Yikes - breakaway switch has been inop for who knows??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
Setup:  SMI Silent Partner (wireless brake operation coach-toad), Jeep's tail lights via a cable coach-toad.

We just returned from about a month on the road and we were washing the coach and the toad.  I like to open the Jeep's hood, spray a degreaser, and wash it down.  While looking around under the hood, I noticed a severed wire - the wire was one I added three years ago when I set the Jeep up for towing.

Recently I noticed our towing tail lights weren't working (brake/turn are okay) and I thought ah-ha! Found my problem!  (How the wire got severed is a total mystery.)  I tugged on the wire and discovered it went to the breakaway switch and not the lights connector!

The impact of this wire being cut was I had a totally non-functional breakaway switch.  SMI's engineers did not design this system to not work if there was an integrity issue with the breakaway switch which surprised me.  I would have designed it to alarm if there was an issue with the breakaway switch wiring.

Shame on me for not testing the breakaway switch periodically.  Shame on SMI for not having some kind of integrity check.

Dear John, that little feature would probably have raised the cost of the unit by $200.00. What about all the hundreds of other wires in the vehicle; should they be protected/insured as well?

There is a limit, somewhere.

carson FL  (Just feel like arguing right now).  ;D

carson FL

Thanks for the reminder, John.  I've been meaning to test mine for a long time.

Keep up the good work, Carson.  You are my hero :D

John,

No offense meant, but this is the very reason I like the US Gear braking system.  If the break away switch is pulled loose or not working properly, an alarm sounds and doesn't stop until you fix it.  The system also shows a green light when a connection is made from the toad to the coach.  When I'm driving, I like looking down at the control system and seeing the green light... ;D

Glad you found it!

Marsha~

Back
Top Bottom