Roundabout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When we lived in Sydney Australia there were all kinds of roundabouts big ones and small ones.  Some of the local truck drivers would just drive the front of the trouck on around the roundabout and let the rear wheels go where every they may even through the grass or flowers. 

Regularguy,

Yes it is the Magellan that I have.

I would have thought you'd say "Yes, it's the TomTom"  ;D

Since they drive on the left side of the road, entering a roundabout by turning right would likely be a real mess  ;D

Tom said:
Regularguy,

I would have thought you'd say "Yes, it's the TomTom"  ;D

Since they drive on the left side of the road, entering a roundabout by turning right would likely be a real mess  ;D
BTW the GPS in my truck is factory / Harmin Cardin (i know they changed one of the names but can't remember it) but it uses the same software as the Garmin. I actually did think of saying, "Tom Tom" LOL

Tom said:
Regularguy,

I would think so.  Sure wouldn't want to be in the vehicle if the driver turned right where they should turn left in the roundabout.

Ron said:
I would think so.  Sure wouldn't want to be in the vehicle if the driver turned right where they should turn left in the roundabout.
actually that would make for a good ride at an amusement park. Even if one knew what were about to happen, it would still be quite the thrill. using stunt drivers and not traveling at too great a speed... They could even put someone in character, like a nerd... or someone goofy... ok then Disney could do it and really use goofy. I LIKE IT!!! LOL

You have a good idea.. I think you might wish to contact.. Or better yet I"ll do it.

According to the folks who count beans and report on how many beans were counted as opposed to how many were not counted  Round-a-bouts are SAFER than a signal controlled intersection, which in turn is safer than a stop sign, which in turn is safer than a non-controlled interseciton.

That's what they say

What do I say?

Well.. I grew up not all that far from one, (The brooks Memorial Fountain in Marshall, Michigan) and thus learned them young.. Still

I DO NOT LIKE THEM (Save for that one.. it is kind of special)

I personally feel that they are confusing to many (Myself included in some cases and I have the forsight to get through them most of the time) and are likely to cause more accidents (Though lower impact I do admit)

I think I"ll submit an idea to a few folks

They put one in a few years ago at one end of Music Row in Nashville, not only is it very tight even for my truck witout the 5er but they put a "naked" statue in the center to help people to focus better ;D.

Tom said:
Looks like this discussion got hijacked  :(

Un-un. We're still talking about roundabouts. People might like the ones with the naked statues better than the ones without naked statues. :)

Wendy

Keep them coming guys - we Brits are finding your dislike and confusion concerning roundabouts most enjoyable - I havent laughed so much at a thread for ages.  ;D

I mentioned the "Magic Roundabout" in Swindon, UK some time ago - See HERE

This roundabout consists of one large central roundabout and 5 smaller ones around the outside (see photo on above link)

I actually drove it in my 40ft, 26ton Truck last week. The first time it was really quiet and I didnt actually notice I was on it - until I had to return and the traffic was much busier. I was certainly aware of it that time.  :eek: :eek:

We've always had roundabouts over here and they are much easier and quicker than having traffic lights or T-junctions. We also have very small roundabouts which are basically just a bit of raised tarmac painted white; these are ideal for trucks (and RVs) as they are designed for larger vehicles to just drive across.

Paul

A few years ago...quite a few now, a  British 'Bobby' (who shall remain nameless ;D) would often elect to perform 'traffic control' duties at a certain roundabout in town.  It was at the center of town with several major and a few minor side roads all coming together at the roundabout.  Invariably he would be asked by a tourist or two - usually American in those days, where certain shops or landmarks were.  He took great delight to provide very detailed 'directions' and wished them well.  Then he timed them to see how long it took for them to re-emerge on the other side of the same roundabout coming back around, still looking for their destination and even more confused than before but at least there was another 'Bobby' on traffic control to point them in the right direction again...  They all look the same in uniform...Oh fun times!

BT

LOL Paul, I think I'd give the Magic Roundabout a miss!

these are ideal for trucks (and RVs) as they are designed for larger vehicles to just drive across.

I've driven across a few of those, and a few that weren't intended for that purpose  ;D

Last time we went to the UK, I exited the car rental place at Heathrow and proceeded to turn right on the first roundabout (i.e. I went around the wrong way). Fortunately, I only needed to go one exit and there was little traffic around. A bus driver going around the correct way kindly stopped to let me by. My wife made some kind of a "dumb tourist" gesture, and he laughed. Glad there wasn't a bobby around to see me do that.

We found the bobby just down the road; Some idiot was standing in the middle of a roundabout pointing something at the planes taking off from the runway on the other side of the fence. Presumably, he was taking photos, but he got the attention of the boys in blue.

RVOA said:
Keep them coming guys - we Brits are finding your dislike and confusion concerning roundabouts most enjoyable - I havent laughed so much at a thread for ages.  ;D

I mentioned the "Magic Roundabout" in Swindon, UK some time ago - See HERE

This roundabout consists of one large central roundabout and 5 smaller ones around the outside (see photo on above link)

I actually drove it in my 40ft, 26ton Truck last week. The first time it was really quiet and I didnt actually notice I was on it - until I had to return and the traffic was much busier. I was certainly aware of it that time.  :eek: :eek:

We've always had roundabouts over here and they are much easier and quicker than having traffic lights or T-junctions. We also have very small roundabouts which are basically just a bit of raised tarmac painted white; these are ideal for trucks (and RVs) as they are designed for larger vehicles to just drive across.

Paul
LOL I mentioned building an amusement ride based on a "roundabout". With this "magic roundabout" it seems that someone has already. Oh my! They would probably find my vehicle parked with a sign reading, "take it, I don't want to do this anymore"

ArdraF said:
There are two in the Las Vegas area known as Summerlin.  I saw one somewhere in California too, but can't recall where it is.
ArdraF

I think it was in Truckee, CA  where I was in one a couple of weeks ago in my small RV.  I think the most important rule for people to know is those in the roundabout have the right-away, all  others have to wait to safely get in.

IMO, they are a good idea, as most often, nobody has to stop and it keeps the traffic moving better.

-Don- SSF, CA

Well.  are not all statues naked (I mean who puts cloths on a hunk of stone?) (Don't answer that, it happens here in Detroit on occasion)

The one in Marshall Michigan has a fountain and small park in it's center, (Brooks Memorial Fountain) this is big enough that it's good training and easy to get around even with a large vehicle.... IN fact before the construciton of I-69 this was on US-27 the main N/S road in the center of Michigan.

However the smaller ones off I-75 up around, I think Standish (not sure, it's near the Flying-J near the Zilwakee bridge)  Those are smaller and not nearly as well done as the Brooks circle

I happen to like the rotaries as, as others have said, they keep the traffic moving.  And if you remember that the ones already in the rotary have the right of way it's easy.  What I don't like are the crazy morons, who know exactly where they are going, and come on the rotary, oblivious to other traffic, going like blazes and then sometimes blocking the path you need to take off of it. I've had to go around once or twice to get a chance to maneuver right to get off again.  Courtesy, more often than not, sadly lacks.  But that goes in any kind of traffic any more.  Don't think it's taught anymore in driving schools......  ;)

Daisy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom