Wider RVs OK under bIVA; what about 60% overhang/ swing-out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DABurleigh

It is good that wider RVs will be permitted in the UK and that accessories such as awnings and handles will be excluded from the width measurement.

However, I do not see how this permits one to meet the 60% overhang limit in the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations, or the alternative swing-out constraints:
http://www.wheelbase.net/legislation-help-desk/vehicle-dimensions.html

Which, in my estimation, doesn't move us forwards in legalising many/most RVs on UK roads. What am I missing?

Dave

Hi Dave

The bIVA Manual gives a comprehensive listing of what is and isnt suitable for an M1 (motorhome) to be registered in the UK.

Manual HERE

It makes no reference to the concerns you raise.

VOSA, DfT, DVLA etc etc have all taken time to put this thing together and are obviously happy with the decisions and outcomes they've come to. They have taken a lot of things onboard when it comes to larger motorhomes and Im confident they arent going to let something like overhangs pass them by should they choose to make an issue of it.

Whether the issue of overhangs etc is covered in other Manuals for other vehicle types is not something Im interested in chasing.

Paul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom