1 or 2 axles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lesa

I am a new RVer and a women to boot!! so to all the men out there bear with me and my questions. I am looking to buy my first TT. Wanting something simple and size does not really concern me except for the towing part. I have lilmited experience on towing and will only be going a few hours from home on my trips. My thinking is to go with short 17-19 ft. trailers.  Someone told me that size (17-19 ft) of trailer is only a single axle and will have more sway than say a 21 ft on two axles and should consider a 21 ft. Is this so and is there much difference  in towing these sizes? Once again I thank you in advance for any help and input on this.

I myself perfer 2 axles but either one with practise you will get used to an anti sway device will help. as far as the length a longer trailer is easier to back up than a shorter trailer. Best thing you can do for your self is go to an empty parking lot and practise backing into spots from diffrent angles. a tip is to all ways try to back from the drivers side which is also referred to as your see side. when getting ready to back put both hands on the bottom and if you want to turn the back of the trailer left push th bottom of the wheel left same gos for making back go right push the bottom of the wheel right. There are some great sites on google just google backing a trailer. Also Patric driving around and turning so to get a feel what the trailer dose when you turn. take your time and you will do fine.

This Dexter manual may help with trailer/axle size.

Now our first trailer was a Trailmanor 3124. Thats 31 feet opened & 24ft closed. It had a single axle and was the easiest trailer I've ever pulled.

Lots of things affect the tendency to sway and the number of axles is a relatively minor one. Most all conventional travel trailers will have two axles anyway. You would probably have to be looking under 15 feet, at something like the Forest River R-pod, or at a pop-up or fold down to get a single axle trailer.

Aren't you glad there is ONE decision you won't have to worry about?

My first TT had a single axle it was 19ft coarsair i didn't really notice much for sway, but it was very different to back up it turned a lot quicker.

glen54737 said:
My first TT had a single axle it was 19ft coarsair i didn't really notice much for sway, but it was very different to back up it turned a lot quicker.
Thats exactly right the shorter the trailer the quicker it turns.

Thank you everyone on the clarification. A big thank you to Steve on the back up instructions. Instead of so much fear, I am actually getting excited and can't wait to go out and practice. You guys are the greatest!!!!

Lesa,
Please Keep us up to date on your future purchase of a TT. Also don't be afraid to keep asking questions. The folks on this forum are eager to help you out and we love pictures. Good Luck in your search For your RV .

plus since your a lady two axels will be easier if you decide to unhook and go for a spin when you get to a campsite

http://www.chautosales.com/index.php?content=feature&vehicle_id=279  Okay I am back again! I hope you can open this link and see the camper I am looking at. It is like brand new condition on the inside and right at the NADA value. The only problem it has some paint chipping away on the front top by the words. Hope you can all see that. I emailed the dealer to see if he would go down in price d/t that so hope to hear somethin back. What do you guys think of this problem? Will it continue to worsen  or is there something to put on so it does not get worse? I just seem to find the right one and then something is always wrong with it. But the right one is out there!

Hey looks good the paint missing on the front is easy enough to touch up. How is the inside? How are the tires? Do all the appliances work? how is the battery? Are there any signs of roof leak's inside? I googled this brand and year.  Looks like a nice floor plan for one or two poeple. Good luck.

Steve--So you think this paint missing is a easy fixed?? I wonder why it did that for only being a 2007?? I did go look at it today. The dealer is in the process of moving all his RV's over to a different town. So this one and another one were sitting on a empty lot with no one to ask questions. I did call the owner he said to go look at it , that it was unlocked. So I didnt get to test anything out or ask anyone any questions. My main thing before I start asking any questions was just to find out about the paint and go from there. I liked the floor plan, just the right size for me, everthing inside looked brand new like its never been used. The paint thing just has me puzzled and concerned?????

looks like maybe it got hit by rocks or something and that chipped it but not sure. But Little sanding and painting with the right.paint and It will look like new.  Just take your time and make sure everything works. I hope this dealer dose not steer you wrong. Well again good luck.

No information in that ad to make much of a judgment on. Not even an interior picture. I wouldn't get too excited until I had a closer look.

Paint is cosmetic and probably not hard to fix. One wonders what happened to cause it, though.

Hi Gary, When I asked the dealer what he thought caused it he said "looks like they might of drove it through some hail but it didnt leave any dents" I'm not sure . Due to this paint issue and the wt. I decided to move on and keep looking. I sure hope no feels like I am wasting their time with the questions I have on each new one I start thinking about. I appreciate everything.

I think you are making a good decision. As fare as the questions I don't think any one on this forum would feel like you are wasting their time. Once again good luck with your search. You will know when you find the right deal and there are a lot of good deals out there right now.

Back
Top Bottom