Two week trip to Grand Canyon, Tetons, Yellowstone ADVISE PLEASE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GeneRV

Hi Folks, a newbie here. My 4 kids are growing up and this will be the last chance we will have at this trip. Planned it once before but my young 40 year old wife was diagnosed with Leukemia one week before we were to leave and we almost lost her. That was 3 years ago. Since then we've been through a lot but by the grace of God and a bone marrow transplant we are still together and ready to try this trip again. I have an older RV. It's a 94 Alegro Bay 34' with a 460 gas motor. I am very capable and do all the mechanicals, it is quite sound and yet this will be the biggest trip we will have taken. Most amazing of all, we need to do it in two weeks and we live in Wisconsin!

The only window we have in our busy summer is second and third week of June so I need to get reservations in very soon. My thoughts were leave Wisconsin, head through Denver staying on 70 west to the Grand Canyon - the North Rim, then onto the Tetons and finally Yellowstone. We've already done South Dakota so would not stop there on the way back. I figure I have six solid days of nothing but driving. So here are my questions: How should we divide the remaining 7 to 8 days between the three parks? One at the Grand Canyon, 3 at Tetons and three at Yellowstone? I picked the North Rim because it is closer to Tetons. Is the North Rim as good and as accessable as the South Rim? In all of these travels, Are there some main roads / passes I should not take because of steep grades? Can I get around the Parks without pulling a car? There is six of us so it would mean pulling my 5600 lb van and would rather not.

Your prompt opinions are greatly appreciated!!!!

Gene

I am a full timer and I have lived in the National Parks for the last six years. You will really love this trip, you are hitting three of the best National Parks we have.

I would head south out of Wisconsin and pick up I-44 in St Louis and then get on I-40 at Oklahoma City and go to the south rim. There is a lot more to do on the south rim. The pass in Colorado goes to 11,000 feet and the pass on I-40 only goes to about 7000. I would do three days at the Grand Canyon, two days at the Tetons and three days at Yellowstone. You are picking a very good time of year, the snow is usually melted at Yellowstone by the end of June. The south rim of the Grand Canyon has a free shuttle service that will take you just about anywhere you want to go. You could park and stay parked the entire time you are there. Tetons and Yellowstone doesn't have a shuttle. I never get reservations for any national park I go to except Yosemite, but for you I would recommend getting them. At the Grand Canyon I prefer Mather Campground, at the Tetons I like the Jackson Lake campground and at Yellowstone I like Canyon campground the best.

If you go this route then when you leave the canyon you can get to I-15 in St George Utah and follow it to 89 just outside of Brigham City to get to the Tetons and Yellowstone.

You have a great trip planned, but the time window is a little tight. I'd suggest that you do the Tetons and YellowStone and leave the Grand Canyon until another occasion. The GC north rim is a good full day's drive farther south from the Tetons, so seeing it will add two more days driving on the trip. Whereas The Tetons and Yellowstone are adjacent to each other. We visited all three last year and if I had to choose two of the three, I'd drop the GC. The view there is spectacular, but that's all there is unless you are prepared some real strenuous hiking. 

When you do Yellowstone, consider either arriving or departing through the east side of the park and make a 1 day stop at Cody. The Buffalo Bill Museum there is well worth a visit.

Enjoy the trip with your family and don't spend the majority of the time driving.

Chet18013

Chet18013 said:
The view there is spectacular, but that's all there is unless you are prepared some real strenuous hiking. 
Boy did you miss out when you visited the Grand Canyon south rim. I spend several months there every year and there are a multitude of things to do there. Hike any part of the 12 mile rim trail and none of it is strenuous. Hike either the Bright Angel or the South Kaibab trail and it is a bit strenuous. There is the Hopi House, Vercamps, the Watchtower, the mule corral, plenty of ranger programs, a historical cemetery, the Imax movie, the train ride to Williams. The middle of June is when the Tucson Astronomical Society has a one week star party that is awesome, 60 telescopes set up for you to look through. But the best thing of all is the California Condors are flying almost every day right in front of the Bright Angel Lodge and come in real close and put on a spectacular show. There is an abundance of wildlife on the south rim including lots of birds, Desert Big horn sheep, elk, deer, bobcats and hummingbirds.

Actually I would think that a better trip would be 3 days at the Grand Canyon NP, three days at Zion NP and three days at Bryce Canyon NP. You would save a day of traveling and you could save the Tetons and Yellowstone for a different year.

seilerbird said:
Boy did you miss out when you visited the Grand Canyon south rim.

No, I didn't miss out. I tried to keep my comment within the context of a visit to the North Rim as posed in the original question. We have been to both the North and South rims. I agree with your comments about the abundance of activities at the South Rim, many of which we have enjoyed. At the North Rim the view, the ranger programs and the hiking were the attractions we found. We were not fortunate enough to see much wildlife in the two days we were at the North Rim last spring--just a week after the road had been opened.

Chet18013

I would do Grand Canyon/Zion/Bryce or Yellowstone & Teton, but not try to mix the two regions. Too far apart for a short trip like this.  And I agree with Chet: unless you are a hiker, the Grand Canyon North Rim is an amazing view but little else.

I would also not want to do my Yellowstone touring in a 34 footer. Parking at many views are just turnouts or shoulder-of-the road and there are always others there ahead of you.  Even those attractions with parking areas are rather cramped. And many wildlife attractions are not fixed sites - animals appear wherever they feel like it and often not where somebody placed a big parking lot. Or any parking lot.

I agree with Tom that there's a LOT more to do at Grand Canyon than just the view at either rim (although I think the view alone is worth the visit). Grand Canyon North Rim is a fabulous place but it's a long drive in and then back out and to only spend one day there is sad.

I think Grand Canyon, Tetons, and Yellowstone in one trip means slighting one or the other of the parks. I'd go with Tetons and Yellowstone for the whole trip and do Grand Canyon on another trip with the Utah National Parks.

Whatever you do, enjoy your trip.
Wendy

I was in Yellowstone in a 32 footer last year and had no real problems seeing the sights. Whenever wildlife appears, like bears, buffalo or moose, there is usually a bear jam. People just park in the road and get out and take photos. Yellowstone is difficult to see in only one trip of a few days. It is over 2 million acres and all the attractions are really spread out. The Tetons are a small park and not much driving is necessary.

Like others have indicated the planned trip is just too ambitious for a two week trip which would mean missing a lot of things to see and enjoy as well as quality family time during the trip.  Break into two trips as Gary suggested Grand Canyon and Southern Utah for one trip and the Tetons and Yellowstone for another.  When visiting Yellowston do not miss going to Cody and the Buffalo Bill museum.  Also the most scenic highway in the USA North of Cody. 

You seem to be getting a consensus here:  either Yellowstone-Tetons or Grand Canyon.

If you do the Canyon make a circle starting at Grand Canyon South Rim, then Monument Valley, then Moab UT for Canyonlands NP+Arches NP, then Capitol Reef.

If you do Yelllowstone-Tetons then north to Glacier NP and the Canadian Parks. 

Either trip will use up two weeks with no time to spare.

I second what the others have said in terms of trying to do too many areas that are too far apart.  To put it in perspective, the Grand Canyon is in the southern U.S. while Yellowstone is in the northern U.S.  You probably wouldn't try to "do" Florida and New York in the same trip, so why try so much on this one?  I like Carl's idea of the Grand Circle in the Four Corners area.  There's so much to see there that we once spent an entire month doing it.  And, it's so very different from anything like you have in Wisconsin that your eyes will get tired trying to take it all in.  Yes, I love the Yellowstone area - it's beautiful - but it's Utah that we in the RV Forum go to year after year because it's so neat.  There are numerous national and state parks, not to mention tribal parks such as Monument Valley.

ArdraF

There are five national parks in Utah. Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches and Canyonlands. All are very different, all are overwhelmingly beautiful and all worth visiting. No chance of running into snow there in June, except maybe a bit a Bryce, but not very likely.

Ron said:
Like others have indicated the planned trip is just too ambitious for a two week trip which would mean missing a lot of things to see and enjoy as well as quality family time during the trip.  Break into two trips as Gary suggested Grand Canyon and Southern Utah for one trip and the Tetons and Yellowstone for another.  When visiting Yellowston do not miss going to Cody and the Buffalo Bill museum.  Also the most scenic highway in the USA North of Cody. 

Hi Folks, my internet has been down and I'm finally back. Wow, you all have been a weath of information and I have decided to listen to you! We will do the Tetons and Yellowstone only and hopefullt get to the Grand Canyon some other time. The reasons I wanted to include Grand Canyon is because we will be so far west already and my oldest child graduates next year and may be gone or have a job. I must say I am relieved at making this descision as I was afraid of having to little time to relax and enjoy.

So, if I limit the trip to Tetons and Yellowstone, what points in the area are a must see and in what order should they be done? I would have the trip "build" saving the best portions for last but leaving enough time for them. I should be able to make it out there in two days but that first day there should be light and relaxing. Figuring two days of travel for the return trip, that leaves 10 days to split up in the West. Again, unless many of you felt strongly about pulling a car, I wouldn't. How much time at each place? Do I get camp spots at different locations every day in Yellowstone as the park is so big? If so, where? I've also heard that when you're going west from the Dakotas that there are two passes one of which is very steep? Your input is invailuable to me. Thank you for all your advice - you're help will make this trip unforgetable and enjoyable. My family deserves it after all we've been through. Gene

We did Yellowstone and the Tetons last year.  This was our second visit.  We stayed 4 nights at Fishing Bridge RV Park. It is the only full hookup campgrounds in Yellowstone. Facilities are good but cramped. BTW we arrived June 16 and there were still 2-4 ft show drifts, and they had 8" two days before we arrived It is centerally located and works out great to make day trips on the three loops.  BTW this park is operated by a consignee and they do not honor the Golden Age Passport.
As Ron mentioned, Cody WY with the Buffalo Bill Museums is well worth as day. We also spent 4 days in the Tetons. Stayed at Colter Bay Marina
which is also Full hookups.  There is a lot to see in t5his area also.  The year before we went to Grand canyon, Zion and Brice Canyon.  Spent 2 weeks and still did not see everything.

Tony

Gene, I think you'll have a much more enjoyable trip going to just Yellowstone & Tetons. Grand Canyon will always be there, waiting for your next trip. If you don't want to tow a car, you might consider renting a car for a couple of days while at Yellowstone. It would make wandering the park easier.

Wendy

Since it is your first visit I would recommend 6 days at Yellowstone and 4 days at the Tetons. I personally prefer the Tetons over Yellowstone but I am in the vast minority. You haven't mentioned if you want hookups or not. But I would stay at Mammoth or Canyon Campgrounds in Yellowstone. Both are located in the middle of the park. There is a whole lot of sights to be seen in Yellowstone and the park is over 2 million acres. As for the Tetons I would recommend the Jackson Lake Campground for all four days.

I would recommend taking at least two days and visit the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody and drive North of Cody to the Chief Joseph Highway to the Beartooth highway over to Red Lodge. MT have lunch in Red Lodge the return the same route or if time permits before returning back on Chief Joseph go on over to Cooke City then return to Cody on the Chief Joseph.  More scenic the Yellowstone.

I have never been to Cody, Ron. But this summer after I leave Yellowstone I am going to check it out as per your recommendation.

There is also another campground in Yellowstone called the "Madison".  It's in a good location.  You can make reservations; and some of the sites will accommodate a 30-36' motor home.  We've been through Yellowstone with our 36' DP towing a car and have not had any problems.  It might be a bit cold in June; but the animals will most likely be out. 

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
There is also another campground in Yellowstone called the "Madison".  It's in a good location.  You can make reservations; and some of the sites will accommodate a 30-36' motor home.  We've been through Yellowstone with our 36' DP towing a car and have not had any problems.  It might be a bit cold in June; but the animals will most likely be out. 

Marsha~

You are correct, Marsha. I meant to type Madison but Mammoth came out instead. Madison is much more centrally located and my 32 footer fit there real easy. At Mammoth they can handle 40 footers but it is not centrally located but the rates are cheaper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom