Firestone Ride Rite - correct pressure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ETMike

Hi all,

I recently acquired my first RV, a slightly used 2007 model Coachmen Concord 275DS.  During the all too brief orientation session with the service tech at the dealer, he mentioned that the pressure in the air assist rear suspension should be kept at 5-20 psi.  I should have asked for more guidance on this, but didn't.

After reading through the somewhat generic Coachmen owners manual, I noted that it indicated a pressure of (if I remember correctly) 5-100 psi, with no mention of any specific model.  Several searchs through Google have failed to turn up any better information, and I am concerned about what information is correct.  So far I have been running the pressure at 20 psi, since that is within limits regardless of which figures I go by.

Looking for anyone's experience with the Firestone Ride Rite system and RVs, particularly the class C sized motor homes.  What pressure are you running and what do you feel is too much, too little, etc.  Any reference materials available that could be accessed on the web?

Thanks for any assistance,
Mike in E. Tex.

Edit:

After FINALLY getting through to Coachmen's customer support, here is what I was told.  Correct pressure is 20-100 psi.  The "rule of thumb", he said, is to use 1 psi for each 50 lbs. of weight on each rear wheel set.  His example was that if the total loaded weight on the rear axle was 8000 lbs., then divide by 2 for the weight per side, then divide by 50, resulting in a correct pressure of 80 psi in each air bag.

How does this compare with anyone else's experience?

This turned out to be yet another bad piece of information I received from the dealer's rep. during the check-out orientation.  I had even called him back to verify this and other information he had given me, only to be again told that what he had said was correct, despite the fact that it did not agree with what was in the owner's manual.  Note to self: Trust the owners manual

Back
Top Bottom