Cat poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

seilerbird

About six months ago I bought my girlfriend a 2 month old kitty (TurboCat) and put a litter box in the motorhome. Sometimes the smell of poop was a over the top so I would have to spray it down with air freshener. I would empty the litter box every morning and replace the litter and scrub the inside of the box every two weeks.

After about two months I decided to change her diet (she is free fed dry food only) so I switched to another brand. My girlfriend laughed at me before I made the switch. Well the switch worked. The litter box does not have an aroma anymore and my girlfriend is in shock. I have not used air freshener since the switch.

I am not going to reveal the brands of cat food, because we were using a very expensive highly regarded cat food to begin with. I don't want to bad mouth that brand, since it is a question of finding the right cat food to match my cat's digestive system.

I thought I would post this since life has been much nicer as a full timer living in a small space with a cat.

btw - long before I bought the cat I posted a question on this forum about living with a cat in a motorhome and the response was very positive. Several posters recommended getting a kitty as young as possible. This is what I did and it was great advise. She really took to the motorhome right off the bat and thinks she owns the place (actually she does). She is a great traveler, loves being on the road. As soon as I start the engine and start rolling she curls up in her basket in between me and the girlfriend an sleeps. I have talked to many other cat owners with RVs and most tell me their cat doesn't travel so well. So thanks to everyone for the advise. I love this forum.

I see so many folks with Big and I mean BIG dogs in relatively SMALL motor homes or trailers.. A cat makes much more sense

They make odor controll litter, has chemicals in it (Chlorophyll mostly) that kills the odor (or baking soda)

I have always usede odor control kitty litter. The problem is it doesn't kill the odors for the first 15 minutes.

John what is an appropriate pet to take RVing is a matter of personal choice.  While we do not have one it would never be a cat but probably some lap dog like a Great Dane. ;D

I'm not a cat person, but I have been had by several dogs.

The current one is a Saarloose wolf hound (wolf Shepard mix).  He weighs about 70#s.  He's 12 years old and loves cats.  He thinks they taste like chicken. ;)

Actually he has never harmed another animal.....

Lou (onaquest) said:
I'm not a cat person, but I have been had by several dogs.

The current one is a Saarloose wolf hound (wolf Shepard mix).  He weighs about 70#s.  He's 12 years old and loves cats.  He thinks they taste like chicken. ;)

I have a sign that says consider cat, the alternative white meat. ;D

John In Detroit said:
I see so many folks with Big and I mean BIG dogs in relatively SMALL motor homes or trailers.. A cat makes much more sense

You are correct, John. A cat does make more sense. However, motorhomes don't make any sense at all in the first place.  ;D

Well.. Just cause dogs don't make sense to me don't mean they don't make sense to you.

As it happens. I'm more of a dog man myself, I'd rather have a dog  but that said, Cats fit this house better (till I got the motor home, but that is another story) and I think they fit Motor homes better too.  So we have cats and don't have to worry about cleaning up behind, or walking, the dog.

Actually I prefer dogs and parrots to cats, but my girlfriend is a cat person so in order to keep peace in the domaine I got her a cat. I am glad it is such a great cat.

We have a 16 year old cat who has always travelled with us. She has been to every state east of the Mississippi. She loves the fifth wheel, and travels in it while on the road. Like most cats, she hates to ride in a car or truck. As soon as she hears the diesel start, she jumps on the bed and snuggles under the covers. I riigged up a video cam (actually a wireless backup camera designed to fit above the license plate of a vehicle), so that we can keep a check on the inside of the trailer while we are driving, and see what Susie the Cat is doing. We have a truck-mounted generator, so on hot days we run the roof air in the trailer. A wireless remote thermometer with the display in the truck, allows us to keep an eye on the interior trailer temperature.

We keep a covered litter box in a customized compartment under the sink. This arrangement works well. We are away a total of three months a year, so taking Susie with us is a much better option than trying to find a cat sitter.

Our cats are fairly good about traveling too.. Now the move from the house to the motor home (all of 75 feet) they HATE. but once in the MH they seem quite happy.. For one thing our Queen likes to go exploring (She was a wild cat for her first 7 weeks) and we can not afford to let her out even attended here at home (Long story, but outdoor cats in this area DIE)  So we keep her indoors all the time.  When we travel she can go out,, on a leash

We have a leash and harness for our Turbo and she never goes outside unless she is wearing it. Since we move so often as full timers she never would have a chance to get used to the neighborhood.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbwrecker
Back
Top Bottom