Two week trip to Grand Canyon, Tetons, Yellowstone ADVISE PLEASE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
seilerbird said:
I have never been to Cody, Ron. But this summer after I leave Yellowstone I am going to check it out as per your recommendation.

I am sure you will enjoy the trip.  I am not aware of anybody that disagrees with my comments regarding the scenic quality.

Ron said:
I would recommend taking at least two days and visit the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody and drive North of Cody to the Chief Joseph Highway to the Beartooth highway over to Red Lodge. MT have lunch in Red Lodge the return the same route or if time permits before returning back on Chief Joseph go on over to Cooke City then return to Cody on the Chief Joseph.  More scenic the Yellowstone.

I thougt I read somewhere that the Beartooth highway was tough?!

Ron - can my 39 footer make it over the pass? Could you please give me the route numbers instead of the highway names? My atlas doesn't show the highway names. Thanks.

seilerbird said:
Ron - can my 39 footer make it over the pass? Could you please give me the route numbers instead of the highway names? My atlas doesn't show the highway names. Thanks.

I do not recommend taking the RV over this route.  While I have seen some on the route I would never do it myself and I have heard some horror stories.  I feel it would be worth renting a car for the trip and much more enjoyable.  Take your camera.

Take highway 120 North out of Cody to Highway 296 or Chief Joseph Highway, to where it meets the Beartooth highway or highway 212 turn right at the intersection to go on 212 over the Beartooth to Red Lodge, MT.  To go to Cooke city turn left at this intersection.

GeneRV said:
I thought I read somewhere that the Beartooth highway was tough?!

The BT goes from around 4600 feet to over 10,000 feet in a few miles, 5 (I think) switchbacks up the side of a mountain.  It is a fair drive in a car and tough with an RV larger than a class B.  It is done but I do not recommend it.  If you want to do it, going up is better than down but still not recommended.  It is a wonderful drive.

Caution:  If you have breathing problems, think seriously about doing it as it can be life threatening and you may not have cell phone coverage as the area is remote.

James Godward said:
The BT goes from around 4600 feet to over 10,000 feet in a few miles, 5 (I think) switchbacks up the side of a mountain.  It is a fair drive in a car and tough with an RV larger than a class B.  It is done but I do not recommend it.  If you want to do it, going up is better than down but still not recommended.  It is a wonderful drive.

Caution:  If you have breathing problems, think seriously about doing it as it can be life threatening and you may not have cell phone coverage as the area is remote.

Thank you for this information. While I'm confident behind the wheel, I'm not as confident in my '94 rig. It's a single axle rear so I have oly two braking axles stopping 16000 lbs and and a gas motor with less torque than you diesel pushers have. I don't need the kind of stress you speak of on the Bear Tooth. Is that the only way to get to Cody without taking a much longer way around? Thanks, Gene

GeneRV said:
Thank you for this information. While I'm confident behind the wheel, I'm not as confident in my '94 rig. It's a single axle rear so I have oly two braking axles stopping 16000 lbs and and a gas motor with less torque than you diesel pushers have. I don't need the kind of stress you speak of on the Bear Tooth. Is that the only way to get to Cody without taking a much longer way around? Thanks, Gene

The Beartooth route suggested is North of Cody so you do not have to go over the Beartooth to get to Cody. 

You can easily spend two days at the Buffalo Bill Museum.  It's huge and there are three (or is it four?) distinct collections (Buffalo Bill, Indian, guns, Western art - think Remington).  We thought we'd be there a few hours but took two days.

ArdraF

GeneRV said:
Thank you for this information. While I'm confident behind the wheel, I'm not as confident in my '94 rig. It's a single axle rear so I have only two braking axles stopping 16000 lbs and and a gas motor with less torque than you diesel pushers have. I don't need the kind of stress you speak of on the Bear Tooth. Is that the only way to get to Cody without taking a much longer way around? Thanks, Gene

Gene,

What route do you plan to take to Yellowstone??  If I-94 to I-90 and then on to Yellowstone, come west all the way to Belgrade MT and then go south on MT 85 and US 191 to Yellowstone.  Then do Yellowstone and the Tetons and stop on Cody on the way out.  Do the Cody to Red Lodge and return from Cody.  The Best of both worlds.  If you can, bring the car as it will be a lot easier to do Yellowstone, Tetons, etc.  If not you can rent but if you do get advance reservations ad they will be expensive as there are lots of tourists that fly in to Bozeman, Billings, West Yellowstone, etc. and cars are in high demand most of the year.

There is 1 pass and a steep hill between Billings and Belgrade/Bozeman.  The hill is near Columbus MT and it has a rest stop near there.  The pass is between Livingston and Bozeman and the total altitude change is about 1500' with the last 1/2 mile the steepest going west.  There are several climbs along the way and in the parks but nothing that should stress either the driver or vehicle.  Watch the temperature and take them slowly and you will do fine.  IF you get to Belgrade, we are in the phone book and would enjoy meeting you IF we are home, we have some family events this summer elsewhere.

BTW, there is a world class museum in Bozeman if anyone is interested in dinosaurs

James Godward said:
Gene,

What route do you plan to take to Yellowstone??  If I-94 to I-90 and then on to Yellowstone, come west all the way to Belgrade MT and then go south on MT 85 and US 191 to Yellowstone.  Then do Yellowstone and the Tetons and stop on Cody on the way out.  Do the Cody to Red Lodge and return from Cody.  The Best of both worlds.  If you can, bring the car as it will be a lot easier to do Yellowstone, Tetons, etc.  If not you can rent but if you do get advance reservations ad they will be expensive as there are lots of tourists that fly in to Bozeman, Billings, West Yellowstone, etc. and cars are in high demand most of the year.

There is 1 pass and a steep hill between Billings and Belgrade/Bozeman.  The hill is near Columbus MT and it has a rest stop near there.  The pass is between Livingston and Bozeman and the total altitude change is about 1500' with the last 1/2 mile the steepest going west.  There are several climbs along the way and in the parks but nothing that should stress either the driver or vehicle.  Watch the temperature and take them slowly and you will do fine.  IF you get to Belgrade, we are in the phone book and would enjoy meeting you IF we are home, we have some family events this summer elsewhere.

BTW, there is a world class museum in Bozeman if anyone is interested in dinosaurs

We would not be coming across on 94 but instead on 90 as we are from southern Wisconsin. Once we cross into Wyoming, we have to get around the Bighorn Mountains by either going to the north to 14 or south to 16. Which of the two is easier? We probably won't make it into Montana but thanks for the offer.

GeneRV said:
We would not be coming across on 94 but instead on 90 as we are from southern Wisconsin. Once we cross into Wyoming, we have to get around the Bighorn Mountains by either going to the north to 14 or south to 16. Which of the two is easier? We probably won't make it into Montana but thanks for the offer.

OK, that works well for all that you have been talking about.  Come I-90 to Buffalo and take 16 to Worland and then over to Cody.  Cody is a good base for the Buffalo Bill museum and the Chief Joseph/ Beartooth highway.  Do the parks etc.  They have rodeos every night in Cody all summer long along with a lot of other stuff, a real tourist town.  Take the trolley in Cody, it is very worth while.  If you do go through Sheridan and 14 be sure it is NOT *14A* as that is a very tough drive with steep grades.  We have not been on I-90 for a long time but there are no passes till you get to western MT on it.  There are a few in Yellowstone between Old Faithful and West Thumb and between Canyon and Tower Junction.

I really recommend doing Yellowstone in a car if at all possible.

GeneRV said:

You do not want to even attempt crossing 14 or 14A just not a wise idea unless you like to go down OH MY GOD HILL which is appropriatly named.  Highway 16 is the better way to go. 16 to Greybull then 14 from Greybull to Cody.

Great information everyone. I've made the resevations for 6 days at Yellowstone and 4 days Tetons. Thank you for your help. I only have one problem to contend with. I just realized that my Honda Odyssey van will not fit my car dolly, I would have needed to install brakes on the dolly anyway. Renting a van will cost us almost 100 per day, I can't afford that either! So, we may end up doing the best we can with just the RV. Any other suggestions?

Gene

Could you rent a suitable car dolly from U-Haul?  While I have no experience renting a tow dolly it might be a option to look into.

Bicycles? Relax and suck up nature doing things within walking distance of the campground? Rent a smaller car for 1 or 2 days? Check local car rentals for lower rates?

Enjoy
Wendy

GeneRV said:
Great information everyone. I've made the resevations for 6 days at Yellowstone and 4 days Tetons. Thank you for your help. I only have one problem to contend with. I just realized that my Honda Odyssey van will not fit my car dolly, I would have needed to install brakes on the dolly anyway. Renting a van will cost us almost 100 per day, I can't afford that either! So, we may end up doing the best we can with just the RV. Any other suggestions?

Gene

I was in both parks last year for a few weeks in  32 footer and I had no problems with getting around. What are you interested in seeing while you are there? Birds, wildlife, scenic spots, history? Let us know so we can make some suggestions on places to go in both parks.

If you get to Old Faithful, be sure to stop by the visitor center and look me up.  I'll be workamping at the Yellowstone Assoc. Bookstore this summer.  This will be our first trip there, adn it will be a doozy!  May thru end of sept.  I expect we may see snow at both ends.

PancakeBill said:
If you get to Old Faithful, be sure to stop by the visitor center and look me up.  I'll be workamping at the Yellowstone Assoc. Bookstore this summer.  This will be our first trip there, adn it will be a doozy!  May thru end of sept.  I expect we may see snow at both ends.

And maybe in the middle too.  :)  Yellowstone can get snow any month of the year.  I have been there with snow in July and know of snow in August. 

Enjoy,

seilerbird said:
I was in both parks last year for a few weeks in  32 footer and I had no problems with getting around. What are you interested in seeing while you are there? Birds, wildlife, scenic spots, history? Let us know so we can make some suggestions on places to go in both parks.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! What are we interested in? Scenic spots and wildlife. Having four kids, they need to be constantly stimulated or they get bored, their ages are 11, 14, 15 and 17. Their size is why I would need a van and can't rent or pull a smaller car. I would be interested to hear what you all have to say about the parks. If there are areas that should be saved to be traveled by car, then I could limit the days I rent one. We went to South Dakota last year and did the whole trip with the RV only and loved it. I actually liked it a lot that way. My only concerns would be if there are steep grades, hairpin turns or tunnels that could be a problem with a 34 footer. Of course I would not want to block traffic either. Thank you once again! Gene

PancakeBill said:

We will definitely look you up!  ;D

Back
Top Bottom