Goodyear tire experiences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BernieD said:
Ron

IIRC Toyo had a bad experience with RV applications when Country Coach used the tires but misused the pressures and load capacities. In order to avoid future issues, they just stopped recommending the tires for RV usage.

What ever the reason is I wouldn't want to be using Toyo tires and have any kind of problem since the manufacturer does not recommend RV applications.  I doubt one would get much support if an issue did arise.

We have had excellent service from our Goodyear tires and there is no reason to try an unknown.  Now if I had not had such good service experience with Goodyear and was unhappy then and only then would I want to try something else which would really be an unknown.

I have Bridgestone at the moment but they are coming due.

Saw a new Fire truck today, beautiful, and it had Goodyear tires- 22- does that mean they are good? Government selected them. ??  Who knows?

I asked the fireman if I could buy the truck; $130.000 and you can get one, he said.  ;D

carson FL

carson said:
  Saw a new Fire truck today, beautiful, and it had Goodyear tires- 22- does that mean they are good? Government selected them. ??  Who knows?

I doubt that the Government (we are talking local government, right ???)  checked off "Goodyear" on it's order form. The Goodyears are probably what the truck builder was working with at the time.

Bridgestones, Toyos and Yokahamas are all top brand manufacturers, probably larger than Goodyear right now. I've used them all on my track car.

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd mention that I scheduled to have my tires replaced.  I called all the local tire dealers and found the best price here (Wausau, WI) to be $367.52 per tire (For the Goodyear G670's) and $4.00 for stems.  I ordered the dynabeads and they are going to put them in for me.  I also asked if they have Nitrogen and how much.  He said $10 per tire but said they would throw that in for free, (maybe you should ask for this when shopping around).  He found me tires that are 4 months old from manufacture date.

Thanks to this site I think I made good decisions regarding tires.  I probably wouldn't even know to replace them (until experiencing a blowout, since they look brand new), if it wasn't for this site!  So thanks again!!  My family is safer thanks to you all.

Darren

Darren G said:
  I also asked if they have Nitrogen and how much.  He said $10 per tire but said they would throw that in for free, (maybe you should ask for this when shopping around). 

Darren

Sounds like you got a good deal on good tires. Make sure the valve stems are metal. Also, get him to drop the price a couple of bucks and use regular air, nitrogen doesn't gain you anything in the RV application, and it will be expensive to maintain over time (cost of finding nitrogen when adding air).

My investigations on nitrogen revealed that a nitrogen fill will result in less moisture going into the tire than with regular air, preventing moisture caused interior deterioration.  Additionally, proponents claim that pressure fluctuation will be reduced in nitrogen filled tires.  Lastly, when pressure does need be to increased, regular air can be added to a nitrogen filled tire with no ill effects, thus only the initial fill will be nitrogen, when I need to add it will just be regular air.  Therefore, I have chosen to go ahead with a nitrogen fill.

Darren

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse but for the record, the amount of moisture in the air coming from an air compressor and the pressure fluctuation difference is minuscule and insignificant in RV tire applications. Since RV tires almost always age out before wearing out, any interior tire degradation would be immaterial. Nitrogen fills work well in race car applications and airplane tires. For RVs, it is overkill. You pay your money and take your choice.

When the G169's were installed the dealer inflated all of them to the 125 max psi.  Could someone who has a 40'
Fleetwood tell me their air pressures until I can get my Tradition weighed.  It would at least give me a starting
point.  Thanks

Ron

Ned is correct, although I can see why you'd want a "starting point" until you can the coach weighed. I'll bet that 125psi is at or close to the max pressure for the rims.

I realize it was not exactly part of the quesiont - but we had very bad luck with G169's.  They WOULD NOT balance, even using beads, and ended up wearing out at 25K miles because of cupping.

We had G169 tires previously and the front tires did show some excessive wear patterns, but it was due to an alignment problem.  The drive axle tires wore normally for the 5 years we had them.  We never had any balance problems with any of them using Equal.

Tom said:
Ned is correct, although I can see why you'd want a "starting point" until you can the coach weighed. I'll bet that 125psi is at or close to the max pressure for the rims.

Could very well be over pressure since many rims have a max pressure of 120.  Best to check the rim look in the area of the valve stem for the max rim pressure.

Per Ned's suggestion, I located the GAWR on the sticker.  It said Front = 10400 and Rear = 19000.  So that should
be 10400/2 = 5200 per wheel front, and 19000/4 = 4750 rear.  In the Goodyear inflation table it has 5400 = 90 and 4770 = 85.  That does not sound like a lot of air pressure to me.  Are my computations correct?  Thanks

Ron

Those pressures sound about right for a 275/70R22.5 tire.  I would run 95 in the front and 90 in the rear until you get the actual axle weights.  I usually run about 5psi over the table pressures to allow for temperature variations and leakage.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom