Where I Live - Contribute Yours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVOA

Hi Everyone

Ann-Marie and I live in a place called Burnham-on-Sea, in the County of Somerset in England (UK).

Every day we read a website set-up by one of the locals - www.burnham-on-sea.com - as it gives up to the minute info on what's going on around here. Today, they have some fun pictures of local Army Cadets playing in our muddy shoreline.

It got me thinking that it would be good if Forum members could post a little bit about themselves and perhaps provide a link for a similar local website - it would be good to see what's happening in local neighbourhoods without the doom and gloom of the national media.

So, anyone want to contribute?

Paul

Good Day, Paul and Ann Marie,

I don't quite know how to formulate my opinion on your wonderful idea. Let me give it a try and see what happens with other members input.

In this odd World of today, ideologically diverse opinions are rampant. Some are very dangerous and pull people apart. We all know that there are the have's and the have-not's. The have's have a tendency to brag about their situation; beautiful homes, lovely neighbourhoods, living the ideal life.

Others are happy in their modest surroundings and probably won't compete in this project.

I would be happy to participate with my semi-modest situation but I am sure there will be an effect on others not to participate. Let me tell you one little story: I got to know a real nice person in Africa via the Amateur Radio Network. He was a supervisor in a government position, a good job. I was hoping he would become a pen pal. He sent pictures, personal info etc. As soon as I replied with my personal info, although mild, he realized that I was way above a lifestyle that he was enjoying.

The result was... total silence.

I wonder if I made my point. The same thing could happen on this forum.

This is only my point of view. Really look forward to seeing other post replies.

carson FL (ex Flensburg, Germany immigrant in 1951)

Timber Valley SKP Park, Sutherlin, Oregon

http://timbervalleyskp.com/aboutus.html

http://www.nrtoday.com/SECTION/&Profile=1055

Margi and Tom

Hi Carson

I dont think I explained it too well.

It was just to get an idea of where people live and whats going on there - nothing to do with personal wealth or anything like that.

The area we live certainly wouldnt give any idea of our personal circumstances but just gives a snapshot of whats going on in our part of the World.

Some may find reading about other places interesting and would have a person to contact should they be inspired to know more about the place/customs etc.

Paul

Paul, I understand.

Perhaps I was looking at the ugly side of life, which I normally do not do. I am very happy with my lot in life, no coveting here. Let's hope your plan works.

Tata,,carson

RVOA said:
Hi Margi and Tom

WOW - a 5 1/2 year wait to get into your Park - that IS popular.

Paul

I think the webmaster's estimate of wait time is conservative.  It took us six years, two months and nine days --- and yes, we were counting! :D  Three other forum members have lots here.

Margi

Chris and I settled in Discovery Bay, CA for retirement. We'd been coming to the California Delta for over 20 years, towing a boat with a motorhome, or visiting a berthed boat. When it came to retirement, Chris said "I want a house on the water". I didn't get a vote, but I did get to utter Ron's favorite last two words - "yes Dear".

Town of Discovery Bay (Poor web site)

94505.com  (Our zip code; Sorry about the music, only on the home page)

Our communities (Scroll down for photos)

WiKi on Discovery Bay

To Carson's point, we don't live in one of those large houses mansions, but are quite happy with our small retirement home on the water.

We're in Cortez, Colorado, in the southwest corner of Colorado. Very nice, very rural, spectacular scenery, close to Mesa Verde and Durango. We bought a house here when Mike retired from the National Park Service because it was close to where we were at the time, we liked the area, and we could afford the area. It was a temporary place to settle while we decided what we were going to do....that was in 1995 :)

BTW, Cortez has a population around 8000, the county has 20,000. We have a Super WalMart, 2 grocery stores and a variety of fast food restaurants. What else could you possibly need? If we need more, we can jump in the motorhome and go to Denver, Albuquerque, Phoenix, or Salt Lake City, since we're situated between all of those.

Wendy
Morro Bay SP, California

East End, Arkansas.  An unincorporated area of ~20 square miles with a population of about 6000.  "Town" center has all the necessary amenities - gas stations, restaurants, banks, grocery stores, and some retail.  Great place to live if you like a low cost of living and low real estate prices coupled with a bucolic lifestyle and virtually no crime.  Mostly rural in nature, the "town" has ~ 50% of the people.  25 minutes from pretty much anywhere in Little Rock - if you've just gott'a go to Sams'.

Greenwood, VA is at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains at the juncture of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive.  To my west is Waynesboro (10 minutes) and then Staunton (15 minutes) and to my east is Crozet (5 minutes) and then Charlottesville (20 minutes, where I work).  North (45 minutes) is Harrisonburg and east is Wintergreen (15 minutes - Virginia's version of a ski resort).  Two presidents (Woodrow Wilson and Thomas Jefferson) as well as Lewis & Clark were born within a 25 minute drive of my house.  Howie Long and John Grisham live within 15 minutes of my house.  Lady Nancy Astor grew up 5 minutes from my house (for a few years, any way) as did Charles Dana Gibson of Gibson Girl fame.  For a while (in the 1850s) the longest railroad tunnel in the US was 10 minutes from my house.  There is a (past) EPA Superfund site up hill from me.  There's really not a community website that represents the past, present, and future of my community. 

I live in Brigham City Utah.  West of us about 36 miles is the Golden Spike National Monument, where the last spike was driven to join the east and west coast.  they have the replicas of the engines there and have reenactments every year during the summer. Just before you get to that site is ATK the manufacture of the space shuttle reusable rockets and they have a big display, if you look and my profile picture that is a test firing of one.  back in Jan.

We moved to Belgrade in 2000 and bought here because of all the various things in the area to do as well as having family locally.  Pat also needed a house to have a home even though she does like traveling, full time is not her cup of tea.  :)  Thanks to Ron, I found a better description for the area  and have added it first in line.

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/Montana-Info/MT-Info.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bozeman,_Montana
http://www.bozemanchamber.com/#
http://www.city-data.com/city/Bozeman-Montana.html
http://www.museumoftherockies.org/

rjf7g said:
Greenwood, VA is at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains at the juncture of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive.  To my west is Waynesboro (10 minutes) and then Staunton (15 minutes) and to my east is Crozet (5 minutes) and then Charlottesville (20 minutes, where I work).  North (45 minutes) is Harrisonburg and east is Wintergreen (15 minutes - Virginia's version of a ski resort).  Two presidents (Woodrow Wilson and Thomas Jefferson) as well as Lewis & Clark were born within a 25 minute drive of my house.  Howie Long and John Grisham live within 15 minutes of my house.  Lady Nancy Astor grew up 5 minutes from my house (for a few years, any way) as did Charles Dana Gibson of Gibson Girl fame.  For a while (in the 1850s) the longest railroad tunnel in the US was 10 minutes from my house.  There is a (past) EPA Superfund site up hill from me.  There's really not a community website that represents the past, present, and future of my community. 

I grew up on a small farm in Albemarle County, between Charlottesville and Scottsville (Rt 20 and 708).  Beautiful place that I hope to return to someday.  Went to JMU in Harrisonburg, and my best friend lives in Stuarts Draft, so I spend a lot of time up at Sherando in the summer.

Currently live just outside Washington, D.C.  I don't think you need me to post a link to my community, just watch the national news.

Howdy, Paul.

Jack and I live fulltime in our Wanderlodge. Therefore, Home is where we park our bus!!! Winters are usually spent in south Texas. Summers usually find us in Buena Vista, CO, up in the mountains.

Regards,
Jack and  Liz Pearce and Oreo the escape cat.
Currently in Dhanis, TX

We live in the town of Watson NY. Our mail goes to the village of Glenfield 16 miles away . We have a Lowville phone number which is 18 miles in the other direction. All of this is with in Lewis Co where the cows out number people 20 to 1.  We built our home here because we wanted to live away from the hustle of the city. Our home is situated right on the boarder of the Adirondacks park literally if you walk out the back door you are in the park the front of the house is outside the park. It was not planed was found out after we were living here a while. Also in our back yard are the NY horse trails. tug hill is to our west which is a popular snowmobiling destination. In the winter we have almost no neighbors come sumer we when the camps in the area start opening we have lots of neighbors. we get our local news from the local radio station 99.1 FM    www.themoose.net  Our one paper comes out once a week The lowville Carthage journal. The closest grocery store is in Lowville. The kids get on the school bus at 6:30am to get to school by 7:45am.  on clear days we can see across the Vally to Lowville. Most years like this one it starts snowing in October and stops in April it is not uncommon to see snow up in the woods in late may.

We live in Roman Forest, TX.  This was supposed to be the next great "planned community" in the Houston area after Kingwood and The Woodlands.  It never made it.  The developer bugged out shortly after cutting all the roads and getting started.  We even had a golf clubhouse in what would have been the golf course area.  It burned down back in the mid 70's.  What we were left with was a great little hidden gem just north of Houston.  We are an incorporated city with our own mayor, police force, and recently even a fire department.  There are only a couple of very small businesses in the city, otherwise it is all residential.  I live right on a 10 acre lake I share with about 10 other residents, so I can walk out my back door, grab my fishing pole, and go for the Boss Hawg Bass and lunker catfish.  It is a great escape from the city life, but still within driving distance (about 15 minutes) to all the shopping anyone could want.

Roman Forest

We live near a  college town, Athens, Oh, Ohio University. GO Bobcats!! It is beautiful here, rolling hills and brick streets. Pretty state park, friendly people, quiet Unless it is Halloween. Then it comes to life with the famous block party that shuts this town down and wakes it up.

We live in Rochester, NY.  It is the home to several companies we all know of; KODAK, XEROX, Bausch & Lomb, & PAYCHEX.  We also have many universities; the University of Rochester, RIT, and others.  Located about 1.5hrs east of Niagara Falls, we are on Lake Ontario.  We get our share of snow, but it only lasts 3 months. 

We've been working here almost 30 years, so we call it home.  From here we travel most of the east coast enjoying the great RV life!  Our favorite places are along the St. Lawrence River and Maine (shh, its the lobster).  :)

Need to know more about Rochester?  Look here WIKI of Rochester

Back
Top Bottom