Managing CCC on Sunova/Sightseer 26P (specifically)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maddog348

Great little beast - lots of storage room - BUT - seems like not much weight carrying ability.  Don't think I am a HEAVY packer - I have literally weighed every item in and out - clothes - meds - food - tools - misc. - etc.etc. & still have trouble staying below 16,000# total on scale.

Gone from soda to 'singles' drink packets - from canned goods to dehydrated veggies & beans - from glassware to plastic - replaced lots of other RV kitchen equip to 'backpacking' style/weight.  Travel with water 1/4 -1/3 full - no fire wood - took out 27# EZup put in 15# WallyWorld screen room.  Been working on this for 2 years in prep for going out on longer trips - so don't want to take out ALL my clothes (could change from 'Levi's' to polyester but the thought gags me)

SO !! !! Does anyone out there have any tips - hints - clues - for this 'beast' in particular.  Sticker on bedroom closet wall shows factory installed options 595# -- CCC 853# -- less weight of dealer installed awnings and front end stabilizer. ??? Loaded w/2 people (no dogs) 1/3 water - full fuel 7 propane ...weighed 15,760 CAT Scales 6/31/2008.

Any input will be greatly appreciated  -- THANKS to all,  Kate

Kate - when we stopped fulltiming, we took about 500 pounds off the coach.  I was carrying way too many tools (it's a guy thing) for one.  We could most likely lighten it up by another hundred more pounds.

It sounds like you are doing the right things - we travel with 1/3 water and usually no gray or black.  I bought a stepladder last year for the windshield and instead of getting the cheaper steel one, I went with the more expensive aluminum.  It saved a little weight at least.

850 pounds isn't a lot of CCC to work with.  You are going to need to scrutinize every item you are carrying to determine its importance.

Kate,

This might get more response if it were not posted in the Winnebago Section.  Lots of brands of RVs have limited CCC.  It's a common issue.

However, like you we all watch what we load into our RVs.  When we are doing a short duration trip, we usually pack less.  However, if we are taking a 3-4 month trip, lots of things change.  I take multi-season clothing and often pack extra canned good and sporting equipment.  We have an inflatable boat and if I really need more storage capacity, I leave it at home.  It's really a balancing act and made more difficult if you have a small CCC to begin with.

Marsha~

Our three slide unit is HEAAAAVY, and we have 1,560 lbs of CCC.  Our front axle GAWR is 9,000 lbs and our rear axle GAWR is 15,000 and our total motorhome chassis GVWR is 22,000, so you can see we have some options there.

I was concerned at first by reading all the posts saying "we wouldn't have any unit that had less than 3,000 lbs of CCC", but as it turns out, these concerns were unfounded.  We carry anything we need, and I'm certain that there is really no more space to carry anything else! Luckily, one of our basement storage areas is taken up by the basement air, and the other's are full of stuff that we USE....I just cleaned out junk....maybe 100 lbs of stuff....but they are still full.

I have driven across scales and our unit weighs about 21,000 lbs (give or take 100 lbs either way), with the weight proportionally (60/40 supported rear and front without getting anywhere near the front or rear GAWR's.)  This includes my wife, and my daughter and I with about 1/2 tank of fresh water, full propane, empty holding tanks (sometimes a bit in them), and all the food/toys/stuff we need for our two week vacations (we both work full time).

So, you can see that if you:

A. Get your unit weighed occasionally
B. Stay on top of your axle loadings,
C. Only put what you "need" in the motorhome,
D. Put some heavy stuff in your toad if you have some available GCVW (your motorhome PLUS your towing rating)

You can travel with piece of mind that you are under the weight rating, and are a safe traveler without any worries!  ;D

PS.  Fill your unit with full gas, water, propane, empty holding tanks and GO WEIGH YOUR UNIT (Rocks and landscape places are good to get weighed).  Weigh each axle and then you can see what capacity you ACTUALLY have.   :)

John --  Thanks for the offer.  Have tried on several other forums and ALWAYS get responses from the BIG guys who have a ton or more of CCC (bragging they don't have to worry)  Was hoping for input from someone has the same make/model.  So think I'll just stay put a while. 
I am constantly re-evaluating what is 'need' and what is 'want' - changes with each trip.  What #'s I  am able to take out Maddog(Pam)  adds back in. Does not understand my 'anal' nit-pickey bean counting.

Voyage1 -- Thanks for input. Total gross weight 16,000# (15,760 CATscales ready to go ((except for dogs)) last June).  CCC is about 1/2 of yours. Yes do carry 'odds' - foul weather clothes - etc. in 'toad' -- took rear seats out more room for dogs or stuff while traveling(no dogs don't travel there )

Marsha -- Thanks -- It is the transition to longer stay on road that has me asking.  Pretty well used to loading for week - 10 days  -- It is getting out of the mindset that if I need 2 for a week must I need 8 for a month.  OK OK I know there a grocery stores and laundry facilities.

Thanks again - gotta get back to loading/counting/weighing for next weeks trip.  Kate

Kate (and Mark) - you guys realize the toad is a valuable storage container.  We lived on a sailboat for many years and the two cars were also an extension of the boat.

maddog348 said:
John --  Thanks for the offer.  Have tried on several other forums and ALWAYS get responses from the BIG guys who have a ton or more of CCC (bragging they don't have to worry)  Was hoping for input from someone has the same make/model.  So think I'll just stay put a while. 

Well, that's the beauty of this forum.  There are alot of RVers here that are dealing with something other than a big rig.  The travel trailers, 5th wheels and sometimes gas engine motor homes folks are watching their CCC very carefully too.  

Marsha~

Like John said, The Toad can hold a lot of weight. I do have brakes on my toad & recommend it. Karen & I play music & the amps & drums & speakers, guitar, weigh 220 pounds. We carry this in the toad, a Jeep wrangler with tow brakes. Tools are also in the Jeep. Art

John Canfield said:
Kate (and Mark) - you guys realize the toad is a valuable storage container.  We lived on a sailboat for many years and the two cars were also an extension of the boat.

Yep....look at my "D" on my response.  Good point!  :)

Mark
I also have a 2006 voyage but I have Ford. Less weight CCC as it is only rated for 20,000 lbs. My instruction manual also states if towing without brakes on the toad SUBTRACT 1000 pounds from the GVWR! That would not leave much! Thats why I stated twice in my post I have brakes on toad. How do you like your Voyage. We like ours Art

Art In Mobile said:
Mark
How do you like your Voyage. We like ours Art

Hey Art....can't say we haven't had our fair share of problems, but after 3 years of ironing out these things, we like it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom