Maxxair roof vent covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1996terry

Hey guys, I'm new here, but I already have questions (which is partly why I joined :D) I'm asking on behalf of myself, and my dad whop doesn't know how to work a computer...

When we are out at the camp sites, and on the highway we see alot of 5th wheels and travel trailers with these "Maxxair vent covers"

What are the advantages of them? Are there similar products out on the market? I know on their company website they list the advantages, but I'd like to hear it from someone who has actually uses these things.

They seem like a pretty good investment, but I don't know.

Basically, I'm just wondering what they do exactly, are they worth the money, how people that have them or have had them like/liked them.

Thanks!!

- Jeff L.

Jeff, I think their purpose is to allow the vent to be open in the rain.  According to some fan manufacturers, the vent cover reduces the air flow, but if it's raining some is better than none.

Robert

Hi Jeff,

As Robert mentioned, their main purpose is to allow ventilation when it's raining. They can be left open when the rig is not in use as well. If you have a "regular" fan you probably won't notice much difference in the operation. If you have a Fantastic Fan or one of it's copies, then you will have greatly reduced air flow and quite possibly will void the warranty. They do make a special vent cover for the Fantastic Fan which is much larger but allows the vent to open fully for more air flow.

We put a MaxxAir vent with fan over the vent in the head and it moves much more air through the vent than the standard tiny fan and is quieter too.  They make an oversized vent cover that lets the Fantastic Fan vents open fully.

Maxxair vent covers significantly reduce air flow and even the large size does not allow a Fantastic Fan to adequately open.  If the Fantastic Fan is motorized, the FF lid will force against the Maxxair hood and eventually crack the FF lid.

A FF fan with a rain detector is the best way to protect against rain.  If ventilation in the rain is required, a FF opened to the point where the fan motor will activate along with an slightly open window will move air through the RV without letting in the rain

Steve,

I have not installed any covers over Fantastic Vents but I would think they would be fine if placed properly on the roof. Even with the smaller covers you can place it so the vent itself will not open properly. I believe the Fantastic Vent will stop when it meets an obstruction minimizing any problems with breakage.

Rain sensors are a great idea but poorly executed. They do work but they also create an annoying condition where a little dew on the sensor will close the vent. Then it dries and reopens. Pat has many times turned the fan off at night because the constant opening and closing has kept her awake. Fortunately, I don't hear it. :)

Jim,

I had to replace both FF vent lids because they both cracked from the continuous braking pressure against the Maxxair vents.  That was about 4 years ago, so they broke after about htree years of use.

At every rally FF has an exhibit, they demonstrate the significantly reduced air flow when an addon vent cover is installed.

That being said, I agree the rain sensor board could be redesigned, or at least the rain sensing board would be more effective if it were installed at a location away from the fan itself.  That way it would not be affected by dew and or condensation.

1996terry said:
Basically, I'm just wondering what they do exactly, are they worth the money, how people that have them or have had them like/liked them.

The Maxxair vent covers are one of the best inventions for an RV.  You can have the vent open while you drive on the freeway.  They make the vent rain proof so you don't have to close the vent during a heavy rain storm.

I used the small ones on my previous MH and they work fine if you only run the Fantastic Fan on low or medium.  The large version allows the Fantastic Fan to run on high OK.

My Maxxair covers have been in use on my current MH for 6 years with NO PROBLEMS.  :)  I highly recommend them.

Phil

I have installed Maxxair vent covers over my Fantastic fans for two reasons: one, I don't trust the automatic closing and two, I can keep the vents open and not worry about whether or not I have power. While on the road, I do keep the rear vent closed as I have found it tends to suck in dirt when open due to pressure/air flow in the back. We also have a Maxxfan in the bathroom which we really like. The Fantastic fans came with my rig but if I had a choice, I would have opted for Maxxfans all around instead of Fantastic.

Steve,

Did you use the "standard" maxxair vents or the ones designed for FF type units? The special design is a much taller vent cover which allows the vent to open a lot more. One can always take the FF out of automatic and open it by hand. That would eliminate any force against the cover.

Jim,

The vent covers I had were the toll ones made to be installed over pre installed fans like FF.  And you are right, FF can be opened manually, but when we started out i did not know that and used the motorized opening mechanism.  The torque force of the FF motor is so strong that when it forces against the Max vent repeatedly it cause the FF vent to crack.

Steve,

I'll have to look the next time I see one of the tall ones installed. Not many want to buy them since they are so expensive.

I was working on a 40' Allegro Phaeton with four slides today. It had 3 FF like ours but the controls were different. They use a spring loaded switch to open and close the vents. That way you can stop it anywhere you want. They did not have rain sensors but that has nothing to do with the control switch.

Jim,

I wonder if we can modify our FF;s to use the spring loaded swx.? I suspect not, as there may be a circuit board sensing the direction of travel of the vent cover.

The present system requires, as you know, forcibly stalling the rising vent by holding the rotating knob.

It would be worth dropping an email to FF technical suppport.? If for no other reason, it's fun getting back her return email with the fancy stationery and animations.... Drop her a note:

Shelley L. Dunbar
Consumer Relations
Technical Support

Steve,

I would imagine it would take some rewiring. What I don't understand is why they didn't make the switch in the john open the cover instead of just turning on the fan. What other location would need that option more?? :)

Karl said:
Jim,

Glad to see you've got a steady(?) job again!  ;D

Karl,

Wish the "steady" part was true. I had 1 1/2 days this week. That was due to the PDI co-ordinator taking time off. :) They had this Phaeton that's due to go out Monday and the PDI Co-ordinator and the Service Manager didn't want the regular PDI tech to do it. ;D This customer is quite affluent, had lots of problems with a Bounder he bought from us, and only came back because of the way he was treated at the dealership.

Sometimes it's difficult to convince people that "service with a smile" goes a long way to creating loyal customers. I had an orientation on Thursday for an Allegro gas model. They, too, came back because of the treatment by the dealership.

Always install and use these. Keep ventilation active and never worry about unexpected rain. Easy to install and look great.

I have two max covers over FF. I'm sure it restricts the air flow some, but they still move a lot of air. They only problem I had with the first one that after 5 years it became very brittle due to the consent exposure to UV's. That last two I coated with white roof coating hoping to get more that 5 years from them. Time will tell.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom