How about some good news for a change...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
According to RV Industry News...
For  the month of December 2008,  (Thor) Damon?s gas coach sales were UP:  Daybreak up 7.7% and the Challenger up 15.4%. Their diesel models were also UP with the Astoria brand  up 8.4 % and the Tuscany brand up 13.6%.

I'm not much of a Damon fan, but they must be doing something right.  Low prices may be part of it. Or perhaps a source of credit they can pass on to their dealers.

Well, Gary, I got a smile out of it. I don't want to jinx anything, but my Damon Challenger has been a delight. Not a lick of trouble, so far. Oh, and it's on a Workhorse chassis. (Where's the smiley with crossed fingers?)

I wonder if maybe Damon products have gotten more bad press than they deserve. ???

Anyway, thanks for the up-beat report. Not enough of those, these days.  ;D

Ray D  ;D

It's always nice to see good news. Hope you get some good news of your own, Gary.

Wendy

Gary,

Many of the RV shows across the country are held in Jan. and Feb. That might also account for the increased sales.
I for one don't even want to look at a new coach right now. My old Pace, which is paid for, and doesn't eat anything, is looking better and better in my drive.

Woody

Go Thor!  ;D  Although my Thor MH has little in common with today's Thor International and their various brands.  But it is nice to hear some positive news from the industry. 

It seems with the current economic state, RVers may have to start buying some cheaper models that they can pay cash for - rather than taking out long-term loans on an item that will only depreciate in value.  Banks will likely (hopefully?) stop handing out loan money like it's candy, which should get things back on track in the big picture.

Buying with cash is always better than incurring debt anyway, but our society had forgotten that in many cases and abandoned the idea of delayed gratification while saving up money for a purchase.  Maybe some of those principles will begin to return now.

And I just finished typing a reply in the "Thread Hijack" discussion.  Ha!  Okay, back on track...

Good news!  Keep it coming!

I have a friend that is looking to buy a new deisel truck and a 5th wheel....we need more people willing to take the first step, and not wait until the President "takes care of us".  ;) 

RV Roamer said:
According to RV Industry News...
For  the month of December 2008,  (Thor) Damon?s gas coach sales were UP:  Daybreak up 7.7% and the Challenger up 15.4%. Their diesel models were also UP with the Astoria brand  up 8.4 % and the Tuscany brand up 13.6%...

Is that in comparison to November, 2008 or December, 2007 (previous month or previous year)?

The article did not state a comparison.  See Damon Sales Increase

It is also worthwhile noting that Damon had only 7% market share of Class A sales.  December 2008 Class shipments were only 400 units for all manufacturers, so Damon shipped about 28 total.  An increase of 10-15% is only a couple of additional units and could be just a blip in the numbers. I think, though, that Damon sales have been fairly consistent while others have gone down the drain.

Gary
The RV industry problems remind me of the snowmobile industry problems in the early 70's. At that time there were about 70 manufactures of snowmobiles. Times got tough etc. and they started buying others out and going out of business. In a few years there were only 4 companies left making them. This led to better quality, improved machines and so on. Now they get mileage as good as a lot of cars, 20 - 30 mpg. They are quiet and have 2 strokes that pass the Calif. emission standards, with technology that rivals  automobiles.

So in the long run we may be better off, but that doesn't help the people or problems right now.

I had forgotten about the fallout in the snowmobile industry but it may be a good analogy. Bombardier emerged from that as a titan in the personal recreational vehicle industry and I suspect we may see something like that happen here, when the economy finally turns around. Maybe Bombardier will even buy up a few motorhome brand names, as they did with some of the foremost brands of snow and water vehicles.

As you say, a setback like this often leads to improved products as manufacturers try to entice customers with value & reliability rather than glitz.

Well the story just covered the highlights, It was a newspaper report, not a company report after all.

And I notice it did NOT say Damon Sales had increased.. What it said in cut and paste mode was:
"Damon Motor Coach, a Thor Industries subsidiary, has gained market share even during tough economic times."

The Market Share went up..  In theory as company after company shutters its windows and padlocks its doors, whomever remains will get a larger and larger share of the market.

That said,  My understanding is that Damon, being backed by Thor, is strong financially and in no danger of a padlocking.   Thus, if you are looking to buy new just now, it's clearly worth consideration.  Now, many other companies are going to come out of this mess. perhaps a bit leaner and trimmer, but not still strong.

But folks see Damon as being strong now.. And when they look at ________ (you fill in the company) in many cases they see the word "Bankruptcy" and they ... Shop elsewhere.

You see: Folks say "Well what if my ______ Breaks down and needs repair or replacement..  Now I'm going to talk about my rig, which happens to be a Damon

Refrigerator: Is warranted by Dometic, not Damon
Air Conditioner: Carrier
Teelvision: Toshibia on the OEM Samsung on the one I put in
Water Heater: Attwood (Dometic)
Furnace: Attwood
Awning: A&E (Dometic)
Microwave Dometic warranted by Lucky Goldstar, which means it was broke when it was designed. (And it was too)
VCR: Zenith, another LG brand now days, replaced adn the new one is  no longer under warranty (Panasonic)
Home Theater including Radio, CD/DVD player and more, and Dash Radio: Pioneer

And so on.  The only thing Damon itself warrants is the body, though they are an authorized Workhorse service center for some Workhorse related issues.

In a message posted on a Newmar list, Newmar has announced that the service facility will now work on any brand for certain things, carpet and flooring and other stuff common to mast RVs.  Interesting way to keep busy.

More good news.  I just received an email that said:

Good News from the RV Industry - We May have Turned the Corner!

NuWa to Begin Production in June. NuWa Industries Inc. intends to start building HitchHiker fifth-wheels again beginning in June after a six-month shutdown of its factory in Chanute, Kan., according to a letter on the company's website. In the letter, CEO Mike Mitchell said the company will roll out 2010 product through the fall while cutting retail prices substantially as it will begin selling RVs factory-direct to better service consumers consumers without a NuWa dealer nearby.

"NuWa will be a smaller company, so we will not be as much at the mercy of a volatile economy," Mitchell wrote. "NuWa will have fewer dealers by choice, and these will be selected for their commitment to HitchHiker trailers and the exceptional customers who seek our product."

The company announced in late December that it was making "a graceful exit from the RV industry" and would stop production in January while keeping a service center open until at least 2010 to meet the parts, warranty and service needs of its customers and dealers. At the time, dealers were told that NuWa was not going bankrupt and "intended to meet its financial obligations."

More Good News!

Country Coach - Set to Reopen: Luxury motor coach manufacturer Country Coach LLC said that its principle secured debt holders have come to terms and new reorganization financing will be made available. With the support of Wells Fargo Bank as the company's primary secured creditor, and Bryant Riley as the leader of Country Coach's investor group, the company said it is positioned to resume operations. Country Coach shut down its Junction City, Ore., facility last December. The company reported that it has many confirmed, in-process motor coach orders to fulfill, allowing a slow and steady production facility reopening over the next several weeks.

"Our loyal employees, customers and suppliers deserve our heart-felt appreciation for their steadfastness in our times of trouble," said CEO and President Jay Howard. "Ultimately, our biggest debt of gratitude is owed to Wells Fargo Bank, who is providing the financing for the rebirth of Country Coach as they recognize the value of financially supporting American manufacturing in the Pacific Northwest."

Winnebago Confident about Future!

"Even with a depressed retail market, I continue to believe that once our dealers' floorplan lenders provide the dealers with sufficient credit to enable them to reorder product to more closely match retail sell-through, we will experience an increase in deliveries," said Olson.  Looking forward, Winnebago said that its financial stability along with contraction among manufacturers would put it in a strong position once the market returns.

"While several major competitors are in very difficult financial circumstances, we are confident of our financial strength and competitive position in this economic recession," said Olson. "We have enviable brand strength, quality products and financial stability to withstand the downturn."

:->

Ron said:
Would be very good if they are successful.

I am not so sure if it's good news. It's somewhat expected.

IOW, the more their competitors go out of business, the more business the few left will get.

-Don- SSF, CA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom