where do I find the weight on a 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpcmbw

Just inherited a 5th wheel. All I really know about it is that it's made by Salem and it's 28 or 29 foot. I'm trying to decide what I'll need to tow it with and it seems the most important thing is the weight. Where would I find the weight? What other info will I need?

I'm considering getting a v8 toyota 1/2 ton pickup (extended cab and 4x4) to tow it with, but am told I may need a 3/4 ton truck depending on weight.

I'll be going over to check out the trailer next week. It's currently stored about 30 minutes away.

Thanks for any ideas.

The weight of the trailer should be in one of two places, maybe both.  It should be on a tag attached to the front left side of the trailer (driver's side) on the outside, somewhere along the bottom edge of the trailer.  It could also be on a sticker inside one of the cabinets of the trailer, most commonly above the stove or sink.  What you are looking for is the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating), not the UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight).

Now, whether or not you "can" pull it with a Tundra (if the GVWR is within the range of the Tundra), I would highly recommend a 3/4 ton anyway.  I suspect that trailer may be on the light side as 5th wheels go, but still will undoubtedly be too much for a Tundra, especially going with a 4X4 and extended cab.  The pin weight alone will likely tax the rear-end of a Tundra to its max, if not overtax it.  But let's get the weights first and go from there.

edjunior said:
Now, whether or not you "can" pull it with a Tundra (if the GVWR is within the range of the Tundra), I would highly recommend a 3/4 ton anyway.  I suspect that trailer may be on the light side as 5th wheels go, but still will undoubtedly be too much for a Tundra, especially going with a 4X4 and extended cab.  The pin weight alone will likely tax the rear-end of a Tundra to its max, if not overtax it.  But let's get the weights first and go from there.

I agree. Also it's not only if you can "Pull It", which I'm sure you can at a cost of wear & tear on the vehicle. To me the most important item is, It's "Can You Stop It?" JMHO

The max towing capacity of a Tundra with the best possible towing configuration is about 10,000 lbs. Depending on the age and equipment, the Salem may well exceed that (all the current models do, but older ones were probably lighter). If the trailer is above about 8500 lbs gvwr, I would suggest a 3/4 ton.

Look for the DOT rating plate on the front left side, as Ed described and use the GVWR as your guide.

Personally I think to find the weight of the trailer you should Click Here  Follow the "Weighing" links.  They can weigh your rig, I suspect they can even get "Tongue weight" for you if you like.

Then while awaiting the appointment load the rig as though you were headed out for a 2 week vacation.

That way you get the REAL weight.. They can give you a lot of advice on tire inflation and such too.

NOTE: There are two tire pressures that are all but guaranteed to be WRONG for your rig

One is the pressure on the sticker somewhere inside

The other is molded or stamped into the sidewall of the tire

The one the folks at the link give you.. They are right.. FOR YOUR RIG AS LOADED..  The rig with a VIN one up from yours.. Might be different.

Thanks to the help I received on this forum, I found the trailer weight - the tag inside the kitchen counter says: GVWR 9675, UVW 7640, and 56 gal water capacity.

Based on this info, is it recommended to get a 3/4 ton or will a 1/2 ton pickup suffice? I plan on leaving the trailer parked on some property at Lake Tahoe, CA. most of the time, moving it up to Tahoe once in the spring and back to Sacramento for winter storage once in the fall, and maybe a couple other trips (300 miles per trip max) per year. My trips to and from Tahoe will be hauling the trailer dry (water, septic, etc will be empty - minimal equipment will be loaded in the trailer).

I can't take the trailer to get it weighed becuase I don't yet have a truck for it.

Thanks for all the help!

Go with the GVWR of 9675.   Your tow vehicle should have a rating of at least 10,700 lbs, if it is a diesel.   If it is a gasser, make that 11,700 lbs to allow for the altitude at Tahoe and the grades getting there and back.

That spells a truck in the F-250 class or higher.   Use the tow rating tables in Trailer Life's website,  CLICK HERE.

Yup, trust me (trust us), you will want the F-250/2500, even if a 150/1500 would do the job.  And a diesel would be better, especially since you mention Tahoe in your post.  Anytime you go in the mountains, the diesel will be better.  Just do yourself a favor and do it right the first time.

There are a few half ton truck configurations that can tow 10,000 lbs, but not many. If you want to sneak by with a half ton for your twice a year haul. make sure its a big enough half ton for the job. And make sure it is as empty as possible when you tow it.

RV Roamer said:
There are a few half ton truck configurations that can tow 10,000 lbs, but not many. If you want to sneak by with a half ton for your twice a year haul. make sure its a big enough half ton for the job. And make sure it is as empty as possible when you tow it.

I dunno Gary.   He is describing one of the more infamous grades in the US -- Donner Summit.   He will pull from an elevation of 50' in Sacramento to over 7300' at Donner Summit --  most of it in the last 40 miles.   Mountain Directory calls out "a 40 mile downgrade westbound".    The back way in to Tahoe, US 50 is worse, going up over 8000'.   I have done both of  those a number of times, towing and not towing.  I would not want to mess around with marginal ratings on either of those bad boys. 

As long as he is not yet committed to a tow vehicle,  I would recommend no less than what I did, with the added caveat of an engine brake device installed on a diesel unit.   

Get a bigger tow truck. This is not an area to skimp on since it has a direct bearing on your safety and anybody around you.  IMHO 1/5 ton is inadequate to handle the load safely.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom