Music on the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mark, WOW another "big church" musician!  :)  I am a drummer/percussionist for the music program at our church of 4000 or so in Normal, IL.  In fact we have recently put "Overcome" in our rotation of songs, and I've played it a few times myself.  Very inspiring story behind that tune, which was shared to the congregation the first time we played it a couple months back.

You guys are giving me an inferiority complex, so I have to post a shot of my first musical instrument - I call this my musical debut.

I'm reminded of a local water rat (fulltime boater) who, for as long as I can remember, would play Reveille on his bugle at 5.30am every day. Nobody complained - it was all part of the "ambiance" of the Delta, but I can't imagine what reactions he'd have received if he had done that at a campground.

Attachments

• Trumpet.jpg
    Trumpet.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 38
Yeah Scott....as you watch the Overcome video, its a story (by Jon Egan of Desperation) about overcoming several issues which arose at our church....first the disaster about the Pastor, Ted Haggard, and then the shootings that happened at the Church last year.  :eek:  The song (and story in the video link) are very powerful.

Glad to hear you guys playing that song....I have no doubt you are playing others by Desperation also!   :)

You and I now have something in common, and I will remember your posts in the future!  :)

Voyage1 said:
I am a musician, but have been trading Energy for over 28 years as my main career. 

I am a keyboardist and a music major, and have played with many many bands over the years, and am now able to occasionally play the Hammond B3 with a Contemporary Christian band called "Desperation", based out of New Life Church here in Colorado Springs, and sometimes direct the choir on Sunday mornings.

I was fortunate to direct the New Life Worship Choir on our latest release Counting on God and you can see me directing in this video of one of our new songs, "Overcome" by Jon Egan.

I don't travel in our RV with any equipement....just sometimes annoy people if they have a piano sitting around the campground facilities.   ;)

Oh, the Hammond B3. What a great organ!!! Especially running through a Leslie.

I use headphones for playing my guitar and I will use them for my synthesizer and drums once they arrive.

seilerbird said:
Oh, the Hammond B3. What a great organ!!! Especially running through a Leslie.

Yep....have a Leslie with ours also....nothing better than to spin that speaker and run your hands up and down the keys for the "growl"!!!!

If any of you 'real' musicians attend a forum rally, there's always a willing audience. I for one would be in the front row (of the audience).

Quite an array of talent represented here.  I am always in awe of musical talent as I have absolutely none.

Lou (onaquest) said:
Quite an array of talent represented here.  I am always in awe of musical talent as I have absolutely none.

Your story was HILLARIOUS though!  Still laughing about the rubber pads.

Even though I play many instruments I have never felt like I had talent. I am just very stubborn about spending a lot of time practicing.

Maybe TALENT isn't the all defining word, Tom, but for some of us, without that talent, no amount of practice would result in a satisfactory product.  If you didn't have the talent to recognize the difference between making noise and making music how would you know that your practicing was doing any good?

That may be a little too simplistic, but you get my drift.

I would bet any amount of money that no matter how talentless a person thinks they are, that within three hours of practice I could teach anyone to play Blackbird by the Beatles on acoustic guitar. And you would sound very close to the record.

Lou (onaquest) said:
Maybe TALENT isn't the all defining word, Tom, but for some of us, without that talent, no amount of practice would result in a satisfactory product.  If you didn't have the talent to recognize the difference between making noise and making music how would you know that your practicing was doing any good?

Talent and practice make all the difference...especially when you try playing an instrument that you're not very familiar with.  In the early 70s I was playing in a little juke joint north of Atlanta on 41 on the way to Tennessee (before the new stretch of I-75 was completed).  I was playing guitar and the owner asked me to lend my guitar to a friend of his from Nashville who came in and offered to sing a song.  That friend was the country star Freddie Hart. 

I lent him my guitar and the band broke into Promised Land, a Chuck Berry number.  I wandered over to the other side of the stage and picked up one of our singer's harmonicas.  I couldn't really play a harp, but I knew that I could blow into it and keep it in key with the chords being played on the song, sort of like a rhythm harp...so that's what I did, blowing it softly into a microphone.  Well, it came to the break and Freddie looked at me and said "Mr. Harp Man!"  My cue for a solo!!!!  Luckily the audience was drunk.  I made a lot of wild upper body gyrations, blew a few notes in key and in time, and somehow made it through without too much embarrassment...no that's a lie, I was embarrased as heck.  The band new I couldn't play the harp, and now so did Freddie...he never called upon me for a harp solo again...thankfully.

Steve

Steve, we can form a small combo.  Air guitar, rubber pad and vocals (as soon as I finish reading "Lip Sync for Dummies").

I must admit that I had no idea what the term 'air guitar' meant. This WiKi explains it. I came to find out there's even an air guitar championship and a YouTube video of the 2008 championship winning performance. This makes my fellow 'musicians playing tennis racquets' look very good. I can see how easy it would be take an air guitar on the road, but fellow campers might not appreciate the background music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efNdI8uzWN8

S J Strait said:
dose air guitar count lol.  :D

Reminds me of a trailer (the movie kind, not the RV kind) I saw recently for a recent documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea32R_2jSxg

I like these kinds of films and am actually very interested in that one!  Looks quite entertaining, and I can certainly appreciate that level of enjoyment of music even with actual instruments. 8)

Tom said:
I can see how easy it would be take an air guitar on the road, but fellow campers might not appreciate the background music.

Tom, having music playing is not a prerequisite for playing air guitar. However the Wikipedia article does omit an important date in the history of the air guitar. In 1965 the Beatles released a movie called Help. In the movie Paul plays air guitar (bass) using a female for the guitar. This was one of the most important dates in the history of air guitar.

Thanks Tom.

having music playing is not a prerequisite for playing air guitar

Wouldn't that be the equivalent of lip syncing karoake without the words on a screen? Of course, if someone wanted music to accompany their air guitar, they could just listen to their MP3 player.

Tom said:
Thanks Tom.

Wouldn't that be the equivalent of lip syncing karoake without the words on a screen? Of course, if someone wanted music to accompany their air guitar, they could just listen to their MP3 player.

Music is playing in my head all the time. I can play air guitar to that music, in fact I do occasionally. Since I started life as a drummer my feet are playing air drums a lot of the time. Can't stop them.

Tom**bird, could that be "restless leg syndrome"?   :D

I haven't looked at the videos yet...can't wait. I told you this post may be fun.

Does perfect pitch 'whistling count'. ?

carson FL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom