Microwave - RV or conventional

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CampinDon

This is probably a newbie question...? We just got a Fleetwood, Coloinal folding camper for the family and my dear wife wants to add a microwave.? We were told that we shouldn't buy a small one from Walmart, but get one from a RV place: Camping World, etc.? Question: What's the difference? ???? We don't plan on trying to run it from batteries, just when plugged in at a camp ground.? Any help would be appreciated.?

Oh, by the way.? Took the kids camping in it last night, just in the yard and had a blast!? It rained and I really enjoyed it!? ?8)

We had a cheapie Wal-Mart microwave in our Class C for almost 15 years. Never had a single problem with it.

Wendy

CampinDon said:
This is probably a newbie question...? We just got a Fleetwood, Valor folding camper for the family and my dear wife wants to add a microwave.? We were told that we shouldn't buy a small one from Walmart, but get one from a RV place: Camping World, etc.? Question: What's the difference? ???? We don't plan on trying to run it from batteries, just when plugged in at a camp ground.? Any help would be appreciated.?

Oh, by the way.? Took the kids camping in it last night, just in the yard and had a blast!? It rained and I really enjoyed it!? ?8)

The only reason that I can see for buying a microwave at an RV place would be if one might feel better paying the extra bucks for the same thing. ;D ;D ;D

If you find one in Wal-Mart or someplace else that your wife would be happy with by all means get that.  IMHO the most important thing here would be KEEP MAMA HAPPY.

From what I can see of the microwave in my Motor Home the only difference between it and many models you can buy at, Please, any appliance store OTHER THAN WAL MART, IE: Costco, Meijer's Best Buy, Circuit City, Sears, K-Mart, Many more. 

Is the name on the front

They all work the same, they all have basically the same electrnoics,  The one in my MH appears to be a re-lableed SHARP from what I can see of it.  Or at least a Sharp design... (Prefer Tappins myself)

One word of caution:

When I buy a microwave I do a complete physical inspection... I have seen at least one brand of convertable (Counter top or under counter) microwave where I was able to "See light" entering the cooking chamber from outside the microwave, In fact there was a very clear hole about 1/4 inch in diamater.

There are only two places light should enter the compartment and only one where it should leave

ONE is the place where the interior lamp shines (if there is one, if not then only one place) the other is thorough the shielded glass in the front.  A hole that big in the back would leak microwaves, and this is not a good thing.

NOTE: this was not an "RV" brand, but a K-mart one.. K-mart exchanged it for a better one (no holes) w/o problems.

To the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as an "RV type" microwave.  My motorhome comes factory equipped with a standard GE Profile microwave/convection oven, andour  previous rigs have also had standard consumer model microwaves.

Buy whatever brand you like, from whatever store you like.

I'm pretty sure anything would work, but the owner's manual for my families' Terry TT says to only use "Magic Chef" brand microwave. From what I can tell, the only difference between this mircrowave and other is where is vents to....the whole thing is sealed around the body, just the front above the door is vented, but this microwave is 10 years old, so you may not even need to vent them anymore.

Good point about the vents - if the microwave is to be mounted in the wall, you need to consider venting, especially for combination convection oven/microwaves.  But venting or not, and the location of the vents, is a factor of the particular model of microwave and not the brand name.  Magic Chef makes several different styles, as do GE, Samsung, LG, Sharp, etc. and Magic Chef is not an RV-specific brand.    Most small tabletop microwaves have only a few small vents at the sides or perhaps underneath.  Larger models and those intended for wall mounts generally include provisions for venting forward (back into the room) or back/upward to a duct to the outside. A convection microwave always has vents (because convection cooking generates lots of heat).

For example, the GE Profile Spacemaker convection/microwave I have can be vented externally or vented back into the room via a grill above the door.  Mine in my Dolphin is vented externally while the exact same model in the DeMars' Beaver is vented back into the RV.

1996terry said:
I'm pretty sure anything would work, but the owner's manual for my families' Terry TT says to only use "Magic Chef" brand microwave. From what I can tell, the only difference between this mircrowave and other is where is vents to....the whole thing is sealed around the body, just the front above the door is vented, but this microwave is 10 years old, so you may not even need to vent them anymore.

My Tapping (House Microwave) vents to the front too, ALL microwaves need to be vented, Any good cook can tell you why, no vent, they will explode (Steam explosion, not hazordous, unless you are leaning against it when it pops, but very messy)

Thanks for all the suggests!? You were all correct.? :D? I guess any old microwave is pretty much the same.? I borrowed an old, heavy, nuker and it worked just fine.? Never popped the breaker even while running the AC full blast.? So, trip 1 is in the bag and it worked great.? Got another planned out in a few weeks for Carlsbad.? I think we're going to enjoy this RV thing.

Campin Don.

CampinDon said:
Thanks for all the suggests!  You were all correct.  :D  I guess any old microwave is pretty much the same.  I borrowed an old, heavy, nuker and it worked just fine.  Never popped the breaker even while running the AC full blast.  So, trip 1 is in the bag and it worked great.  Got another planned out in a few weeks for Carlsbad.  I think we're going to enjoy this RV thing.

Campin Don.

Hi Campin Don,

As you found out, the only difference between an RV microwave and a home microwave is the mounting plate. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom