allegrobay on oshkosh chassis Do motor homes use common chassis ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enjoylife

We have just acquired a 1994 allegro bay diesel pusher on a oshkosh chassis. I am wondering if  manufactured by companies other than tiffan would use the same chassis? My motor home has ford steering and ford relays in fuse box, The brakes are 4 discs with a bendix master cyl  and one rear axle. Rear engine is a cummins with allison transmission.I ordered a manual from freightliner gave them the s/n They sent me a manual  for 1997 to 2000 nothing is the same as my unit.I would like to get a copy of a service manual so how any suggestions? Stu and Sharon

Stu & Sharon

Freightliner should be able to tell you which other coach builders used that chassis back then. Actually, the current Freightliner XC chassis is still basically the same as that Oshkosh chassis, with a lot of component updates and upgrades of course. I'd call Freightliner back at 1-800-FTL-HELP and let them know that they sent you the wrong manual. They might be able to find a service bulletin for it.

The schedule would probably include changing engine oil every 6,000 miles or yearly, chassis lube semi-annually, transmission oil change every 24,000 miles or annually, air filter change every other year and filters changed when the oil is changed. Freightliner used CAT engines in 1997-2000 so the Cummins engine servicing might be a bit different and I would call Cummins with your engine serial number and they should be able to tell you what their service recommendation for oil and filters would be. Otherwise, I wouldn't think the 1997 would be very far off and your mechanic should be able to determine frequency or need for suspension/brakes servicing.

I had a '94 National Dolphin with the same chassis. I think I let nearly, if not all documentation go with it when I traded. I had a lot of trouble with the cruise control bead chain and had to fix it several times when on trips. I replaced the exhaust system which goes from a 2 3/4 " at the turbo to 3" at the output with a system of 3 1/2" all the way through, lots of improvement.

Wayne

We had a 93 Bounder DP built on an Oshkosh chassis and a lot of the parts were from Ford.  The only real nagging problem we had was the cruise control cable which was a Ford part and it appeared Ford did not know how to swedge the ball on the end of the cable.  After about several cable replacements, two or three under warranty, I took the the defective cable to a shop and had them swedge a new ball onto the cable. Never had another problem with it.

John Deer chassis was bought by Oshkosh which in return was bought by Freightliner.  Both the John Deer and Oshkosh chassis had a lot of Ford parts.

Thanks for the info. I am trying to scrounge any info I can find. I have talked to tiffan but they keep putting me on to freightliner.I like to do my own maintenance but I also like to have a through understanding of how it works before I dive in.again anybody have any info on a 94 oshkosh chassis keep the info coming. thanks stu

When I owned the Dolphin I scanned about 40 pages of the Oshkosh chassis manual and I still have them on my computer. In their present form the file is about 25 MB. If you want I will try to get the information to you. Any suggestions as to how? Forum library maybe :-\ ?

Thanks Wayne if you could fwd it to my e mail that would be great. getting some of this technical info into the library is also an excellent idea. stu

Stuart

I sent the first 10 pages to you via lycos mail. If you get them OK, I will send the rest. I have had trouble in the past with big files and found that lycos worked very well. If you have a problem you might open an account with lycos.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne received all the info you sent. If anyone else has information on a 94 Oshkosh chassis especially brake sys. I would  it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Stu and Sharon

I have a 1994 Fleetwood Southwind on the Oshkosh Chassis. Cummins 230hp diesel pusher with Allison 6sp.  The cruise control did not work when I purchased it, funny reading this post that is common - my mechanic found that the cable had been removed and is unable to find any parts to fix it...

I think I have the original manual on my '94 Oshkosh - let me know if you don't have what you were looking for yet.  On mine, the oil change is every 10,000 miles.  It is very simple to do yourself.  Take good care of that air filter - it's about $100 to replace!

TGM

I replaced my cruise control cable with a replacement bicycle hand brake cable which I bought at Wal - Mart. The cost of this cable was about $6. I of course had all of the other parts to use. The modified cable continued to work without any more problems and was on the MH when I traded it in on my Horizon.

Wayne

TGM said:
The cruise control did not work when I purchased it, funny reading this post that is common - my mechanic found that the cable had been removed and is unable to find any parts to fix it...

TMG,

I have a 1992 F-53 Ford chassis which had the cruise control cable break last December. Ford no longer has that item in stock. I went on the internet and searched "obsolete Ford parts" and found two places which had a new cable for sale. I was in Tucson at the time and purchased it from a place in New Jersey. You might try searching Google for your part number or by part name. BTW, it cost me less than the previous time I had to replace it about five or six years ago.

When you find a Ford cable I would suggest taking it to a shop and have the ball on the ends swedged again.  Seems to be the weak spot in those Ford cables.  That is what I did when we had the 93 Bounder on an Oshcosh chassis (now Freightliner) and had no more problems.

Hi I have 94 bounder Oshkosh . unexplaned loss of brake fluid.  Need to replace master cyl. You think they used Ford Cyls Did you replace your cyl Bill [email protected]

cgbill

May I suggest you start a new thread for this problem. The one you tagged onto is old and the title has nothing to do with your topic. To do so simply select the "Tech Talk" section (suggested) and click on "New Topic" at the top. You will likely get a number of good responses.

Here is a suggestion for emailing large files. Go to mailbigfile.com, register for their free service. You upload the file to them. They send an email to the person you want to get it, with a code. The recipient goes to mailbigfile.com and downloads it. Works every time.

Just my 2 cents.

Stan

TGM offerred the manual for the 1994 Oshkosh Chassis. I am very interested in getting this so if you have it I will figure out a way to get it from you. How many pages?. I have a 94 Fleetwood Flair on an Oshkosh chassis, with a GM Diesel ( I believe 6.5L) and i need help!! Problems with fuel pumps, Air conditioning, finding things in general.

I have a 1991 safari on an oshkosh chasis....finding parts has been a nightmare until recently. Apparently freightliner purchased their part and chassis rights in the late 90's.  If you can find the oshkosh part number they will cross reference it to a freightliner number...if you don't it's a bit more complicated however they were able to find parts through the last 6 of my VIN which is the Chasis Serial number.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom