Is South Dakota the new Montana?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

29er

While traveling to and returning from Salt Lake City last month, I remarked to Beth about all the motorhomes & towed with South Dakota license plates.
Today at Camping World at LV RV there were six (6) cars , most had visible tow parts showing, with SD plates. What's going on?
I started to think Terry Brewer was replatting his SD property, but decided he wasn't.

Kerry

SD has been one of the few states that's a good choice for the full timer, particularly due to the low sales tax (3% I believe) and liberal licensing and registration policies.

In the RV park we are at, MT & SD are the most prevalent for fulltimers, and even some part-timers.  TX used to be the most seen, but not as much any more :-\

I seriously doubt that there has been any decrease of RVers registering in TX.  Texas, FL, and SD seems to be the most popular places to register.  The main reason for so many MT plates is the use of LLC to get around paying sales tax.  Most of the folks with MT plates are actually residents of another state.

We chose SD for the following principal reasons:

Low sales tax rates: (3% on vehicles), our 2001 Tradewind's plates are less than $200 per year, low vehicles insurance rates, no income tax, inheritance taxes, or annual use taxes on vehicles. SD also has no driving tests if you have a current license when you apply ($8 for 5 years), no annual vehicle inspections and SD openly acknowledges full timing issues like no permanent physical residence and not being available for jury duty. (We can easily register for absentee ballots and can vote in state and national elections without being in SD. If we want to vote in Minnehaha County's local elections we must have been a residing there for the 30 days before the elections).

Thanks Jeff for the info and to others as well.  We have been scoping out various States and it came down to Texas and SD.  Looks like SD is tilted in our favor.  We are planning to go to Souix Falls this summer to become South Dakotans.  Any places we should stay while there?  Any particular clerks at DMV.  Do Motorcycle Endorsements transfer?  Who has a good mail service?  We like the idea of SD as it is close to Carol;d family in Nebraska. 

Jeff: As noted above: great response.  One item differs for us, USAA insurance wants to know where are vehicles will be at the most. Bad grammar, but they have to base their rates on the state where the vehicle will be located the greatest amount of time.

Kerry

Our mail service is Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls. We stayed at the KOA on the NE edge of the city to get registered for voting and they mailed our voter registrations to us in the envelope we left .

You can check on info about SD Drivers Licenses Here.

Back
Top Bottom