Fuel Filter problem? or something else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkndfun

I post this in another topic but did not get any replies, so I thought I better make it it's own topic.

My 275 cummins runs great! Most of the time. I have had this happen twice now. On a my last trip to NJ from VA it will be running great. I set the cruse and it just runs. Up bridges with little all most no speed lose. Then after I slow to about 25-35 for traffic and get back on the gas it has no power at all. The rpm's will not go up, and the coach can't get out of it's own way. After about 2-5 Min's it begins to increase speed and all is fine again. It has only happen twice, once on two different trips. I drive it to the tire shop the other night it run great.

Any thoughts??? I read in another topic about losing top end being the fuel filter, could this also be the case?

Glen

Your transmission display shows both the desired and the actual gear engaged. What do the 2 windows show when this happens.?

I have do gear display I have the 4 speed with a Manual gear shifter. 

It runs great, just those two times. However I have only taken 3 trip with it. So it has happen 2 out of 3 trips.

The first thing I would do is go and buy two sets of fuel filters if you don't already have them and change both filters. Carry the second set as spares. You might also get a spare sediment bowl as a spare, because it could be broken when you change it out in the boonies. I fill the filters with a clean grade of kerosene (obtained at Lowe's). If you have a hand pump on the engine then that might be used instead. My previous MH had the 5.9 Cummins also and a pump, but I always filled the filters any way. Last year (I now have a CAT) I had my filter (yes I now only have one filter) replaced at maintenance time, but it needed it again a couple of months later when going up Mount Eagle, TN. I changed it in the campground in Nashville. They weren't very happy about that ;D but the engine ran perfect and has ever since.

Wayne

Thanks guys after reading the other post I hoped thats all it was. I change them and let you know.

porscheracer said:
Do you have, and use, an exhaust brake??  Your symptoms also mimic a stuck exhaust brake actuator.
Yes I do, and I keep it on all the time.

You might want to inspect / clean the actuator.  The fact that it occurs after a stop (and therefore use of the brake) and clears up rather suddenly raises my suspicion.  Alternately, you might try turning the engine brake off for a while and see if the problem disappears before you go to the trouble to service it - although it probably needs servicing, if it hasn't been done recently.

Fuel filter problems usually - but not always - manifest themselves under long term loads.

porscheracer said:
Fuel filter problems usually - but not always - manifest themselves under long term loads.

Had a very similar experience on the maiden trip of our new-to-us sailboat.  By the time we were close to our home marina (about a 24 hour trip as I recall) the diesel would not run above about 1200 rpm - it would sputter and miss.  My first maintenance item after we were safely tied up was to figure out the engine problem - I found the primary fuel filter totally gooed-up - it was a wonder the engine ran at all.  (Obviously I should have changed out the filter before we left.)

I installed a new (and large) Racor filter with a vacuum gauge on the filter housing so I could tell when it was getting time for a filter change.

When it happens the engine is still smooth just no power, let the turbo is no going. The E brake makes sense. However I need a clean start so I'm going to get all the belts, hoses and filters changed. flush all the fluids, and now have the Ebrake serviced.

I just install new tires.  Changed all the brass inside to nickel (still working on all that). Put new gas jacks on all the doors and bed. Got my wife a 06 CRV for the Toad. Order the blue ox tow plate, wiring and bar. (will install next week, wife is away) Then I'll put it in the shop for a good clean start!!

I'm bleeding money.....sure stop soon. Next just fun upgrade. Oh I did just get my WIFI antenna in the mail yesterday. Install this weekend.

Follow up: Put the rig in the shop for service. Checking the belts and hoses, changing all the filters and having the Genset serviced. Then I get a call from the shop with the news that I have a cracked exhaust manifold!! Not just a crack but it is broke in two!! Luck for me they had one in stock. They broke 3 studs getting it off, however then were able to get them out. With the cracked exhaust manifold I'm sure the exhaust brake was not able to open like it should. I also I'm having the trans fuild and filters changed. I pick it up tomorrow and we leave the next day for a weekend trip. I should have allot more power now.

Check the hose connections on the aftercooler of the turbo. A friend had the same problem and one of his hoses was lose. Either a plugged fuel filter or leaking engine pressurized air intake system will cause the problem you described.

Chet

RV Roamer said:
Sounds expensive, but you should be in good shape when they finish.
Enjoy your trip!

Yes it was!!! But it's running good I cann't wait to get on the road in the morning. It will be our first time towing the CRV.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom