Best portable waste tank to use??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

licountrygirl

Hi everyone, we just introduced ourselves briefly in the other forum catagory and now I have a question to ask:

We will be staying, for the first time ever, at a Jellystone park in New York. We only have electric and water hookups because we wanted a spot along the river. I have been researching the topic of portable waste tanks but really can't find a discussion on which brand tank is easier to use and the best value for your money.

The two main brands I have seen are Thetford (gray color tanks) and Barker (blue color tanks.)

Our TT only has about 20 gal tanks, I believe. We don't have it yet - pick up is Saturday!!

Which tank do you use? Which one is easier to use - for a newbie?

The Thetford tanks have gotten some comments about being hard to completely empty.  The Barker ones had a slightly better rating user wise.

Then we need to know if the four wheel model is easier to use, or the two wheel model?

The prices we have gathered have been incredibly expensive to manageable, depending on if you want 4 wheels or 2. I do not intend to walk the tank to the dump site, I will hook it to the tow ball of the truck.

Anybody want to give a product review of their tank??

Thank you in advance!

I have the 2-wheel Barker 20 gallon(?) tank.  I have been quite pleased with it, but have only used it three or four times.  It is fairly easy to dump, tows fine behind the toad.

HTH,
Doug

Thank you, that's exactly the one that I am just going to buy. I think I'm getting a pretty good deal at JC Whitney - $115 with no tax, free shipping and 5% cash back with Ebates. For the 22 gal tank and a set of stack-a-plates - grand total is $129.97!! (plus 5%=6.50 in my Ebates account!)

Thanks for your reply.

One question, though, if you don't mind. Does the sewer hose stay onboard or do you have to bring that along separately?

If you mean the little short hose that comes with the tank, I just use it when dumping.  I use my regular sewer hose to fill the "blueboy" when required.  I guess you could get a bayonet connector for the "other" end of the hose, and leave it connected until you are ready to haul it off.  When filling, I take the vent cap off and just watch the level.  I would like to have one of the float type gauges that fit the vent so I could more easily monitor it as I am filling the tank.

Doug

I have a 2 wheel 25 gal some other brand.

I wish I had a 4 wheel Barker.  It gets harder every year to pick up the end and get it to the truck and drop it on the hitch.  And then tilt it up at the dump station to almost empty it.  The Barker side dump is much easier at most dump stations.

I only got my finger caught between the hitch ball and little loop once.  It hurt.

I use a little short sewer hose with fittings on both ends to fill the tank.  You don't want a full tank and a long hose full of stuff and no place to put it.

New trick I learned this year.  My tank came with a 12" peice of garden hose with female fittings on both ends for  just dumping gray water slowly.  Put that on the vent cap place.  Put a city water fill protector on the other end.  To fill the tank, open the fill protector.  When the tank is almost full you can hear it gurgle.  Close Valve, empty short hose, close the fill protector.  Haul to dump station and take normal sewer hose.

At the dump station after the tank is in place, open the fill protector.  The fill protector keeps it from sloshing out when you lift the tank off the hitch and maneuver it into place.  Open it before you empty the tank, the vacuum if you don't had been known to split the tank.

Enjoy

Joel

I have a 4 wheel Barker (30/32 gallon?) and it is awesome.  I hitch it to my golf cart and take off.  It "loads" on the top and it "unloads" on the side, it rinses out easily and is easy to handle when it is empty.  When it is full, I can't move it much.

Back
Top Bottom