weight on an rv roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stretch12

My husband wants to do the maintenance on our RV rubber roof, but he's afraid that his weight would damage the roof. Does anyone know what the max weight should be on a roof?

Well I have a few answers

1: I have no clue what the maximum is
2: It likely varies from Manufacturer to Manfacturer, model year to model year and model to model
3: At 330 pounds I am as comfortable walking on the roof of my Intruder as I can be 12 feet above the ground (I'm acrophobic)

The "Feeling" I get from my feet is that of a very solid floor.. IN fact there is a lot of "Wisdom" in that line,  because back when I was working as a tow truck dispatcher I'd come in to the office on Saturdays with a box of Spic and Span and mop the floor.

And that's exactly how I clean the roof. I go up there with a box of spic and span, mop and bucket, and I mop the roof, exactly as I did/do the floor

As John said it varies greatly depending on the age of your coach and the roof material.  Provide more information on that and you'll get better answers here.

Most motorhome roofs are made to be walked on - mine is just as solid as any floor in my home and I have no hesitations getting up there.  In fact I'm headed out in a few minutes to check out the solar panel & wiring.  ;)

stretch12 said:
My husband wants to do the maintenance on our RV rubber roof, but he's afraid that his weight would damage the roof. Does anyone know what the max weight should be on a roof?

Please advise make and year model of the RV.  Not all are the same.

The RV is a 1999 National Sea View 34 foot long.  Thanks for all the responses.

no jumping up and down is a good rule to follow.  I would worry more about falling off not thru . if he feels like the roof is weak maybe you should go up instead if you a smaller than your hubby

I haven't heard of the Seabreeze having a weak roof.  Actually the only one I can recall is one of the later Wonder Lodges.

I have no problem walking all over my roof on my Gulf Stream.  However, I stick to the ladder and my hands and knees on my Fleetwood as the roof is soft in spots.  I am much less than 3230 pounds...

It shouldn't be an issue unless the roof has sustained some type of damage....like a prolonged water leak.  If you're really concerned, put a standard 4X8 piece of 1/2" plywood on the roof and walk on it.  That will disperse the weight of his feet across a wider surface area, thus minimizing any risk.

I go up on my roof once a year to inspect, wash and condition it. just one thing I watch for now is bees they like to build nests in your air conditioner housing. Be ready take a can of bee spray with you and be carefull that roof is slippery when wet. Look for loose and missing or cracked caulk and check the membrane its self for cracks. There are articles in the library on fixing the roof. Good luck and again. Be carefull!!

Because of what I heard about rubber roofs, I had mine made with a fiberglass roof. I'm 270 and when I get on the roof, I hear slight crinkling noises. Is this normal? I see no cracks, but, I go topside sparingly.

It is the fiberglass against the plywood making the noise.  Just take your time fiberglass can crack if you walk on it hard.

Scott,

The older "rubber" roofs had problems with, calking, streaking, spotting with mildew or oil stains, etc.  The newer ones have a hard surface and are a totally different animal.  We had a '94 SeaBreeze and I cussed that roof frequently but the one on the Dutch star is the new hard surface one, called "Brite-Tec"?, and is great.  Easy to maintain, little or no streaking and I prefer it to the fiber glass ones.  Just my opinion though.

Scott,

I also heard about tree branches tearing the old style rubber roofs.  Hope they've overcome that problem.

ArdraF

Very interesting info!  I have what's probably a "typical" rubber roof that I've reinforced with Eternabond, and everything has been fine so far.  Hopefully it will stay that way.

With a rubber roof maintenance is the key to making it last. keeping it conditioned and checking regularly for loose or missing caulk or cracks in the caulk or the rubber its self. If you do see a problem fixing it right away is key.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom