Music on the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

Ok, I''ll start this topic. It may be a lot of fun.

I am sure that many of our travelers are musically inclined (I am declined) and carry instruments along in their travels. Wouldn't it be great if we learned a bit about that?

I am personally a frustrated musician. I believe I have perfect pitch, but cannot play any instrument well.
In my possession I have a Wald-Zither, a guitar, a mandolin, bongo drums, an heraldic horn, a Casio keyboard, a mouth organ...nothing works for me. I guess my brain does not connect with my fingers or other muscles. I am convinced now that I am a scientist, not an artist. (Is that the difference in people ?)

Please tell us about your situation, even brag about it, and tell us what it does for your enjoyment.

What instruments do you carry in your travels?

carson FL

Carson,

I've played bands since I was a teenager...blues bands, jazz bands, Country bands, Southern Rock bands, and even a sailing-cruiser band in Guatemala for a couple of seasons.

I carry four guitars with me.  Two acoustics, a 12 and a 6-string, and two 6-string electrics, one of which I built from scratch with some very expensive and vintage electronics from a 57' Les Paul.  I also have a small amp and a pedal board with a tuner, compressor, and an A/B switch that allows me to shift from one guitar to the other, or from one amp to another.

As for enjoyment...priceless!  Warning...I do not (cannot) sing!

Steve

I'm a drummer but don't often carry instruments with me.  Heck, you can make drums out of anything anywhere anyhow.  Who needs instruments!  ;D  A little bit of harmonica too, and I too have a fairly cheap set of 12.  Maybe I could carry those along for the ol' campfire songs.

This is great, now we are getting somewhere; come on folks, sing out.

How about weird instruments ?    What about your favorites? 

Music is eternal, the spice of life.

carson FL

I am a lifetime musician. I carry an electric guitar, a bass guitar and under the dining room table is a 100 watt bass amp with a 15"  speaker. Just today I ordered a 76 key Casio keyboard. I got a killer deal, only $139. Eventually I plan on getting a set of electronic drums so I have the full band with me. I have been in many bands but now I wander aimlessly around the country. The best musical instrument I play now is my iPod.

The only instrument I'm able to play is my voice. I can usually pick up a tune by ear and reproduce something that's at least close to the original.

While in grammar school, I signed up for a music class and was given a violin to take home. After a few screeches, I was told to take the violin back and not bring it home again. Bottom line, I didn't learn how to read music or play an instrument. Several years ago I bought an electronic keyboard, a few books and some CDs, and taught myself to read a little music. My objective was to correlate what I saw on a score with what comes out of my mouth (see note).

I play an electronic keyboard about as well as I type on a computer keyboard, and my wife says I'm the fastest 1-finger typist she knows. In addition to the lack of dexterity, I can't read more than a couple of notes at a time, so I'm continually having to read and look for the next note. I now understand why, when I was a kid and knocked on other kids' doors, their parents would say "Johnny can't come out to play, he's practicing playing the piano".

BTW when my Dad was around 8 years old, my grandfather used to take him around the rich people's houses to sing and make some money to help feed the large family. Check out the photo taken c 1919. I learned just a couple of years ago, while talking with my Dad's remaining sister, that it all came to an end when his voice broke.

Note: my objective has not yet been achieved.

Attachments

• AlecSinging-c1919-2.jpg
    AlecSinging-c1919-2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 43
I plan on getting a set of electronic drums so I have the full band with me.

As a kid, I always wanted to play drums. I "studied" by watching drummers wherever I went. Alas, as a kid and in my youth, I was never able to afford a set of drums. In our youth, several friends and I used to dream of forming a group, although none of us could afford instruments. We'd "practice" at one guy's house with a turntable playing vinyl, several guys using tennis racquets as "guitars" and me using several tin cans as "drums".

To this day, while listening to a "group", you'll see my hands and feet "playing drums".

judway said:
I play the CD player and I am good at it ;D ;D.

Yep I am pretty good at playing the CD player too.  But that is about as far as my musical ability goes.  I always admire those with real musical talent.

Tom said:
The only instrument I'm able to play is my voice. I can usually pick up a tune by ear and reproduce something that's at least close to the original.

While in grammar school, I signed up for a music class and was given a violin to take home. After a few screeches, I was told to take the violin back and not bring it home again. Bottom line, I didn't learn how to read music or play an instrument. Several years ago I bought an electronic keyboard, a few books and some CDs, and taught myself to read a little music. My objective was to correlate what I saw on a score with what comes out of my mouth (see note).

Note: my objective has not yet been achieved.

Here's a picture of Tom striving for his objective a few years back...

Attachments

• Tom.jpg
    Tom.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 49
Here's a photo of my favorite group.

Steve

Attachments

• stooges_and_fenders.gif
    stooges_and_fenders.gif
    77.9 KB · Views: 63
I played percussion in middle and high school band, including the middle school jazz band.  I played a few times with kids at the alternative high school where I taught.  In fact, I recently saw a student from 20 years ago who asked if I was still playing the drums!  I was tickled that she remembered that!  I also sing - mostly folk and country.  I love karaoke nights at my campground!

Here's a picture of Tom striving for his objective a few years back...

LOL he looks a little older now and has put on a few pounds, just like me  ;D

A few shots of me in my teenage years.

Attachments

• Tom 1964-04.jpg
    Tom 1964-04.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Tom 1965-01.jpg
    Tom 1965-01.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 54
I wanted terribly to be in the band in middle school.  The trumpet or cornet was my instrument of choice, but it didn't take the music teacher long to discover  (what the girls in the class already knew)  I didn't have the pucker for it.

I (we - 'teach and I) decided to change to the clarinet, only because it seemed easy to take apart and to carry to school on band day.  (It's hard to look cool while tootin' a trombone case).  After a few too many screeches and squeals ole 'teach confiscated all my reeds.

It was about then that my dad decided, that watching his son try to blow his brains through a black pipe that made no sound, didn't justify the cost of instrument rental.  Undaunted, and madly in love with the girl playing first flute, I persevered.   The band teacher had another name for it, but that's another story.

Deep into the second week of band practice we came to a mutual agreement that maybe drums was where I would could make my contribution.  It didn't occur to me that I was being relegated to the back (far back) of the band room.  I couldn't wait to get my hands (sticks) on a drum.

Drum??  I was given a rubber pad.  A rubber pad.  It took me one whole semister to beat a hole in that rubber pad.  Did I get a drum?   NO!  I got another rubber pad....

Oh! Did I mention this was a marching band?  Have you ever heard of a part in a marching band for the "rubber Pad"?
That fact was not obvious to me in middle school so I thought it was just an accident that I got locked in the band room during the big "home coming" half time show.....

You might think this experience would be enough to stunt my musical development, but au contraire...

Behold! the fine studio quality percussion instrument presented in the attached photo. 

Attachments

• 100_0448.jpg
    100_0448.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 61
I too was lucky enough to put in my first six months on a Ludwig rubber pad. Actually I am glad I did because that meant I didn't have to listen to my first miserable attempts to imitate Gene Krupa. I was about 7 years old at the time. Went for drum lessons every week to some old mans attic. He must have been 30.

I am a musician, but have been trading Energy for over 28 years as my main career. 

I am a keyboardist and a music major, and have played with many many bands over the years, and am now able to occasionally play the Hammond B3 with a Contemporary Christian band called "Desperation", based out of New Life Church here in Colorado Springs, and sometimes direct the choir on Sunday mornings.

I was fortunate to direct the New Life Worship Choir on our latest release Counting on God and you can see me directing in this video of one of our new songs, "Overcome" by Jon Egan.

I don't travel in our RV with any equipement....just sometimes annoy people if they have a piano sitting around the campground facilities.  ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom