% Amazing Things Your Cell Phone Can Do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would be interesting to know how many tried to unlock their car with their cell phone as described and how many did it actually work for.

Ron said:
John you forgot to mention the ole cranker as shown in attached photo. ;D

LOL Ron,

Our ring on the farm (party line) was a "short and a long".....

When we heard our ring we would pick up the phone to say hello and would hear, click... click... click... as people up and down the line were camping on to listen in to our conversation.  It was customary to pause and then tell everyone to please hang up their phones and mind their own business..... ;D

I also heard that if you are at a ATM and are getting held up put you pin number in backwards. You will still get you money and the police will be called.

Anyone heard of this?

Also you all should have your Emergency contact in your cell phone under ICE. EMT's will check the phone under ICE In case of Emergency and call that person.

1 for 2, Glenn :)  Most people under the stress of a holdup would have trouble remembering the PIN number let alone reversing it.  And it doesn't work, another urban legend.

wkndfun said:
I also heard that if you are at a ATM and are getting held up put you pin number in backwards. You will still get you money and the police will be called.
Ditto what Ned said.
Also you all should have your Emergency contact in your cell phone under ICE. EMT's will check the phone under ICE In case of Emergency and call that person.

The ICE number is something that is factual and should be used.  We have our numbers (Sam has my number and I have hers) and our childrens numbers listed under ICE.  Good practice.

Ok, here is the latest on the car-unlocking  mystery with a cell phone. (in my test).

I have 2 codes programmed into my door locks. I locked the doors, then called my home phone via cell.

After contact, I told my wife to punch in the code 1 ;xxxxx. She did and nothing happened.
Then I told here to punch in code 2;  &&&&& and she did; nothing happened.

I was 2' away from the car and had 5 bars on the phone. Her audio was perfect.

I suppose justifying theory is great until it turns out it doesn't work. That's life.  ;D

Is the Earth really round?   ::)

Your comments please.

carson FL

I just tested it with my wife for work and her car at home.....no luck it would have be great!!

scottydl said:
I'm with you 100% on that 0%.  ;)

I wouldn't even waste my time to check it (I've been a radio technician for all my working life). When I saw that on the list of what a cell phone could do, then I thought it was fairly safe to assume most of the entire list was also untrue.

I wonder who comes up with such nonsense to spread around on the internet.

[size=12pt]-Don- San Francisco​

The incoming RF from the cell tower contains the data (voice and other data) in digital form.

In the duplex mode that same data is re-transmitted instantaneously  in digital form on some frequency. It has nothing to do with whatever comes out of the speaker in analog form/ soundwaves. The key lock on the car receives digital data only.

Lets assume the keylock code is 67112; when the lock receives that code in digital form during the re-transmit, bingo, the lock opens. It's the carrier frequency (315Mhz or so) containing that code and being acceptable to the lock, that determines whether or not the lock will open. The receiving bandpass on those lock receivers is probably very broad.

There is a lot of frequency sharing going on in that part of the spectrum.

Neat discussion,

Carson.  The microphone will not pick up RF.  Just as you can't speak RF.  Speakers can't create RF.

Didn't miss the point.

carson said:
I think you missed the point, Bill.

The incoming RF from the cell tower contains the data (voice and other data) in digital form.

In the duplex mode that same data is re-transmitted instantaneously  in digital form on some frequency. It has nothing to do with whatever comes out of the speaker in analog form/ soundwaves. The key lock on the car receives digital data only.

Lets assume the keylock code is 67112; when the lock receives that code in digital form during the re-transmit, bingo, the lock opens. It's the carrier frequency (315Mhz or so) containing that code and being acceptable to the lock, that determines whether or not the lock will open. The receiving bandpass on those lock receivers is probably very broad.

There is a lot of frequency sharing going on in that part of the spectrum.

Neat discussion,

carson FL

The remote keyless entry receiver can only receive the digital code on a 315 MHZ RF carrier.  There is no 315 MHZ coming out of the cellphone, so you're out of luck.

-Don- San Francisco, CA

DonTom said:
I wonder who comes up with such nonsense to spread around on the internet.

Someone who is probably STILL laughing at their own practical joke, since these myths have been around for years and still get discussed and debated regularly on the internet.  This thread is a perfect example.  As long as folks still believe them, the message will continually be passed on via mass e-mails and forums posts.  ::)

Snopes.com as mentioned above, is a great resource for checking the validity of these "too good to be true" types of claims that spread through the internet and e-mail like wildfire.

Ned said:
1 for 2, Glenn :)  Most people under the stress of a holdup would have trouble remembering the PIN number let alone reversing it.  And it doesn't work, another urban legend.

That's what I thought.  Glad someone else confirmed it.

carson said:
 The receiving bandpass on those lock receivers is probably very broad.

One of my rather new keyless remotes just crapped out.  So I took it apart to see what's inside and to see if there's anything I can fix. The small 12 volt battery is good and there's nothing obviously wrong, so I will just order another set instead of wasting a lot of time trying to troubleshoot something so small and cheap.

Anyway, my keyless entry remotes have a crystal for 303.825 mhz. I assume the receiver is also crystal controlled. Since cellphones are nothing near that freq, there's absolutely no chance of it working by cellphone.

I have not taken the receiver apart, but I assume it is also crystal controlled, which means it's probably not all that broad.

Since these remotes use rolling code technology, I should not have to match up any digital codes with the new set. I just hope they are all (from BullDog) on 303.825mhz. But if not, I can change the crystal as long as the one in my old unit is not the problem!

-Don-  Reno, NV

I give up, I concede. I was wrong.  The whole thing was a scam.  Sorry I ever posted it.

On the other hand, it has been conclusively proven by the best engineers and physicists that Bumblebees cannot possibly fly.......

Peace!

Don

Don't feel bad, that stuff is written to sound very believable and practical.  But for future reference, Snopes.com is really a great site for confirming or debunking any of those mass e-mails that we've all received.

gmsboss1 said:
I give up, I concede. I was wrong.  The whole thing was a scam.  Sorry I ever posted it.

Don't be.  It's good for these scams to be exposed.

I would not have reopened this old thread if it wasn't for the fact that one of my keyless entry remotes just crapped out. That made me open the remote to see what's inside.  I  then decided to post the info here.

-Don- Reno, NV

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom