EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Holding Tank Questions  (Read 3877 times)

ajparish06

Holding Tank Questions
« on: February 23, 2009, 09:26:46 PM »
We are a couple moving in to a 5th wheel fulltime. When we have our 5th wheel hooked up to a septic is it best to leave the dump valve opened or let it fill up then empty it. Also, how do you find out what the sizes are of your black and gray tanks?

geodrake

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: Holding Tank Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 09:58:07 PM »
It is best to not dump the black water tank until it is pretty well full.  By leaving the black water dump valve open, liquid will rapidly drain leaving solids to set where they fall.  By allowing all to accumulate, bacteria will begin to digest the solids so that they will flow better when you dump.  It is good to have a fairly full gray water tank to release after dumping the black water tank.  This rinses the hoses, gates, etc. after dumping black.
George Drake

joelmyer

• ---
  • Joel (W4JNM) and Camille, GA
    • The Retirement Saga
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 06:46:25 AM »
What George said.

The manufacturer should tell you the size of the tanks.  That might or might not be right.

One way to know would be to dump and then see how many 1 gallon milk jugs of water it takes to fill them.

More important, I think, is to know about how many days it takes you to fill them and how to know when they are almost full.

Joel
Joel (W4JNM) and Camille, GA

rjf7g

• ---
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 07:36:57 PM »
Ditto what George said.
2017 Aqua Patio SB235 with Yamaha 200HP
2007 Gulf Stream Innsbruck 36FRS
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2003 Club Car GS
1999 American Cruiser

Woody

• ---
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 08:43:04 PM »
As others have said, you should leave the blackwater tank closed. You can leave the grey water open and then close it a day before dumping the black to get a good flush through the hose after dumping the black.

Woody

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 10:41:55 AM »
On my coach the tank size appears in two places. One is the weight sticker hidden inside the rig somewhere (Mine is in a cabinet) and the other is on the tank itslef, neither is all that accurate though
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

ajparish06

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 08:07:09 PM »
thanks every one

ajparish06

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 09:15:15 PM »
thanks everyone i found my owners manual in the cabinet.  im sure i'll have a lot more questions im new to TTs and fulltiming stationary.

Hosted by Over The Network