1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1bgmxcn

Hello everyone,

Today I am purchasing, and having installed a Falcon All -Terrain 900 tow bar, and mounting brackets, and the Accessory Kit, at Campind World.  My question is do I need to make any type of modifications to the 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited besides installing the mounting brackets?  What should I set the Jeep in neutral? Is there anything I need to do to the 4 wheel drive? I cant find the owners manual, so I called the dealership, and some guy told me I had do disengage the drive shaft which doesn't seem quite right to me.  Until I know for certain, I will not tow.  I hope someone can help. You guys always seem to know!

Ernie
2009 Bounder 34G

Check under recreational towing in the owners manual for full instructions.  Basically transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, and key in the off unlock position.

I don't have the owners manual.  Please excuse my ignorance but how do I put the transfer case into neutral? Is that the 4wd lever? do I just slide that down to the neutral position?

I found a 1996 Cherokee SERVICE manual here - maybe that will help.
http://pdftown.com/Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-1996-Service-Manual.html

Don't know specifics about your Jeep, but on my "some other brand" 4WD vehicles, you merely put the 4WD lever (transfer case) into Neutral.

1bgmxcn said:
I don't have the owners manual.  Please excuse my ignorance but how do I put the transfer case into neutral? Is that the 4wd lever? do I just slide that down to the neutral position?

Place it in the neutral position then you can confirm it is in neutral by placing the transmission in drive to confirm the vehicle does not move.  The place the ransmission in park again.  Caution when the trannsfer case is in neutral the transmisssion park has no affect on holding the vehicle from moving.

Thanks Guys,

I was able to tow my Jeep, on a very short trip with no problems.  This weekend I have a trip to Arizona for some spring training baseball, and some golf.  During my last trip someone asked if I stopped and unhooked the jeep every couple hundred miles, and drive it to lube the transmission?  Is this something that should be done?  This trip is about 400 miles each way.  Then I have another trip to the Grand Canyon which is another 450 miles or so next month.  Should I unhook and drive the Jeep?  If so, how often and how far?  Is there any special trani fluid I can use to make sure I don't harm the transmission?

I do not believe it is necessary.  The owners manual for any of our Grand Cherokees did not mentione this and we have driven during the day  for two or three days and never disconnected the GC.  Some makes such as the Grand Vitara require the engine be run after a specified time but never seen that on Jeeps.

Back
Top Bottom