. It was very useful. Also, i prefer the Travel Trailers over the 5th wheels but its hard to find a good one around here for $5500 or less. Thats the only reason i was considdering the above 5ers. Thanks

i agree with you. I've started searching for a 27' TT with small slide out that weighs in at about 5400# and found a few already. thanks

I pull a 28 ft TT weighing about 6300 lbs loaded with out 2005 Dodge 1500 Quadcab 4x4, 3.92 axles, 20" tires, 5.7 Hemi.  If I recall correctly, my truck is rated to pull up to 8200 lbs.  I have towed in the mountains in Colorado up to 11000 ft. and have been satisfied with the performance.  I generally tow at 60 mph in tow/haul mode on good level highways and get somewhere in the range of 10-12 mpg depending on wind direction and/or grade.  Hopefully, this will give you some idea of how your might perform.

Back
Top Bottom