Thanks to Everyone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdkNorth

Thanks so much for the wonderful advice and counsel we received from folks here at the forum! We went to five dealers last weekend, and I really walked onto the lots feeling like I knew what I was doing and talking about. Can't say thanks enough times. We just contacted the dealers about a 1995 30' Prowler 5th at one dealer, and a 1997 31' Layton 5th at another, both in excellent condition and super clean. I would have never known what to look at and what price range to pitch at without your advice on the NADA guides and all the things pointed out to me here. We'll see how it goes!

Made an offer today on our very first RV.  :) There was a 1997 Layton that we loved, but the awnings were ragged, it was a little dirty, and they wouldn't come down below $9100 total at that dealer.  :-\  So, we offered on a 1995 Fleetwood Prowler 30 5X (sofa/dinette slide) elsewhere. Excellent condition - looks like no one has ever used the thing. Not a spot or a ding.

After a few calls back and forth to get the feel of the guy, I up-fronted the whole thing (I can't believe I actually used the words, "Let me be completely honest"). I gave him the offer, reminded him that the offer is a bit over top NADA value, and said that I need it completely checked out before it leaves the lot - not wholesaled - I was clear that if something is wrong with it, I need it fixed, or we talk and adjust the price down. And I made it clear that this is the offer, period - if he comes back with a higher figure, it's a "no." Didn't feel bad about offering a little over NADA because it is in pristine condition and I'm asking them to include a 150 mile delivery. I'll hear back tomorrow.

And if they say no, we still have another few units in our pocket at other dealers. Anyhow. I'm attempting to post a few pics of the thing here -

Attachments

• DSCN0029.JPG
    DSCN0029.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN0030.JPG
    DSCN0030.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 62
Looks like a nice unit. We had a Prowler many years ago and loved it. Good luck.

Prowler was a top brand in those years, before the competition got so tough. And a well maintained trailer is usually always a good buy.  Even so, I'd say your offer is generous in this market. Hope you get it!!!

We got it!

Odd, but the dealers are not all cooperating like we all are thinking they might. Curiously, our offers on three units at two other lots got rejected. We offered high NADA on these other three (but well below their list price) and they just plain said no. Yeah, I think it is *technically* a buyers market, but my experience has been that not all dealers believe the same. We got cold, flat turndowns. As an example, on a $9995 list for a 1997, we offered $7000 (mid-NADA), and they said $8500 or no deal. And this thing had patches, repairs, and ragged edges on the awnings.

Anyhow, who cares. Happy days! Even a hair over NADA, I expected haggling, especially since I said I wanted delivery included and told them not to surprise me with any fees, I want a full inspection, etc. Not a peep. They accepted without any drama. We're thrilled with it, even the price. As someone mentioned on another thread, be smart, but be willing to pay what it's worth to you. We offered what it's worth to us, and I added, "This is what I will pay, period. If you come back at me with fees or another price, it's going to be a 'no.'"  It was the one we wanted. We're driving up to sign on Saturday. They're going to store it until whenever we want it delivered this Summer.

I guess those dealers feel confident that some less-knowledgeable buyer will come along and pay their asking price. Spring is coming and RVs tend to be impulse buys, so maybe they are right? 

Regardless, you got the one you wanted at the price you wanted to pay, so how can the deal get any better than that?

Congratulations!!!

I have always felt that it is a good deal when both parties are happy.  Ya, the seller always wishes he would have gotten a little more and the buyer always wishes it had been a little cheaper.

Gary, you said, in part,
and RVs tend to be impulse buys, so

I respect your opinion, in view of your position in the industry. But, find that a bit startling. I, also, figure that if anyone knows, you should.

I just have trouble imagining that someone, without shopping, studying and planning, and without at least some intention, would suddenly decide he/she just had to have an RV - this one - today.  :-\

We did, within a short time-frame, purchase our current motorhome. We bought it, the day we first saw it. Four years later, we still love it. We owned a MH and used it as trade-in, at the time. We had spent the previous six or eight months shopping for an upgrade. We had studied until our brains reeled. I expected that some day, we would walk onto a sales lot, in our search, find a unit that fit our interests, was in our price range, and buy it, then and there.

Would you consider that an "impulse buy?" If not, how do you define an "impulse buy?"

Thanks,

Ray D  ;D

Ray D said:
I just have trouble imagining that someone, without shopping, studying and planning, and without at least some intention, would suddenly decide he/she just had to have an RV - this one - today.  :-\  Ray D  ;D

Believe me, Ray, people do just that.  That's exactly how Fred and I got into the RV thing.  Never had one, never planned on one, never even went camping.  I just happened to suggest it might be a better ride, than the pick up would be on a trip from Maine to Utah.  Stupid!, probably.  But it got us away from the east coast and showed us a totally new way of life, one full of a new adventure every day.  (especially this RV since if we turned the engine off, it wouldn't start again until it felt like it..... :D

Only owned it four months and then get a new and bigger one.  The money spent was a loss financially, but for our well-being, priceless.  :eek:

But then, We are apt to make snap decisions and it has worked for us.  We don't torture ourselves over long study plans as it's just too brain-draining.  We make a decision and go with it.  If it doesn't work out we either live with it or change it.  We just don't waste our time or energy agonizing over something.  Life is too short.  Enjoy it!!!!

Daisy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom