Hopkins Tire Pressure Monitoring System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Richard,

I see you already got an answer about the pictures you asked for. He has done a much better job then I could so I hope that is what you were looking for.

Jerry

RV Roamer said:
I have no experience with Hopkin TPMS but read through the manual and it certainly seems like it would be a good system to own, especially if you had multiple vehicles - the portability features are excellent.

It looks as though the wheel sensors may be the same as what Pressure Pro uses. I know that PP sells their sensors to another company for use in an integrated TPMS system, so it looks like Hopkins may be another customer for sensors only.

I might just find out for sure. They only cost about $29.00  more than the six sensors they come with, as shown here.

I have a half dozen other vehicles besides the RV, even more if my several motorcycles count, where I am thinking about buying one of these. So perhaps a more portable unit than the Pressure Pro will be handy. But I am very happy with the PP system as a permanent installation in the RV.

-Don-  South San Francisco, CA

RV Roamer said:
It looks as though the wheel sensors may be the same as what Pressure Pro uses.

I just compared a photo closeup of the Hopkins sensors shown here with my Pressure Pro sensors. There's an obvious difference in the top of the case. I assume if they go as far as to make the case different, they may also use incompatible digital codes or whatever even if they both do come from the same place. My guess now (and just a guess) is that the Hopkins sensors are not compatible with the Pressure Pro System.

-Don- South SF, CA

Even if they are the same physical PP sensor, they would indeed have different digital codes and such. I know that to be true on the R5000 system that uses PP sensors (they are electronically incompatible) and see no reason why PP would do anything different for another use.

Since Don took a closer look than I at the physical appearance, I'll assume he is correct and that they are merely similar rather than identical.

Information regarding the TST TPMS, courtesy of a member from another RV forum, with a link to his installation. (http://www.tsttruck.com/Product_List.html)

I installed the TST system several months ago. TST is a sponsor of the Newmar forum on irv2.

I installed eleven sensors-- Seven on the coach (I have a mounted spare) and four on the toad. I had steel valve stems put on the toad (recommended) and rebalanced all the wheels on the toad. The motorhome has steel valve stems and Equal (balancing media) in its tires. I just plug the unit into a power outlet on the dash board.

I installed an extra repeater antenna underneath the coach to ensure positive transmission of the toads signals. I recommend this. I can even read the toads tire pressures and temperatures in the garage at home with the garage door down.

I've only made a two hour (each way) trip so far. The system works as advertised and I am tickled with the data I now receive.

I got very interested in the TST system because it provides tire air temperature readings. The tires are in very close proximity to my brake calipers. My Workhorse chassis has a history of the Bosch brake calipers hanging up. I'm hoping that an abnormal tire air temperature rise would give me an early warning of an impending catastrophic caliper failure.

I can set the exact pressure and temperature parameters for each axle-- no percentages involved.

The system comes with two cute little locking tools for the sensors to the valve stems.

You will get an immediate alarm (both a red light and an audible signal) if any parameter is exceeded. The sensors report in routinely about every five minutes.

Battery life in the sensors is five years. You must send them in for renewal/exchange. Twenty five dollars per sensor.

I'll be reporting in on my progress with this system after my annual trip to Maine. It will be my first major trip this year--- in May.

If anyone is interested you can see the complete install here.

Good luck to you folks looking at similar systems,

Does the Hopkins TPMS require metal valve stems or can the rubber ones work.  I haven't read anything in the literature that it requires the metal valve stem.  If anyone has one I would appreciate your experiences.

I have a fifth wheel.

Thanks,

Bill T

threeful said:
Does the Hopkins TPMS require metal valve stems or can the rubber ones work.  I haven't read anything in the literature that it requires the metal valve stem.  If anyone has one I would appreciate your experiences.

Bill T

The reason for the metal stem is the strength and stability over a rubber stem. You have a greater chance of stem failure with the rubber stems. In addition, many of the rubber stems come with Chinese core valves which have had a very high failure rate. Don't know how Hopkins handles it but PressurePro strongly recommends metal stems.

I have just installed the TST system. I saved $200 over the other systems which helped but I also liked the small monitor, the fact I could set my own temperature and HI and Lo pressure warning settings.  Dan Covington at TST was great to work with.The others seems to have a 10% variance built in but for me being a numbers dummy, I figured 10% of 100psi  on the MH was a whole lot different than 10% of 35 psi on the toad.

The tool to install the sensors is very easy to use. But the more I think about the sensors , what good are they to anyone who might steal them????? There is a code on them but once you enter that code in the monitor  and remove the paper code from the sensor they'd need a world class code reader to determine the code if they stole it. I made a schematic of the wheels with each code and filed 3 copies in various hiding places I know I will never remember where they are.....

My MH has metal valve stems with mesh extensions and as long as the extensions are securely mounted to the hub no problems there. I did change the rubber stems from the car to hi pressure stems and then had the wheels rebalanced with the sensors on!!.

Bernie D

Thank you for responding.  I read where the Pressure Pro required metal stems but couldn't find any like requirement for the Hopkins.  The metal certainly should be stronger but I didn't want to get into the expense of changing to metal valves for eight tires if I didn't have to and not affect the warranty.  That's why I was wondering if others had some experience.

I even sent an e-mail to Hopkins but got no response. 

Bill T 

I purchased the Hawkshead unit for $399 with 10 sensors. The thing I liked about it was it is cheaper, has rechargeable batteries, replaceable batteries on the sensors, measures temperature as well as pressure. It can handle as many as 22 sensors. I haven't received it yet but I hope it works as well as some of the testimonials I've seen.

I have been using the TST system for about a month and it already paid for itself ($299 for 6 tires, free shipping). I woke up one morning and started the rig up and one tire had lost 25 pounds overnight. I used the on board compressor to refill the tire and headed for a tire store ten miles away. I got there without incident and they replaced a leaky valve stem for $53. I already had metal valve stems but they have a rubber gasket at the base and that is where they leaked. I am very happy with the TST system, although the manual leaves a lot to be desired, but one quick call to customer service answered all my questions. It does take a few minutes for it to read all the tires. I don't have the repeater. But once it reads them it keeps updating them continuously. I just hard wired it and installed it in a nice little spot on the dash. It is easy to read even though the monitor is very small. No problem installing it on Alcoa aluminum wheels.

slovewell said:
I purchased the Hawkshead unit for $399 with 10 sensors. The thing I liked about it was it is cheaper, has rechargeable batteries, replaceable batteries on the sensors, measures temperature as well as pressure. It can handle as many as 22 sensors. I haven't received it yet but I hope it works as well as some of the testimonials I've seen.

After you install them, please let us know how long the batteries last on a charge, what's involved in recharging and how long the batteries are expected to last before they need to be replaced.

The monitoring unit has the rechargeable battery that will supposedly last 192 hours on a charge (I think that is what they claim). You just use the included cigarette lighter charger to recharge it. They made the unit portable so you can take it to each wheel and see the pressure and temperature while inspecting the tires. The sensors use watch batteries that are easily replaceable. They claim they can last up to five years with moderate use. The monitoring unit is about the size of a palm pilot but has a nice bright display. I like the holder it came with. It will Mount on the dash and is adjustable for different angles. The unit comes with 10 sensors for $399 and can handle up to 22. I just got it last night, so I haven't had a chance to install it. I do like the way the sensors communicate with the Monitoring unit. You screw on the sensor and then choose that wheel and tell it to find it. There are no numbers to install or codes to enter. I, also, bought a booster because my coach is 39 ft long. They offer two types, one that uses AA batteries and one that can be hard wired. I chose the battery type because I can hide it in the bedroom somewhere. It was $79, but  I felt I probably would need it to reach the car on the dolly. I don't want to sound like a salesman yet, until I get it installed and working, but it looks pretty easy from the instructions. I appreciate the feed back in the forums because users give a different perspective that is more valuable to me.

slovewell said:
The monitoring unit has the rechargeable battery that will supposedly last 192 hours on a charge (I think that is what they claim). You just use the included cigarette lighter charger to recharge it. They made the unit portable so you can take it to each wheel and see the pressure and temperature while inspecting the tires. The sensors use watch batteries that are easily replaceable. They claim they can last up to five years with moderate use. The monitoring unit is about the size of a palm pilot but has a nice bright display. I like the holder it came with. It will Mount on the dash and is adjustable for different angles. The unit comes with 10 sensors for $399 and can handle up to 22. I just got it last night, so I haven't had a chance to install it. I do like the way the sensors communicate with the Monitoring unit. You screw on the sensor and then choose that wheel and tell it to find it. There are no numbers to install or codes to enter. I, also, bought a booster because my coach is 39 ft long. They offer two types, one that uses AA batteries and one that can be hard wired. I chose the battery type because I can hide it in the bedroom somewhere. It was $79, but  I felt I probably would need it to reach the car on the dolly. I don't want to sound like a salesman yet, until I get it installed and working, but it looks pretty easy from the instructions. I appreciate the feed back in the forums because users give a different perspective that is more valuable to me.

Slovewell, I am interested in this system, any more you can add yet? Thanks in advance!

I have just purchased a TPM system and find it works as advertised and has the advantages noted above. The single problem I have found is difficulty in installing to the outside dual (valve stem inside) with the tool (won't fit with the sender properly aligned with the stem - metal stem, 19.5-inch tires). It will easily fit w/o the tool so I'm going to inhibit the free turning (glue it into one piece, probably voiding warranty) so it can be installed. As for the security with the tool; a thin set of water pump pliers would easily remove the unit where it is accessible. Probably a 13 mm wrench would do the same.

Ernie

'06 Georgie Boy Pursuit

Okay, put me in the 'I bought one, too' catagory. I went with the Truck System Technologies (TST); shipped at no additional charge for $299 for the six-sensor system. I haven't installed it yet, as I'm sorting out the best way to deal with my existing tire extensions but look forward to testing it.

FYI on the Pressure Pro System. 

We had 2 sensors that were bad and PP replaced them.  In the package, it stated that if you mount the "brass" sensor onto metal stems that you need to either put Teflon tape or a drop of oil on before installing the sensor.  Apparently the brass was reacting with the steel and causing some problems.  You could also avoid the problem by removing the sensor and then immediately replacing it once a month.

Marsha~

On our truck, I use anti-seize compound on the threads, per Pressure Pro instructions.

it stated that if you mount the "brass" sensor onto metal stems that you need to either put Teflon tape or a drop of oil on before installing the sensor.

Marsha and others
The problem is with the brass PP sensor on ALUMINUM valve stems which are used with some factory installed tire pressure systems. There is no problem with the more usual steel or brass valve stems.

Here is the note that now appears in the PP manuals:

NOTE: When installing Sensors on vehicles with existing tire pressure
monitoring sensors or aluminum valve stems: PressurePro uses a brass thread and
brass and aluminum can chemically bond with exposure to salts and chemicals.
When installing PressurePro Sensors on these aluminum stems, do the following:
1) put a drop of oil on the threads of the stems; 2) put Teflon tape on the
stem; 3) remove Sensors at least once per month to help prevent bonding.

Back
Top Bottom