Any experience towing a 2005 Malibu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charley599

Hi:
We're looking at purchasing a new tow vehicle and are contemplating a 2005 Malibu. Anyone have any experiences to share? Don't do off-road so not really interested in 4-wheel drive vehicle. Prefer a sedan and not impressed with Saturn Ion.
Thanks for any input.

Charley

We bought a Malibu in about '98 because it was one of the only cars you could tow on the ground without the miles adding to the odometer.  It was great. I drove it to about 125,000 miles and sold it to a kid who has put on another 50,000.

(You were supposed to start the engine every so many miles while towing and, one time, my husband started it up at a rest area, we traveled another few hours and, at next rest area, found the car was still running! He was forgetful even then...)

One of the best place for towing information is REMCO,  I do not know about the 2005 Malibu, (My daughter has one but alas, I've not read it's manuals, The one time she towed it she trailered it (U-Haul trailer) Detroit to Las Vegas)

However if, like my car, it's designed so it can not be towed 4-down.. Remco can fix that for you for around 500-700 (parts/parts +install)

They have multiple solutions.. I opted for an axel disconnect on my car.  (They suggested a lube pump) Pumps can fail, Axel disconnects... Much harder to make fail, baring user forgetfullness that is

I have seen several people towing Mailbus (standard sedan or Mailbu Maxx) here at the campground where we are working this summer.  Only have to remove a fuse or two for towing - no drive disconnect or extra pumps required.  I have not heard of any problems with them.  It's  fairly light weight vehicle, too (3100-3400 lbs), so well suited for towing by motorhomes with a relatively low GCWR or 4000 lb hitches.

Thanks for all the info, folks. It's reassuring to hear from others. If and when we make the big decision, I'll let you know how it works out.

Charley

Back
Top Bottom