Bathroom Remodel...Need HELP Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STGAL

We just bought this 5th wheel about a month ago. We have already completed several upgrades. The next project we are really worried that we maybe getting in over our heads. It must of had a crack in the tub and the people that had it before us used some kind of something to seal it and it looks HORRIBLE! We want to remove the tub/shower and just make into a shower. We want to use cermaic tile on the entire remodel. We have this trailer in storage and only moved when we request it. And it is only moved a little bit! Do any of you have any ideas or any suggestions? Any comments will be greatly appericated!

Thank you
Gal

I see everyone reading my post. But no replies. It doesn't matter to us if you think this will be a bad idea. Just give us some feedback PLEASE!

Thank you ;)

I don't believe using ceramic tile would be a great idea due to the weight and possibility of it coming off during a move.  You might want to try  the salvage places listed under resources HERE and look for a RV shower enclosure. 

The shower enclosure we have in our MH is one piece and is the same one or an almost exact copy of the one we have in the stick house.  If you can get one into the RV, that could be a way to go with a lot less weight etc.

Can't really address your specific issue, but I do have one comment.  Don't even think of trying to remove your current tub/shower until you know you have a replacement of the same size.  Most RV manufacturers have different sizes and shapes of tubs and/or showers and there's a good chance you may not be able to find a replacement that will fit as it should.  In fact, now that I think about it, maybe that's why the previous owners did what they did.  The last time we were RV shopping we liked one shower in one motorhome better than the one that came standard in the MH we liked.  They looked like they were the same size but when Jerry got a tape measure we quickly discovered it would not be a likely changeover.

ArdraF

Tubs and showers are in most cases easy to do.  Just plan ahead!!  Just pick up the shower or tub you want at a trailer supply or home supply store.  Instead of buying tile, use tile board.  It looks like tile, comes in 4x8 sheets and its easy to use.  Should not be to bad a job if you can handle some sweat and maybe a few words or two!!  Just my thoughts and yes, I've done a couple.

Consider contacting your local residential bath fixture supplier about repairing it.  My brother-in-law is a contractor and has had cases where he has damaged the fiberglass tubs from tool drops.  He has had them repaired and has commented that it was hard to see the repair.  I have not seen a repaired tub, thou knowing how fussy he is trust his opinion.  A good repair might be more economical than finding suitable sized units and replacing everything.

I've had three fiberglass/acrylic tubs and one shower pan repaired over the past couple of years. All performed by specific repair contractors.  The repairs were seamless and virtually invisible.  The only issue is that repaired tubs/pans should not be cleaned with any abrasive type cleaner.  The shower pan repair was about $200 but still quite a bit cheaper and less mess than the alternative.  Check your local Yellow Pages under 'tub / shower repair'.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

BT

Here is my though your 5er is going to flex by design it is supposed to so that said the first time it dose this its going to crack your nice tile job. Like Ron said keep us posted and take pics of your work to share. Good luck on the project.

It is true that a good repair tech can repair your tub to a new look.  I had one that forklift had punched a hole in repaired and never was able to see the repair after it was finished.
If you want a shower only, I believe you can replace the tub.  First you need to locate one.  Then decide if you can handle the job.
I am working on a project for myself which needs a shower.  It's not easy to find one though.  I need one to go in the rear corner of an 20 foot Argosy trailer (made by Airstream).
Good Luck on your endeavors.

Acrylic or whatever bath fixtures can be fixed with no visible signs as others here have said by those in the know, as they have the right tools, paste?, etc. and can match color perfectly.  In our old farmhouse, we had one crack and after repair I could not tell where it was.

However, if you really want to replace the tub, check to make sure you can get it out the doors first and a new one in.

I "think" these bathroom fixtures are usually put in by the manufacturer BEFORE the walls are put on, so that makes it really easy to put them in place.  I am mentally trying to visualize your getting the old one out through the bathroom door and then out the entrance door, perhaps going around corner configurations of the RV.  Maybe in small pieces, but then getting a whole new one in??????

Daisy :-\

Don't know if this is relevant or not, but we had a "fibreglass" tub turned into a walk-in for my mom who was not able to step over the tub.  The job was done by a local franchise of "American Refinishers".  Most people who looked could not tell that it had not been factory-made that way.  We paid much more for a custom glass enclosure and door than the cost of the fiber glass work.  They even told us to keep the cut-out so that if anyone in the future wanted it restored to a conventional tub they could use that piece.

Doug

pics of new shower

Attachments

• Resize of Picture 006.jpg
    Resize of Picture 006.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 322
  • Resize of Picture 007.jpg
    Resize of Picture 007.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 287
  • Resize of Picture 009.jpg
    Resize of Picture 009.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 296
  • Resize of Picture 010.jpg
    Resize of Picture 010.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 307
Glad you got it figured out, and thanks for the photos.

For future reference, the maximum file size limitation is displayed on the upload screen.

I really like the nice work, can you perhaps tells us what you eventually used? It looks like the tile board but the shots are a little small to really be sure.

Is there still more work to do or else what's the Duct tape on the edge for?

all the duct tape is is holding the molding in place til the liquid nail held.......yes on the floor and walls..we used moisture resistant wall board. i used 1/2" wall board on the floor and 1/4" on the walls. we had to frame the floor first before we could put the 1/2" board down. the floor of the shower is a total of 1 3/8" thick. we used construction strength liquid nail for the tiles on the walls and motar on the floor.other than grout thats bout all i did.....if you have anymore questions please ask....i'll do my best to answer.

Many thanks for the responses. I am thinking seriously of doing similar work in our home bathroom and I am leaning towards the tile board for the looks and simplicity of shaping and fixing. SWMBO on the other hand thinks that ceramic tiles are not all that much different in cost from tile board and wants to go that way.

At least in the home we don't have the problems of movement and flexing of the structure so we still have a choice ;)

STGAL said:
all the duct tape is is holding the molding in place til the liquid nail held.......yes on the floor and walls..we used moisture resistant wall board. i used 1/2" wall board on the floor and 1/4" on the walls. we had to frame the floor first before we could put the 1/2" board down. the floor of the shower is a total of 1 3/8" thick. we used construction strength liquid nail for the tiles on the walls and motar on the floor.other than grout thats bout all i did.....if you have anymore questions please ask....i'll do my best to answer.

Nice job on the Tile-board!...Did you change out the shower body during your renovation?

Back
Top Bottom