Lookng for the Bruce who attended Quartzite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK Bill.

We have filled one job ... the host job we had ourselves last year at Brainard Lake.

There is another easier job at the same pay and same location.  This is tending the main gate into the park.  It is a 30 hour work week at $7.38 an hour.  Doesn't sound like much but if you are a couple, each of you make that amount and it builds up over the summer.  Living expenses are low as the site is free, with water, and sewage.  Your site is at the admin center with 3 other couples.  You will need a generator or solar for power.  We lived off 5 gallons of diesel a week which we transported weekly in our car when we went food shopping.  When we left our tank was fuller than when we arrived.  You never need to turn on the air conditioner.  And the propane is provided for free.  The gate you are tending is about 3 miles down the mountain from the admin center.  The Admin center is right on Brainard Lake.

The job is easier than the host job at the same pay.  Easier because there is no rest room cleaning and no fire pit cleaning.  All you do is collect money and answer questions about the rules.  And occasionally direct auto parking in the park.  Dependability and good health are the assets we are looking for.  Lots of good fellowship among the employees and a great outfit to work for.  And couples work the same shift so they can be off together. Spectacular area along the continental divide with many many places to visit during your off time.  More like a paid vacation than work.

The fishing is superb with some of the best rainbow and brook trout in the world.  Brainard Lake allows live bait, but all the other Lakes and Streams in the area (there are 4 other Lakes within walking distance) are fly fishing only.  Up to 20 inch trout are often caught with 8-12 inches the norm.

Wow, sounds like a good job.  Maybe next year, we have the Old Faithful gig this summer.  Pay is slightly higher but campsite is $1900 a month.  However, you also get electricity. 

If I can learn to keep my expenses low, we could do this for years.  This month we are i Phoenix, at a CG we wouldn't normally stay in, but I have a friend here and transport to airport, as well as somewhat near to our office where I will b working 6 days.  Anyway, the plius sid is it is directly across the street from HRO!  I need a 2m mobile antenna, and looking for a good mobile HF.  Yaesu month and the 857D os on sale under $700!

Hmm, about 100 hours to buy that.

Bill:

I have an 857D and you cannot beat it for the money.  I started hamming when I was a preteen and my first rig was a Heathkit AT1 35 watt cw transmitter and a Heathkit AR2 receiver.  Both which I built at the age of 11. 

I am amazed that an 857D runs 100 watts all modes and all HF bands 160 thru 6 PLUS several UHF bands.  In a tiny box no bigger than box of cigars.  If you plan to run mobile, get the AT120 automatic tuning vertical.

What campground are you at?  We are at El Mirage RV Resort in El Mirage in the West Valley of Phoenix.

PancakeBill said:
campsite is $1900 a month.  However, you also get electricity. 

$1900 a month???????????/ That's over $60 per day. Do you make enough to cover that? Is there anything left after you pay the rent??

Wendy
Cortez CO

PancakeBill said:
I need a 2m mobile antenna, and looking for a good mobile HF.  Yaesu month and the 857D os on sale under $700!

Hmm, about 100 hours to buy that.

Bill,

If you haven't bought it yet get a dual band antenna as many of the areas up here use both 2m and 440.  In our area, 440 is the more popular and is more likely to get a response.  Yellowstone is a VHF/UHF vacuum although you can get a few repeaters from the mountain tops.

PancakeBill said:
Wow, sounds like a good job.  Maybe next year, we have the Old Faithful gig this summer.  Pay is slightly higher but campsite is $1900 a month.  However, you also get electricity. 

Wow I didn't think there was anything for rent that would cost that much around yellowstone. :D

Bill:

What Jim says is true about 440.  My latest handheld has both bands and in certain areas 440 is awesome.

Wendy:

I bet Bill meant 1900 for the season.  As I recall at Quartzite we interviewed a year ago another company (maybe the same as Bill's) that charged for the campsite.  The charge was significant, but they also paid higher to compensate for it.  I prefer the lower wage and the free campsite for tax reasons.  The latest IRS rule permits free campsite if it is necessary to the employer and not simply for the convenience of the employee.  Most workcamper assignments meet that criteria because of the odd hours, job duties., and on site residency requirements.  As a host it was not unusual for us to get 3 am knocks on the door LOL.

oops.  1800 typo, rent is 100 a month.

I have a tri band HT, thought it might be a little weak for there. 

I also have the 2m mobile, not yet installed.  The antenna I looked at yesterday is a dual band 2/440. 
We are in Royal Palm on Dunlap.  2000 block.  Directly across from HRO.

Whew. You scared me with that $1800. $100 sounds like a bargain !

Wendy
Cortez CO

Wow Bill!  Across the street from the greatest toy store in the world??!!

I don't think I could last a week there without becoming destitute.  But I sure would have a lot of new toys to play with!!   :eek:

OH!  I almost forgot.

I wanted to tell you that Yaesu sells a device for the 857D that automatically senses whether you are transmitting UHF or VHF and then selects the proper antenna.  I think it sells for about $50 or so.  I have one and it works very well.  With the AT120 screwdriver automatic antenna and a duo band UHF vertical, you would have all bands 80 through 440 in a compact, seamless configuration.  I have that but I only have the 2 meter external antenna.  I have been using handheld for 440.  I wish I had bought the duoband vertical though.

The AT120 does not cover 80 and 160, but most of us RVers don't have room for those kinds of antennas anyway.  I will possibly put up a wire antenna for 80 at my summer campsite.  If the sunspots start to reappear.  What the heck happened to the sunspot cycle anyway?

I just found you on the google map.  I was nearby yesterday, spent a couple minutes (hours) at Cabelas.

I think my Icom 746 and 706 had that sensor built in. 

While we are so close, we need to grab a coffee.  Cabelas or HRO?

Back
Top Bottom