Holding Tank Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajparish06

We are a couple moving in to a 5th wheel fulltime. When we have our 5th wheel hooked up to a septic is it best to leave the dump valve opened or let it fill up then empty it. Also, how do you find out what the sizes are of your black and gray tanks?

It is best to not dump the black water tank until it is pretty well full.  By leaving the black water dump valve open, liquid will rapidly drain leaving solids to set where they fall.  By allowing all to accumulate, bacteria will begin to digest the solids so that they will flow better when you dump.  It is good to have a fairly full gray water tank to release after dumping the black water tank.  This rinses the hoses, gates, etc. after dumping black.

What George said.

The manufacturer should tell you the size of the tanks.  That might or might not be right.

One way to know would be to dump and then see how many 1 gallon milk jugs of water it takes to fill them.

More important, I think, is to know about how many days it takes you to fill them and how to know when they are almost full.

Joel

As others have said, you should leave the blackwater tank closed. You can leave the grey water open and then close it a day before dumping the black to get a good flush through the hose after dumping the black.

Woody

On my coach the tank size appears in two places. One is the weight sticker hidden inside the rig somewhere (Mine is in a cabinet) and the other is on the tank itslef, neither is all that accurate though

thanks everyone i found my owners manual in the cabinet.  im sure i'll have a lot more questions im new to TTs and fulltiming stationary.

Back
Top Bottom