Deep Cycle Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caper1973

Need to know what the experts think.  I've got two batteries, thinking about selling one of them as we do very little dry camping ...

Battery 1:  Deep Cycle / Starting   ... 700 Marine Cranking amps, 140 reserve, made by Energizer  (never used)

Battery 2:  Heavy Duty Deep Cycle ...  specs from that one:  (CA)  RC  150      (CCA)  24RV -150   (2 yrs old, minimal use)

Not sure which is best for our tent trailer

Been reading the battery related posts and still learning the pros and cons of all the different brands, types, etc.

Suggestions ?

I would keep at least one of 'em as you never know when 12 volt will come in handy  IE: Power fail) 

Both of those are the same type Marine/Deep cycle no matter how they are called. The clue is the presence of cranking amp (CA and CCA) ratings

IF you got to sell one, Well. Sell the one that the buyer is willing to pay the most for.

On the face of it, Battery #2.   What brand is it?   How old is #1?  What its current state of charge?

For trailer use, you want a single purpose deep cycle battery.   Combo starting/"deep"cycle is a compromise that is not particularly good for either use.

Starting batteries have lots of thin plates to deliver a sudden high amperage surge to run a starter motor.  Constant deep cycling quickly ruins the thin plates.   Deep cycle units have a few, thick plates that can stand to be repeatedly discharged but cannot deliver a big starting surge.  Combo batteries are the worst of both worlds:  mediocre surge and poor lasting ability.

John In Detroit said:
Both of those are the same type Marine/Deep cycle no matter how they are called. The clue is the presence of cranking amp (CA and CCA) ratings

Not necessarily.   Here is a spec sheet on deep cycle RV batteries from Lifeline.  http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/rvdeepcyclebatteries.php

Carl L said:
On the face of it, Battery #2.   What brand is it?   How old is #1?  What its current state of charge?
Battery 2 - Deka Marine and RV.  Came from the factory on an 06 TT.
Battery 1 - purchased July 07, never used.  Was to replace the battery in last year's trailer but since sold.

Haven't checked the charge state yet, both have been shelved in my garage since the trailer went into storage in Oct.

Hmmm.  I fear that it is six of one half dozen of another.   Check state of charge.  Batteries lose charge and go quietly to hell just sitting there unconnected.   If either is over 80% down at the start, you have lost a lot of capacity (maybe 30%)

Charge them both fully and check again.  Run them under one hour of trailer load and check again  Go with the highest output voltage.

You can find a battery voltage to charge table in our library HERE.

I wouldn't sell either - if your PUP has a break-away switch, I believe it requires the battery to operate. 

You can find a scad of information on RV batteries in a publication called "The 12-volt side of Life".

Happy Camping!

Back
Top Bottom