When was your last wheel alignment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
The alignment on my Meridian has always been spot on, after the initial alignment when I picked it up at the dealer.  Lately I have noted a very slight pull to the left, which will exacerbate depending on the condition of the road surface that I am on.  Sometimes it almost disappears depending on the condition of the road. I was wondering how often any of you have the alignment checked on your rig.  At the hourly rates we pay for labor I know it's not something we take lightly, but neither are a new set of tires :p 

Your input is appreciated!  Sarge

Most recommend having a new coach aligned immediately after delivery when it is loaded as you normally travel...

My first (and last at this point) wheel alignment was in Oct 2006 when I had new tires put on the front. I was beginning to see slightly irregular wear on the edges of the tires, and when I had a rear tire go bad I moved the front tires to the dual position and put new ones on the front.

If I see irregular wear on the front tires, and/or feel pulling that cannot be explained/resolved by other means, I would have the alignment checked.

I do not re-align unless and until I see uneven wear forming. As for the pull to the left, I would first check tire pressures and inspect the tires for uneven wear.

Yep, been there, done that.  I have a TPMS that tells me what the real time pressures are. I have no evidence of a problem like unusual tire wear. But I did call Freigtliner in Tolleson AZ.  I am scheduled for an alignment check on the tires next Tuesday.  When I spoke to the RV service manager, Kirk, he indicated that a tire rotation may be called for.  After the alignment if a pulling sensation is still felt, it is because  the tires have "worn in" to a certian pattern.  The only way to eliminate it is to rotate the  front tires thereby taking them out of their usual wear pattern. 

BTW, it is recommendation from John Canefield that put me onto Freightliner Tolleson.  I will let you know how it goes.

Sarge

Sarge - let us know how it goes at Freightliner Tolleson.  They have a nice lounge with free WiFi.  Their 30 amp power for a hookup is terrible - it was the primary reason I bought an autoformer!  Have breakfast at the Black Bear Diner about two miles West on I-10 - exit at Dysart Road and the diner is at the SW corner.  Shopping is everywhere.  A Costco is about a mile or so North of Freightliner (99th ave I think) - a couple of blocks North of I-10.  Kirk is usually in his office at 6 AM and the guys start work at 7.  Tell Kirk our fuel fill experience is better.

We had Freightliner factory service do the IM (initial maintenance) and a four-wheel alignment.  We had Winnie factory service do a front end alignment after the IM, but I don;t remember exactly when without looking at my records.

With our Howard Power Center Steering, I'm not sure if we would notice our steering pulling one way or the other - when we track one way or the other, we just push our trim button which centers our steering.

We had a thrust alignment done last summer, at 35K miles, and replaced all 6 tires.  We could have made out with just a rotation (fronts were scalloped), but chose to upgrade the tires to raise the GVW instead. (Per WGO.)

Not sure if I am allowed to reply since I have a lowly gas unit....    ;)

But we never had an alignment on our current coach.   :)

We have nearly 20K on our unit, no aftermarket bars etc, drives straight, with very little tire wear.

porscheracer said:
but chose to upgrade the tires to raise the GVW instead. (Per WGO.)

You still shouldn't exceed the GAWR and your legal GVWR will be as posted by the manufacturer.  You can't change those numbers.

Ned said:
You still shouldn't exceed the GAWR and your legal GVWR will be as posted by the manufacturer.  You can't change those numbers.

Very true Ned.  The only one that can increase the GVWR is the manufacturer and to do so they need to have written concurrence from all the affected component suppliers.  New tires, springs, drive train or any other mods will NOT increase the GVWR unless the manufacturer completes the necessary steps and issues the applicable paperwork and tags which I suspect that even if they would it would be more economical to just buy a new vehicle.

When I talked to Kirk on the phone he indicated that with the alignment they sometimes need to do a front tire rotation to solve the pulling problem.  In some cases the tires have "worn in" in one dirrection and will still want to pull that dirrection even after the alignment.  I have an appointment for 0700 on Tuesday and will report what they find. 

We just turned over 26,000 on the coach and it has been perfect up to about 1000 miles ago.  Hopefully this will return us to our original track.

Ron said:
The only one that can increase the GVWR is the manufacturer and to do so they need to have written concurrence from all the affected component suppliers.  New tires, springs, drive train or any other mods will NOT increase the GVWR unless the manufacturer completes the necessary steps and issues the applicable paperwork and tags . . ..

Technically correct, agreed.  However, when all the part #'s are the same as the 33K GVW chassis, I'm willing to take my chances on larger tires, just to be a bit safer.  And FWIW, I'm still below the 29,400#.

porscheracer said:
Technically correct, agreed.  However, when all the part #'s are the same as the 33K GVW chassis, I'm willing to take my chances on larger tires, just to be a bit safer.  And FWIW, I'm still below the 29,400#.

It does pay to be safer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom