Replacing WeatherPro Patio Awning for an Adventurer 35A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arne

Last fall I managed to completely destroy the patio awning on my 35A :mad:.  All exterior parts are gone;  the controls and cables are still intact.  Now that the snow is finally starting to thaw here in central Florida, it is time to consider a replacement.  My options are:

1. a complete replacement of the original WeatherPRO awning.
2. a less expensive manual awning, perhaps the A&E Sunchaser. 
3. a smaller (approx. 6ft) awning to cover just the door and the window next to the door.  I am not sure that such an awning would clear an open door.

It would help me to hear what any of you have done or would have done.

Also, is this work that can be done at Dometic's service center in Elkhart.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Arne

PS.  I did a search and did not find this issue addressed.

Arne!  Good to see you over here!  Several of us have vacated those "premises" and come here to the new Winnebago Forum!   :)

From another 35A owner to another, I think you will have to go with the same awning (WeatherPro), and here is the reason.  Our awning tubes are mounted on the CURVED area of the roof, and not even with the rain gutters.  I believe the reason for this is we have a kitchen curb slideout, and that the awning needs to be high enough over that slideout to clear the edge when the awning is extended.

Otherwise, I would put on the "old" manual style A&E 8500 model on.....I just dont think we can!   :-[

PS....Please do a thread about your TV replacement....PRICELESS!  I think lots of us would enjoy the new location of your TV!

Ouch. That is not what I was hoping to hear.  But I guess I have to bite the bullet.  The reason why it hurts is that a tree drove by the rig in a campground and ripped the awning off.  From now on I will not leave a campground without first checking for moving trees.

Arne

Thank you for remembering my TV project. I'll show some pictures on my website later today or tomorrow.

Hey Arne!  We're delighted you found us  - we have a bunch of refugees here from the other place  :D  Have a look around - you'll find this is a good and friendly bunch on the forum.

I've never been completely thrilled with our WeatherPro - the first one ended up looking like a twisted pretzel when it didn't dump water and I intervened  ::)  The second one dumps water (yea!)  Due to design constraints, the awnings don't have enough of an angle to be really effective for late afternoon sun and the tube is so high off the ground, you need a ladder to hang lights (we're not into lights) or a vertical sun block panel.

I'm not familiar with your rig, but for mine, I was considering a lateral arm awning (Girard for one) that mounted on the LR slide itself.  You can adjust the angle of the awning to meet your requirements.

Dometic (A&E) does not have factory service facilities in Elkhart, or anywhere AFAIK (unless that changed in the last 24 months.)  When we had our WeatherPro replaced, Bill's in Elkhart did the work - Bill's does a lot of Dometic work (awnings and fridges.)

(Darn them trees!)

John. First, thanks for the friendly welcome. 

I agree with your comment about the angle (slope) of the Dometic awning.  Unfortunately, for our rig, that angle is required as the awning must clear the kitchen slide out.  That is why I was thinking about replacing it with a smaller awning over the front door and window only.  Perhaps we could install another awning on the slide-out itself.  We surely do not need a 20 foot awning that is too high up to throw any shade and so flat that if does not drain the water. (Especially one that cost over $2000).

arne

See, that's where us 2 slide guys get lucky.  My awning has about 3' worth of slope on it, and sits about 7' off the groundat the low end.  Plenty of slope and shade. And I can hang lights while standing on tierra firma...... ;D

You know what though, the DW loves the power awning so much, I would have to put another one on if this one ever dies.  She loves the ability to deploy the awning by herself without having to wait for me to get out there and do it. (And so do I)

Sarge

SargeW said:
See, that's where us 2 slide guys get lucky. 

Sarge - absolutely! 

My brother-in-law has a 2007 Dutch Star and his LR slide doesn't have a topper.  I suppose Newmar figures the awning can do double duty and they can get a little more of an angle with no topper in the way.

Back
Top Bottom