Crazed Instrument Panel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meanderman

My dashboard's been providing more excitement that a Las Vegas strip show.  On startup, the Freightliner message center and alarm panels are normal until I place the coach in gear and release the brake.  The message center goes blank, and the alarm panel begins to cycle through all the lights; first clockwise, then counterclockwise.  This will go on for about 30 minutes or more while driving (everything seems to work, cruise, etc) then it will stabilize and return to normal.  The message center will remain blank for a longer period - last time an hour, then return to normal.  I realize that this is probably is a Freightliner replacement issue and have Gaffney service scheduled for May, but wondered if anyone had any ideas.  Thanks in advance!
Keith

Keith - oh boy!  I am racking my gray matter about this situation - I have heard about this problem before.  It might be a bad controller (Multi-Mode Data Controller), but I'm not certain.  You could call Freightliner and I'll bet the tech on the phone could tell you right away.

When you find out, please post the analysis/resolution so we can keep it for the record.

It could be as simple as a poor/bad ground connection on the panel electronics however for a problem like this I have two suggestions.

1: Hair tonic

2: Get ye to a Freightliner authorized service center and let them pull their hair out for a while.

This is probably caused by a defective MMDC-- ( Data combiner mfg by Medallion Instruments)--

You will also find that your odometer is not incrementing during the time the MMDC is malfunctioning--  The MMDC takes all the info from the engine ECC and processes it for the instrument panel and unfortunately the odometer information is stored in the MMDC rather than in the speedometer head-

You will not know of your odometer error unless you have a Silverleaf or other monitoring system or a service technician stumbles on it when he/she connects the diagnostic computer to it and they probably won't see it as they just go by the mileage reported by the ECC--

Not only that the replacement cost is around $360 and neither Medallion nor Freightliner will reprogram your odometer for the correct mileage--

The "good" news is that if you are handy you can touch up the solder connections on the MMDC board where the ten pin connector is mounted and carefully re-work the connectors so that you are sure they are making a good connection and the problem will very likely go away--

ReM

This is a common problem with boards that are wave soldered when the various components are of different physical size and present different heat loads.  The larger ones almost always have cold solder joints.  The old VDC/VDU had the same problems as well as the loose mounted pressure transducers that broke solder joints too.

Just an update for those who are interested - talked to FL today, they confirmed that it's more than likely that the 10-pin connector on the MMDC is bad.  Seems to be a common problem.  I'm going to try and find it & hit it with some contact cleaner, but in any case I'm sceduled for M3 in Gaffney in May so I'll get it fixed then.  Thanks for all the input.  Anybody have an idea where I can find the module? 
Keith

It usually in on the wall under the bed on the passengers side.  Check there and look for 2 air lines, one red, the other green that go to it.

An update on the instrument panel problem; I called Winnebago and they identified the location of the module - on my model it's in the main electrical compartment in front of the driver's wheel well.  After removing the screws and opening the panel, I could see the MMDC and the two connectors.  I removed the 10-pin connector (on the right), sprayed the connections (just small metal probes) with contact cleaner, and then firmly reseated.  I just finished a day's travel and everything works fine now.  This was a learning experience; if anything on the dash goes awry, it probably has it's roots in the MMDC 10-pin connector.  In my case, even the oil pressure gauge failed.  Although the dash is no longer as entertaining now, it's nice to have everything working!

Good show, Keith, it feels good to scratch something off the list, don't it? :D ;D

Back
Top Bottom