Hughes proposed free uptate to 7000s from basic 7000.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZuniJayne

Greetings, all!

I just recieved an email offer to up grade my old basic Hughes 7000 to a 7000s.  The upgrade is "free" but requires an additional year contract.  I realize if I change to the 9000 my mobile Hughes internet days are over. They said my old 7000 was discontinued and slower than the new sytem.

I may bite for another year on the contract but only if the benefits fot the newer modem outweigh the older one. The new system MUST be mobile.

Any comments from y'all?

TIA

Jayne

The HN7000s can be used in a mobile installation.  I doubt you'll see any difference in service but it lets HughesNet make more efficient use of their bandwidth.  The DW7000 is no longer available from HN but it's still usable.  I don't see any good reason to change the modem unless you just have to have the latest.

You're correct that the 9000 will not work in a mobile system, it uses spot beams.

The problem with the 7000 is that Hughes is probably limiting it to only a few transponders on a few satellites now, or in the future as the 7000S rolls out in greater numbers.  If you are happy with your current setup, no reason to change.  I think I remember reading on Datastormusers forum the 7000S has an improved compression scheme which is more efficient and doesn't use as much satellite bandwidth.  This is a huge advantage for Hughes since they can load up a satellite to a higher degree than before.  A benefit for you - if there is I'll bet it is marginal.

John
-----------------------------------
127W - 1390 and a HN7000

The only benefit to the 7000s is to HN.  Putting more users on a transponder just makes it more likely the customer will suffer from poorer service, or at best, no change.

As others have mentioned the Hughes gets benefits of the 7000s over the 7000.  No real benefit to the user other than you will have almost the latest and greatest.  You are correct the 9000 CANNOT be used mobil.

Thanks, guys.  You have confirmed my thoughts on this.  My 7000 works fine and I'll keep it for now.  I don't need the latest and greatest.  And I'm getting better at setup.  Only took me a half hour last time!

Back
Top Bottom