Should I buy this trailer? Can my new truck handle it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1boltzfan

Hello, and thanks for any advice you can give me.

I am considering a few different toy haulers that I will tow with a new 2009 Ford F150 crew cab short bed.  My max towing capacity with the 5.4 ltr. engine with is #9200.  My trips will be mainly me and my wife, 2 dogs, and 2 motorcycles that weigh approx. #1100, and the typical food and gear.

One of the trailer's I like is the Work and Play 28DB with a dry weight of #7521.  See link to floorplan and specs below if you like.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/printplanview.asp?nav=rec&name=2&page=worknp&series=DBModel

I am new to RV'ing and towing, so I don't want to overload my new truck, and more importantly be unsafe.  I am thinking this trailer may be maxing out my truck or worse, so I'm looking to some people who know more for advice. 

Thanks,

Scott

Ron said:
Please provide the GVWR.  Dry weight is usually incorrect and really has no bearing unless you are going to trtavel empty.

The GVWR of the trailer is #11,300 I believe.

The GVWR of the trailer is #11,300 I believe.

Well, there's your answer. TOO much.

Since this is a toyhauler, the 1100 lbs of motorcycle are part of the trailer load. The trailer dry weight doesn't even include propane, so it is going to be maybe 7500 lbs to start with no water. There is always at least some residual water in the tanks too. You are looking at around 8700 lbs with the bikes on board and before any food, beverages or gear. I think you are going to hit 9200+ lbs quickly and you haven't even allowed for the weight of the wife and two dogs in the truck yet. Guess they will have to stay home.

With a 9200 lb tow capacity and the need to carry a passenger and two dogs, you need to be looking at rigs with a gvwr under 8700 lbs.

Thanks Gary, what you are saying makes sense to me, and confirms my doubts as to why I shouldn't buy this unit.  I am curious, however, how you came up with me needing to stay at 8700lbs max GVWR?

Thanks,

Scott

I am curious, however, how you came up with me needing to stay at 8700lbs max GVWR?

Pure SWAG, tempered by years of experience.

Normally we would say 10% under the 9200, which would be 8280, but  that's probably ultra conservative in this case. I allowed 300 lbs for the wife and two dogs (hope you have BIG dogs or she will probably kill me!) and another 200 lbs for the hitch and miscellaneous gear, for a total of 500 lbs to be subtracted from the 9200 max.

If you go to 8700 lbs, your F150 is going to be working hard, but it will get the job done as long as you don't expect hot performance.

Back
Top Bottom