EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Music on the road  (Read 22739 times)

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
Music on the road
« on: March 03, 2009, 05:18:02 PM »
Ok, I''ll start this topic. It may be a lot of fun.

I am sure that many of our travelers are musically inclined (I am declined) and carry instruments along in their travels. Wouldn't it be great if we learned a bit about that?

I am personally a frustrated musician. I believe I have perfect pitch, but cannot play any instrument well.
In my possession I have a Wald-Zither, a guitar, a mandolin, bongo drums, an heraldic horn, a Casio keyboard, a mouth organ...nothing works for me. I guess my brain does not connect with my fingers or other muscles. I am convinced now that I am a scientist, not an artist. (Is that the difference in people ?)

Please tell us about your situation, even brag about it, and tell us what it does for your enjoyment.

What instruments do you carry in your travels?

carson FL

Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
Re: Music on the road
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 05:22:59 PM »
I hummmm ;D ;D
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 05:33:35 PM »
That's a good start Bernie. Now you need to practice the "haws".  ;D

Carson, 
 West Central Florida

Luca1369

• ---
    • Seaworthy.com, Your Bahamas and Caribbean Cruising Advisory
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 05:49:56 PM »
Carson,

I've played bands since I was a teenager...blues bands, jazz bands, Country bands, Southern Rock bands, and even a sailing-cruiser band in Guatemala for a couple of seasons.

I carry four guitars with me.  Two acoustics, a 12 and a 6-string, and two 6-string electrics, one of which I built from scratch with some very expensive and vintage electronics from a 57' Les Paul.  I also have a small amp and a pedal board with a tuner, compressor, and an A/B switch that allows me to shift from one guitar to the other, or from one amp to another.

As for enjoyment...priceless!  Warning...I do not (cannot) sing!

Steve
Steve
1990 Fleetwood Southwind 36'
http://seaworthy.com

For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go.
I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move.
Robert Louis Stevenson

A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.
Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 06:10:59 PM »
I'm a drummer but don't often carry instruments with me.  Heck, you can make drums out of anything anywhere anyhow.  Who needs instruments!  ;D  A little bit of harmonica too, and I too have a fairly cheap set of 12.  Maybe I could carry those along for the ol' campfire songs.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 06:21:49 PM »
This is great, now we are getting somewhere; come on folks, sing out.

How about weird instruments ?    What about your favorites? 

Music is eternal, the spice of life.

carson FL
Carson, 
 West Central Florida

seilerbird

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 06:54:24 PM »
I am a lifetime musician. I carry an electric guitar, a bass guitar and under the dining room table is a 100 watt bass amp with a 15"  speaker. Just today I ordered a 76 key Casio keyboard. I got a killer deal, only $139. Eventually I plan on getting a set of electronic drums so I have the full band with me. I have been in many bands but now I wander aimlessly around the country. The best musical instrument I play now is my iPod.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 07:36:49 PM »
The only instrument I'm able to play is my voice. I can usually pick up a tune by ear and reproduce something that's at least close to the original.

While in grammar school, I signed up for a music class and was given a violin to take home. After a few screeches, I was told to take the violin back and not bring it home again. Bottom line, I didn't learn how to read music or play an instrument. Several years ago I bought an electronic keyboard, a few books and some CDs, and taught myself to read a little music. My objective was to correlate what I saw on a score with what comes out of my mouth (see note).

I play an electronic keyboard about as well as I type on a computer keyboard, and my wife says I'm the fastest 1-finger typist she knows. In addition to the lack of dexterity, I can't read more than a couple of notes at a time, so I'm continually having to read and look for the next note. I now understand why, when I was a kid and knocked on other kids' doors, their parents would say "Johnny can't come out to play, he's practicing playing the piano".

BTW when my Dad was around 8 years old, my grandfather used to take him around the rich people's houses to sing and make some money to help feed the large family. Check out the photo taken c 1919. I learned just a couple of years ago, while talking with my Dad's remaining sister, that it all came to an end when his voice broke.

Note: my objective has not yet been achieved.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 07:43:09 PM »
I plan on getting a set of electronic drums so I have the full band with me.

As a kid, I always wanted to play drums. I "studied" by watching drummers wherever I went. Alas, as a kid and in my youth, I was never able to afford a set of drums. In our youth, several friends and I used to dream of forming a group, although none of us could afford instruments. We'd "practice" at one guy's house with a turntable playing vinyl, several guys using tennis racquets as "guitars" and me using several tin cans as "drums".

To this day, while listening to a "group", you'll see my hands and feet "playing drums".
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:45:05 PM by Tom »

judway

• ---
  • We are at the house in West Melbourne, Florida
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 07:51:45 PM »
I play the CD player and I am good at it ;D ;D.
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
2017 Chevrolet Equinox LT
Remco Towbar, Demco Baseplate & Air Force One Brake
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
Retired Electrical Engineer (University of Cincinnati)
W4SRR

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 08:54:25 PM »
I play the CD player and I am good at it ;D ;D.

Yep I am pretty good at playing the CD player too.  But that is about as far as my musical ability goes.  I always admire those with real musical talent.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

KodiakRV

• ---
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 09:16:04 PM »
The only instrument I'm able to play is my voice. I can usually pick up a tune by ear and reproduce something that's at least close to the original.

While in grammar school, I signed up for a music class and was given a violin to take home. After a few screeches, I was told to take the violin back and not bring it home again. Bottom line, I didn't learn how to read music or play an instrument. Several years ago I bought an electronic keyboard, a few books and some CDs, and taught myself to read a little music. My objective was to correlate what I saw on a score with what comes out of my mouth (see note).

Note: my objective has not yet been achieved.

Here's a picture of Tom striving for his objective a few years back...
Frank
Florida

Luca1369

• ---
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 09:20:12 PM »
Here's a photo of my favorite group.

Steve

Steve

Robert Louis Stevenson

Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

rjf7g

• ---
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 09:28:21 PM »
I played percussion in middle and high school band, including the middle school jazz band.  I played a few times with kids at the alternative high school where I taught.  In fact, I recently saw a student from 20 years ago who asked if I was still playing the drums!  I was tickled that she remembered that!  I also sing - mostly folk and country.  I love karaoke nights at my campground!
2017 Aqua Patio SB235 with Yamaha 200HP
2007 Gulf Stream Innsbruck 36FRS
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2003 Club Car GS
1999 American Cruiser

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 10:23:02 PM »
Here's a picture of Tom striving for his objective a few years back...

LOL he looks a little older now and has put on a few pounds, just like me  ;D

seilerbird

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 10:33:12 PM »
A few shots of me in my teenage years.

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 11:19:10 PM »
I wanted terribly to be in the band in middle school.  The trumpet or cornet was my instrument of choice, but it didn't take the music teacher long to discover  (what the girls in the class already knew)  I didn't have the pucker for it.

I (we - 'teach and I) decided to change to the clarinet, only because it seemed easy to take apart and to carry to school on band day.  (It's hard to look cool while tootin' a trombone case).  After a few too many screeches and squeals ole 'teach confiscated all my reeds.

It was about then that my dad decided, that watching his son try to blow his brains through a black pipe that made no sound, didn't justify the cost of instrument rental.  Undaunted, and madly in love with the girl playing first flute, I persevered.   The band teacher had another name for it, but that's another story.

Deep into the second week of band practice we came to a mutual agreement that maybe drums was where I would could make my contribution.  It didn't occur to me that I was being relegated to the back (far back) of the band room.  I couldn't wait to get my hands (sticks) on a drum.

Drum??  I was given a rubber pad.  A rubber pad.  It took me one whole semister to beat a hole in that rubber pad.  Did I get a drum?   NO!  I got another rubber pad....

Oh! Did I mention this was a marching band?  Have you ever heard of a part in a marching band for the "rubber Pad"?
That fact was not obvious to me in middle school so I thought it was just an accident that I got locked in the band room during the big "home coming" half time show.....

You might think this experience would be enough to stunt my musical development, but au contraire...

Behold! the fine studio quality percussion instrument presented in the attached photo. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 11:22:32 PM by Lou (onaquest) »
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

seilerbird

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 08:51:16 AM »
I too was lucky enough to put in my first six months on a Ludwig rubber pad. Actually I am glad I did because that meant I didn't have to listen to my first miserable attempts to imitate Gene Krupa. I was about 7 years old at the time. Went for drum lessons every week to some old mans attic. He must have been 30.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 08:58:35 AM »
Lou, that story was hilarious.

FrontrangeRVer

• ---
  • 8,600 feet elevation up in the Rockies
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 09:12:03 AM »
I am a musician, but have been trading Energy for over 28 years as my main career. 

I am a keyboardist and a music major, and have played with many many bands over the years, and am now able to occasionally play the Hammond B3 with a Contemporary Christian band called "Desperation", based out of New Life Church here in Colorado Springs, and sometimes direct the choir on Sunday mornings.

I was fortunate to direct the New Life Worship Choir on our latest release Counting on God and you can see me directing in this video of one of our new songs, "Overcome" by Jon Egan.

I don't travel in our RV with any equipement....just sometimes annoy people if they have a piano sitting around the campground facilities.   ;)
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
2 toads, depending on purpose:
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2005 Hyundai Elantra

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 09:54:18 AM »
Mark, WOW another "big church" musician!  :)  I am a drummer/percussionist for the music program at our church of 4000 or so in Normal, IL.  In fact we have recently put "Overcome" in our rotation of songs, and I've played it a few times myself.  Very inspiring story behind that tune, which was shared to the congregation the first time we played it a couple months back.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 10:07:16 AM »
You guys are giving me an inferiority complex, so I have to post a shot of my first musical instrument - I call this my musical debut.

I'm reminded of a local water rat (fulltime boater) who, for as long as I can remember, would play Reveille on his bugle at 5.30am every day. Nobody complained - it was all part of the "ambiance" of the Delta, but I can't imagine what reactions he'd have received if he had done that at a campground.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 11:19:24 AM by Tom »

FrontrangeRVer

• ---
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 10:09:58 AM »
Yeah Scott....as you watch the Overcome video, its a story (by Jon Egan of Desperation) about overcoming several issues which arose at our church....first the disaster about the Pastor, Ted Haggard, and then the shootings that happened at the Church last year.  :o  The song (and story in the video link) are very powerful.

Glad to hear you guys playing that song....I have no doubt you are playing others by Desperation also!   :)

You and I now have something in common, and I will remember your posts in the future!   :)
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
2005 Hyundai Elantra

seilerbird

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 10:10:53 AM »
I am a musician, but have been trading Energy for over 28 years as my main career. 

I am a keyboardist and a music major, and have played with many many bands over the years, and am now able to occasionally play the Hammond B3 with a Contemporary Christian band called "Desperation", based out of New Life Church here in Colorado Springs, and sometimes direct the choir on Sunday mornings.

I was fortunate to direct the New Life Worship Choir on our latest release Counting on God and you can see me directing in this video of one of our new songs, "Overcome" by Jon Egan.

I don't travel in our RV with any equipement....just sometimes annoy people if they have a piano sitting around the campground facilities.   ;)

Oh, the Hammond B3. What a great organ!!! Especially running through a Leslie.

I use headphones for playing my guitar and I will use them for my synthesizer and drums once they arrive.

FrontrangeRVer

• ---
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 10:13:12 AM »
Oh, the Hammond B3. What a great organ!!! Especially running through a Leslie.

Yep....have a Leslie with ours also....nothing better than to spin that speaker and run your hands up and down the keys for the "growl"!!!!
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
2005 Hyundai Elantra

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 11:21:03 AM »
If any of you 'real' musicians attend a forum rally, there's always a willing audience. I for one would be in the front row (of the audience).

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 11:51:52 AM »
Quite an array of talent represented here.  I am always in awe of musical talent as I have absolutely none.

FrontrangeRVer

• ---
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 11:58:59 AM »
Quite an array of talent represented here.  I am always in awe of musical talent as I have absolutely none.

Your story was HILLARIOUS though!  Still laughing about the rubber pads.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
2005 Hyundai Elantra

seilerbird

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2009, 05:23:26 PM »
Even though I play many instruments I have never felt like I had talent. I am just very stubborn about spending a lot of time practicing.

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2009, 05:53:40 PM »
Maybe TALENT isn't the all defining word, Tom, but for some of us, without that talent, no amount of practice would result in a satisfactory product.  If you didn't have the talent to recognize the difference between making noise and making music how would you know that your practicing was doing any good?

That may be a little too simplistic, but you get my drift.

seilerbird

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2009, 06:17:21 PM »
I would bet any amount of money that no matter how talentless a person thinks they are, that within three hours of practice I could teach anyone to play Blackbird by the Beatles on acoustic guitar. And you would sound very close to the record.

Luca1369

• ---
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2009, 06:27:27 PM »
Maybe TALENT isn't the all defining word, Tom, but for some of us, without that talent, no amount of practice would result in a satisfactory product.  If you didn't have the talent to recognize the difference between making noise and making music how would you know that your practicing was doing any good?

Talent and practice make all the difference...especially when you try playing an instrument that you're not very familiar with.  In the early 70s I was playing in a little juke joint north of Atlanta on 41 on the way to Tennessee (before the new stretch of I-75 was completed).  I was playing guitar and the owner asked me to lend my guitar to a friend of his from Nashville who came in and offered to sing a song.  That friend was the country star Freddie Hart. 

I lent him my guitar and the band broke into Promised Land, a Chuck Berry number.  I wandered over to the other side of the stage and picked up one of our singer's harmonicas.  I couldn't really play a harp, but I knew that I could blow into it and keep it in key with the chords being played on the song, sort of like a rhythm harp...so that's what I did, blowing it softly into a microphone.  Well, it came to the break and Freddie looked at me and said "Mr. Harp Man!"  My cue for a solo!!!!  Luckily the audience was drunk.  I made a lot of wild upper body gyrations, blew a few notes in key and in time, and somehow made it through without too much embarrassment...no that's a lie, I was embarrased as heck.  The band new I couldn't play the harp, and now so did Freddie...he never called upon me for a harp solo again...thankfully.

Steve
Steve

Robert Louis Stevenson

Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

S J Strait

• ---
  • 2004 ford f250 deisel 27' 2007 freedom spirit
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2009, 10:59:52 AM »
 dose air guitar count lol.  :D
Steve,Lisa and the rest of the Strait gang.
The Adirondacks park is our back yard.

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2009, 11:16:17 AM »
Steve, we can form a small combo.  Air guitar, rubber pad and vocals (as soon as I finish reading "Lip Sync for Dummies").

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2009, 11:41:35 AM »
I must admit that I had no idea what the term 'air guitar' meant. This WiKi explains it. I came to find out there's even an air guitar championship and a YouTube video of the 2008 championship winning performance. This makes my fellow 'musicians playing tennis racquets' look very good. I can see how easy it would be take an air guitar on the road, but fellow campers might not appreciate the background music.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 11:48:47 AM by Tom »

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2009, 11:44:28 AM »
dose air guitar count lol.  :D

Reminds me of a trailer (the movie kind, not the RV kind) I saw recently for a recent documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea32R_2jSxg

I like these kinds of films and am actually very interested in that one!  Looks quite entertaining, and I can certainly appreciate that level of enjoyment of music even with actual instruments. 8)

seilerbird

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2009, 12:06:45 PM »
I can see how easy it would be take an air guitar on the road, but fellow campers might not appreciate the background music.

Tom, having music playing is not a prerequisite for playing air guitar. However the Wikipedia article does omit an important date in the history of the air guitar. In 1965 the Beatles released a movie called Help. In the movie Paul plays air guitar (bass) using a female for the guitar. This was one of the most important dates in the history of air guitar.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 12:08:59 PM by seilerbird »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2009, 12:15:02 PM »
Thanks Tom.

having music playing is not a prerequisite for playing air guitar

Wouldn't that be the equivalent of lip syncing karoake without the words on a screen? Of course, if someone wanted music to accompany their air guitar, they could just listen to their MP3 player.

seilerbird

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2009, 12:28:22 PM »
Thanks Tom.

Wouldn't that be the equivalent of lip syncing karoake without the words on a screen? Of course, if someone wanted music to accompany their air guitar, they could just listen to their MP3 player.

Music is playing in my head all the time. I can play air guitar to that music, in fact I do occasionally. Since I started life as a drummer my feet are playing air drums a lot of the time. Can't stop them.

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2009, 12:57:47 PM »
Tom**bird, could that be "restless leg syndrome"?   :D

I haven't looked at the videos yet...can't wait. I told you this post may be fun.

Does perfect pitch 'whistling count'. ?

carson FL

Carson, 
 West Central Florida

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2009, 01:58:42 PM »

Darn!  You just had to mention another thing I never learned to do. 

Luca1369

• ---
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2009, 02:58:22 PM »
In the movie Paul plays air guitar (bass) using a female for the guitar.

Tom,

Technically, this really isn't air guitar, is it?

Steve
Steve

Robert Louis Stevenson

Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

seilerbird

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2009, 03:03:59 PM »
I don't think there is an offical technical explanation for what is air guitar. But I think if you are playing guitar and you don't have a guitar then you are playing air guitar. Maybe we should call it Woman guitar? It makes one wonder then how you would tune a Woman guitar.

KodiakRV

• ---
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2009, 06:59:21 PM »
... I came to find out there's even an air guitar championship and a YouTube video of the 2008 championship winning performance...

Fifty-three seconds of it was all I could take.  Anybody make it all the way through? 
Frank
Florida

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2009, 07:27:24 PM »
I couldn't figure out how to stop it so I killed my entire forum session.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2009, 07:29:29 PM »
Lou, you could have just used the Back button in your browser to navigate away from the page, although there is a Stop button in the lower left that will stop it.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2009, 06:09:16 AM »
Reviving this old topic because I had a couple of questions for the folks who take along the "rubber pad" type drum kits in their RV ...

Any special brands? Does the kit come with software or some box that takes the output from the individual drums and feed it to an audio system?

I recently bought a Sony Workstation 3 for my grandson and sprang for a "band kit", comprised of a guitar, microphone, and drum kit (3 drums/pads, base pedal, and 2 cymbals/pads). Not at all what I was expecting. A DVD inserted in the Playstation offers a choice of song and difficulty level. The drums are color coded, and the on-screen display shows which color to play and when. The system keeps track of your accuracy. Similarly for the guitar player.

For now, this satisfies my lifelong desire to "play drums", at least when my grandson isn't playing. However, it made me wonder what "drums" the true musicians here take along in their RV.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 06:10:48 AM by Tom »

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2009, 10:34:03 AM »
Yeah Tom, what you described is a video game... sounds just like the "Rock Band" or "Guitar Hero" series commonly available in retail stores.

The premier brand of electronic drums available are Roland V-Drums.  They have a "brain" control unit that all the various audio cords from each drum plug into, and the various sound options are only limited by how many tones you have loaded (by computer) into your unit.  Similar to any high-end electronic keyboards (many made by Roland also) with multiple tones and sound effects.  Many drummers (myself included) don't really like the feel of the V-Drums though and much prefer the real thing, but for RVing they do of course have the advantage of quietness and portability... although V-Drums are made to be as realistic as possible and when set up they take up about as much space as a standard acoustic drum kit.

Here's a site with some purchase options... you can see the prices are about the same as standard acoustic drums too.  :o  ;)

Luca1369

• ---
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2009, 10:53:04 AM »
The last band I was in did not have a drummer, but we did have a bass player with a drum machine.  I will never again play with a drum machine.  I much prefer a flesh and blood drummer that can play with feeling...much preferable to playing with a clock.

Steve
Steve

Robert Louis Stevenson

Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2009, 11:24:42 AM »

carson FL

It counts for Roger Whittaker.
Marc...

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2009, 11:33:15 AM »
Thanks Scott. Yes, Guitar Hero it is.

I could buy a Roland kit for what I'm into the Playstation III, accessories and a few games.

The last time I sat in front of a real drum kit was in the 60's when a friend invited me along to a gig his group was playing after work. I asked the drummer if I could "sit and try" before the real gig started, and he said "go ahead". I think I got stage fright when several folks came up to the stage and said "we didn't know you played in this group". Gimme a mic' and I'll sing, but I wasn't ready for the spotlight while plonking away at the drums  :(

I need to find time to visit the nearest large music store (The Guitar Center), about an hour from here. Last time I was there, they had a separate room set up to demo drum kits, but I didn't have time to stop.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 11:43:28 AM by Tom »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2009, 11:34:19 AM »
Quote from: Luca1369
I much prefer a flesh and blood drummer that can play with feeling..

Steve,

Just curious how folks find the space to take along a full drum kit in an RV.

Luca1369

• ---
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2009, 11:57:04 AM »

A toy hauler???

Steve
Steve

Robert Louis Stevenson

Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2009, 12:20:15 PM »

I'm guessing the percentage has got to be somewhere between 0% and 0.1% perhaps.  ;)  It would be pretty difficult to fit all the drums, stands, cymbals, miscellaneous hardware, and mics/cords (if applicable for live playing) in the RV, not to mention the constant loading and unloading.  Just about any traveling band I've ever seen (or been in) brings along a van or cargo trailer for all the musical gear.  RV-wise, a toy hauler would be a good option as Steve mentioned.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2009, 01:38:09 PM »
It would be pretty difficult to fit all the drums, stands, cymbals, miscellaneous hardware, and mics/cords (if applicable for live playing) in the RV

That's exactly why I asked the question Scott. It was in response to Steve's comment:

I will never again play with a drum machine.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2009, 02:55:23 PM »
The last band I was in did not have a drummer, but we did have a bass player with a drum machine.  I will never again play with a drum machine.  I much prefer a flesh and blood drummer that can play with feeling...much preferable to playing with a clock.

Steve

One of the more interesting "Bands" I have several recordings is actually directed....by a precussionist, He uses a drum machine....One of the best and no you can not buy one like it as .. Well... a lot of the electronics used by this group has a serial number of 0001 and there is no 0002.

However they also usually perform with a 2nd little back up group.. Generally a Philharmonic or Symphony, so they have real drums too.

If you have not figured out the name of Chip's band... it's Mannheim Steamroller
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2009, 10:54:02 PM »
A toy hauler???

Steve

A friend of mine knows a guy that bought a toy hauler just so he would have a garage to jam in.  His only toys are his instuments.
Marc...

Gottasmilealot

• ---
  • 1995 Sunline T-2053
    • 1995 Sunline T-2053; 1998 Dodge Dakota 4WD
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2009, 11:33:34 PM »
I use my RV almost exclusively for attending bluegrass festivals, so two banjos and a guitar are always in a bunk.
Keith

Gottasmilealot

• ---
  • 1995 Sunline T-2053
    • 1995 Sunline T-2053; 1998 Dodge Dakota 4WD
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2012, 08:16:03 AM »
I play acoustic instruments. The thing I like is that they can be played anywhere; nothing else needed.
Keith

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2012, 12:00:29 PM »
Me.. I just bring my voice.. Wish I'd learned to keyboard.. Should have when I had the chance. but alas, Did not. so all I can bring is voice.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

FrontrangeRVer

• ---
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2012, 07:49:34 PM »
It's hard to take my musical instrument on the road.  Here I am in action: 
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
2005 Hyundai Elantra

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2012, 08:52:59 PM »
We don't carry an instrument, other than Tara's voice, but we do carry a set of powered speakers (350W RMS each), mixer, microphones, and (of course) assorted computers.
Ernie

Up with old posts!
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

PatrioticStabilist

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2012, 09:11:42 AM »
When younger I could sing pretty good, but didn't much for many years, so kind of lost it I guess. Also played some piano by ear.

I am envious of all you talented people.  My only musical instrument is my Sirius Radio!  And I love it. ;D

Sure would like to go to a gathering though where all you talented folks break out the instruments and play, what fun that would be.

RedDirtForDinner

• ---
    • reddirtdinner blog
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2012, 05:54:31 PM »
My husband is a "Nashville" songwriter, producer, singer who is leaving Music City to once again pursue a career on the road, after taking 10 years off for the kids. We're taking our 10 year old twin boys and little girl and hitting the Red Dirt scene. Can't wait for some bonfire playing at campgrounds all over the US, esp the south and west.

Just launching this blog/website about it and would love some encouraging feedback there as his momma is sure to blow it up with how irresponsible we are as soon as she knows about the blog. (Link in signature line.)

So if you hear Dan's guitar, bring your uke, spoons, banjo, humming, etc and come join us at the campfire. I'll have my cd player so I can play along. I promise not to sing. lol
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 07:40:41 PM by Tom »

Hosted by Over The Network