How do you keep mice away?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmith29

New to this site (and to owning my own RV) and I wasn't sure if anyone had some best practices as to how to prevent mice from getting into my RV as I have to store it away from my home and cannot monitor it.  Any ideas?

Like this :)

Attachments

• cat-picture-full.jpg
    cat-picture-full.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 37
But seriously....

Mothballs will work....but then you have to contend with the smell of mothballs when you take it out of storage.  Traps around the outside are most effective, but then you have to bait (and periodically empty) them.

Warfarin pellets if no other animals are going to be near or in the RV.  Don't put this stuff out with pets..

I have had issues in the past...  I had a mouse infestation and I used this repellent called Store it Right.  It is a pouch that has scents that mice don't like and it was safe to use around my family and my dog.  It worked out great!  Too bad my dog didn't keep the mice away...

I found the website for the pouch you talked about (www.northernexplorer.com) and I like that idea.  I didn't necessarily want to trap mice and have to deal with dead bodies, instead I would prefer to just keep them away. Thanks.

Firstly, do NOT use mothballs. Camphor (the chemical in them) is highly toxic to all living things. I use scented dryer sheets, placed in every cabinet and under the drawers. Supposedly, they are not harmful. I hope not. The "packs" mentioned may be of the same ingredient... I don't know. I have never had a rodent problem, so i don't know if the sheets work or not. lol You should [of course] search for openings. You can also have your rig leak tested. The test consists of filling the unit with a non-toxic, non staining, odor-free "smoke" and pressurizing it to look for smoke escaping. It is usually done to look for potential areas of air and water leaks. If you have access to a "manhole" type (confined-space)  [fresh air] blower, you can purchase the "smoke" from any HVAC supplier and do the test yourself. You only need a sheet-metal duct adapter to go from the round tube to the square roof vent.

i use dryer sheets as well, i probably go overboard, i use about 2 boxes. So far, no mice(2yrs.) and my camper allways smells nice.

The only sure way keep them out and get rid of them once you have them is to set traps. The old snap traps baited with peanut butter work best but you have to check and re-bait them constantly.

If you're going to leave the camper unattended for an extended period put a few inches of antifreeze in a 5 gallon bucket, suspend a coffee can from a coat hanger through the ends, across the top of the bucket, put a few globs of peanut butter on the outside of coffee can, and then lay a stick against the outside of the bucket to the floor. Mice will run up the stick to the top of the bucket, jump onto the coffee can to get the peanut butter, the coffee can spins on the coat hanger and the mice fall into the antifreeze where they get preserved by the antifreeze. No smell, no mess, just dump the antifreeze every few months. Here's a video of one in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jezQKOl5q-w

I use a rodent deterrent system. in fact a pair of 'em.  Amber and Alex,  Though in truth they keep inviting the mice to drop in for lunch,

Alas the mice seem reluctant to come for lunch when the one issuing the invitation is a feline.

Don't know why.. Perhaps they don't like mouse tartar

bross said:
The only sure way keep them out and get rid of them once you have them is to set traps. The old snap traps baited with peanut butter work best but you have to check and re-bait them constantly.

If you're going to leave the camper unattended for an extended period put a few inches of antifreeze in a 5 gallon bucket, suspend a coffee can from a coat hanger through the ends, across the top of the bucket, put a few globs of peanut butter on the outside of coffee can, and then lay a stick against the outside of the bucket to the floor. Mice will run up the stick to the top of the bucket, jump onto the coffee can to get the peanut butter, the coffee can spins on the coat hanger and the mice fall into the antifreeze where they get preserved by the antifreeze. No smell, no mess, just dump the antifreeze every few months. Here's a video of one in action

Well that's just disgusting.
[edit]Removed video from quote.[/edit]

One of the best things to do to keep mice from coming in, is to remove all food stuffs.  Canned goods are fine, but things that mice can get into like rice, crackers, cereal that sort of stuff just invites mice to come into the coach.  Our coach is in storage also, and we removed everything that the mice might like.

I also use dryer sheets, specifically "bounce" and stuff them in and around holes where the mice might come in. 

So far not one mouse.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
One of the best things to do to keep mice from coming in, is to remove all food stuffs.  Canned goods are fine, but things that mice can get into like rice, crackers, cereal that sort of stuff just invites mice to come into the coach.   Our coach is in storage also, and we removed everything that the mice might like.

I also use dryer sheets, specifically "bounce" and stuff them in and around holes where the mice might come in. 

So far not one mouse.

Marsha~
but for those who have young children, the only way to get the crumbs out is to burn the camper.... lol It seems that they are very adept at getting food-stuffs in impossible places.
Seriously though, I love the dryer sheets... its the best defense I think.

We use Irish Spring soap bars. Have used this for more than 6 years; seems to work and it has a very pleasant aroma.

Mariekie

How often during storage do you need to replace the dryer sheets with new ones?  The scent seems to fade.

Thanks,
JoAnn 

Back
Top Bottom