Registering an RV as an Australian / non resident in NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khar22

Hi

Can anyone provide any advice on how we can register an RV, purchased in Pennsylvania,in NYC without being a permanent resident.

Well actually state of registration does not matter we just need the easiest one - we can get insurance, have an international drivers license and valid visas. The RV we are looking at also has a current safety inspection certificate.

HELP HELP HELP

khar22 said:
Hi

Can anyone provide any advice on how we can register an RV, purchased in Pennsylvania,in NYC without being a permanent resident.

Well actually state of registration does not matter we just need the easiest one - we can get insurance, have an international drivers license and valid visas. The RV we are looking at also has a current safety inspection certificate.

HELP HELP HELP

Read all about it at http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/reg.htm

But if you are buying the unit in PA and taking title there. would it not be easier to register in PA?  See here:  http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/centers/motorVehicleCenter.shtml

If I could I would register it in any state in the union instead of NY, but I am prejudiced as I live in NY and have dealt with the bureaucracy of NY DMV for 35 years!

Ron said:
One might want to investigate a bit since some states are better than others as far as costs go.

Actually NY State is not a bad state to register in. The registration for my motor home is $132.00 for two years. However, there may be other, think taxes, things to consider, especially if one is not retired or 59 1/2 with any taxable income. If you are going to register it with a NYC address, the sales tax will be huge. I do not know how it compares to Pa but generally the tax situation for NYC residents is considerably more than other NY State residents.

Richard
Rochester, NY (summer)
Tucson, AZ (winter)

As you are non-resident, I would think your best best would be a Montana LLC

Do a search on here for LLC and you will have hours (days?) of reading.

Enjoy  ;D

Paul

khar22 said:
Hi

HELP HELP HELP

Do you have a US address in ANY state which is acceptable to their DMV for titling and registration? 

I was under the impression (perhaps mistakenly?) that fulltimers (with no regular physical address) use States such as SD, TX and Montana as their systems accept mail box addresses for those purposes. 

Visitors to the USA may similarly have no legal USA address in the same way as US fulltimers.

see http://rving.sunpix.co.uk/ for a Brit perspective based on what we did....

It seems to me we've had some previous discussions about this topic.  You might check the RVing message boards for one called Visitors to the USA.  You also can use the red Search button to track down similar concerns of others who are not U.S. citizens.

ArdraF

Hi khar22,

I am interested to know if you have resolved your problem as I am an Aussie arriving in the US in June to buy an RV and tour the US and Canada.

Cheers,
Bazza

If you purchase in PA and then register in NYC, you will undoubtedly pay sales tax on the purchase price of the vehicle at one of the highest tax rates in the US. As others have said, look up LLC and Montana. That will probably be your best bet.

PA does allow you to purchase in PA and then register the vehicle in another sate, without paying the PA sales tax, which is 6% or higher -- depending on local taxes.

Chet18013

I'd be interested to see the outcome of this as we too are coming over from Australia to the States to purchase an RV, drive it for 3 weeks, then ship it back home. We weren't sure how the registration worked, but this forum is invaluable.

Any other aussies doing similar or have already done so????

Sooz & Kev

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom